UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Inertia switch?

7/16/09 9:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KenBania
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an old Bronco I use for four wheelin in the woods when camping. I hit a huge whoop and got airborne and came down pretty hard. The engine stalled and would not start again.
My mechanic friend just said its most likely the inertia switch (over the phone 239 miles away)but didnt know where it was on my truck.
I have to look for this switch but dont know what it looks like. Is it a little toggle switch? A button?
He said it could be in the engine compartment, or by the emergency brake, or passenger side kick plate.
Any advice?
7/17/09 2:27 AM
White347LX
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What year Bronco?

I assume it's 87 or newer to be fuel injected, but they moved the switch around over the years.

It's probably on either the driver or passenger side kick panel under the dash. It's about 2 inches across and has a reset button on top.
7/17/09 8:32 PM
KenBania
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a 1990. Im back home now but plan to go back upstate in a few weeks to find this switch. Thank you.
7/18/09 1:56 AM
White347LX
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is what you're looking for. The button on top is round and red:

9/7/09 11:46 PM
KenBania

Well I found the switch. Thank you. It was next to the steering column, above the brake pedal. The button is down. Now I have to figure out why the fuel pump is not turning on. Usually, when I turn the key, I would hear fuel pump humm and it starts right up.

Now, theres no hum from the fuel pump and it wont start.
One guy told me to bang on the gas tank a bit. I would think there is a blown fuse or something unplugged after the landing.

Could the fuel pump wires just disconnect after a hard jolt?
9/8/09 10:18 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you get the check engine light on the dash when the key is on?

If not, your ecu/brain/pcm might be having trouble such that it is either being put into crisis by a bad sensor or the brain itself has a bad power circuit.

If you do have a check engine light, unplug the throttle position sensor and see if one of the terminals on the connector has +5v.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.