UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> How many remember this one!

7/15/09 8:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BadBradBurrick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TFC Fightzone Brings MMA
Back to Michigan

By Rick "The Madman" McChristian

It all started at 7:00 PM July 20th in Southgate, MI., a state known for its great fighters and tough amateurs. The place was the Crystal Gardens, a beautiful facility for promoters Dave and Lori Gomez to put on a great show. On the heels of their last show in Fort Wayne Indiana on February the 26th, the Gomez organization once again struck MMA gold. They held this event, which is only there second, in a bold attempt to bring MMA back to Michigan, a feat not successful since UFC 9. After getting approval from the athletic commission months in advance TFC began the plans to present an excellent event. It was on!

From the opening fight to the last 30-minute war, the whole event went off without a hitch. "Q-bone" Quincy Rice had the best seat in the house. He was the special guest referee and did an outstanding job, as he stayed right on top of the action. Cage-side had the judges panel consisting of the reigning Women's World Champion, Becky "The Specimen" Levy, professional fighter, Angelo Popofski and the only 3 time Danger Zone champ Shannon "The Sandman" Stebelton. Also at cage-side were the fight doctor and his staff ready to give all necessary aid to the fighters. The venue for this event was simply awesome. The garden held over a thousand on this night, the crowd was comfortably seated at tables around the cage, the lighting was superb and the multicolored strobe lights added an extra touch of showmanship to the presentation. The capacity crowd cheered and clapped and was up out of their seats for the most of this show. TFC crowned 3 new champions, a lightweight, and a middleweight and light heavy weight.

First off in the middleweight championship bout it was a tough fighter Jason Ireland and simply amazing fighter CJ Fernandes who battled it out to see who would become TFC's first champ. Both fighters came to fight as it went back and forth for the duration, Fernandes finally emerged victorious. The second championship bout featured two fighters who were in excellent physical shape, a sturdy wrestler named Jeff Whales came out first to meet an impressive Brandon Seguin, this was a total war that went the distance with Seguin dominating the take downs and really showing great striking ability. Whales seemed content with trying to shoot in on Seguin, which Seguin mostly countered, and didn't seem particularly effective until something during the second round snapped within the young warrior. He became more aggressive as he stepped it up and started taking it to Brandon. Jeff started doing some damage but it seemed to be too little too late. As the third round started it seemed to be more of the same, Seguin was all over Whales. As the round was coming to an end the ref said seven little words that seemed to incite a rage deep within Seguin; they were "ok one minute left, who wants it?" Seguin totally unleashed everything he had left in a flurry of strikes and kicks that whipped the crowd into a complete frenzy. When it went to a decision, it took the panel less than a minute to decide the new TFC Light Heavyweight champ, Brandon Seguin would emerge this night victorious.

The last championship bout of the night featured the Gomez Academy's knock out artist, David Knaggs, against Sean Wilmont, this one was no surprise. A two-man war going the distance. It was back and forth and so evenly matched that you could not tell who was winning. The exchange of strikes between these two determined fighters was fast and furious and when it went to the ground you could compare it to two snakes intertwined with each seeking a better position. Finally and sadly this grand dance had to end. The winner in a split decision was Sean Wilmont. Apparently Knaggs had a point subtracted for a foul against Wilmont, ironically the fate of this fight came down to a single strike. Without the foul, this fight would have most certainly been a draw, both fighters simply gave it there all.

Other great local and out of state fighters competed as well. Fighters such as a two time winner that night Eddie Sanchez,"Bad"Brad Burrick, the Hawkins brothers, Scott and Brian, who absolutely showed that they came to fight and looked very impressive, in fact Brian won over Russell little in only 8 seconds….by KO! Other action included Gerry Disanto, Stephen Lopez and Steve Colegio and many more great fighters. There were over 13 very well matched fights and not a boring fight in the bunch. All showed they were competitors and we look forward to seeing them fight again.

I would like to offer my prayers to Ronald Rumph and his family. Ronald was set to compete when he received word that his family was involved in a car accident back home. We at Intense Combat send him and his family our best wishes and will keep him in our thoughts.

We are looking forward to the next show in October where Mr. Royce Gracie will make his return to cage side at TFC, that's October the 19th 2000 in beautiful Crystal Gardens in Southgate, Michigan. The Madman will see you there!

7/15/09 9:34 PM
TrainBJJ

haha a referance to my brother even:)
7/16/09 1:45 AM
Mark1

I was there.

The hayday of the Gomez Academy.

Mark
7/16/09 9:47 AM
dennisv
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was there. I booed Bad Brad.
7/16/09 3:53 PM
DaveGarcia
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What ever happened to CJ Fernandes?
7/16/09 5:21 PM
dennisv
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to Sherdog he fought in January.
7/16/09 5:26 PM
DR1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that was the event that Scott Hawkins knocked his opponents' teeth out.
7/18/09 8:38 PM
TrainBJJ

Yeah, he fucked that cat up...I remember watching him convulse...He didnt wake up for a while..I let the doctor handle it.
7/19/09 10:12 AM
jay@tap-or-snap
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Odd, I remember none of this? I do however remember being in one of the side "warm up rooms" and some poor banquet server coming in while Seguin was ranting on about some 16 inch cock. Poor kid ran out of there as fast as he could cheeks clinched in fear.
7/20/09 6:30 PM
jokerman13922

found a fight for you jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Michigan Fighting Challenge is looking for an amateur light heavyweight (186-205) contender to fight Jon Green for the championship on August 7, 2009 at the Glenn Stock Arena. The event will he held at the Monroe County Fairgrounds in Monroe, MI. His amateur record is 4-0.

If interested please email fight resume to monroemartialarts@ameritech.net. Only serious inquires please.

www.usafighting.net
7/21/09 1:17 PM
jay@tap-or-snap
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You kidding me Im not cutting to 205!
7/21/09 1:52 PM
DaveGarcia
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was Brendan saying about my cock?

7/22/09 1:38 PM
jokerman13922

jay@tap-or-snap - You kidding me Im not cutting to 205!

lol i knew it you are in the same boat as me!!
8/1/09 3:47 PM
Brandon TheSissy Gallo

that guy always talks about cocks, i just thought he was really in to chicken fighting

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.