UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Fake belts!!

7/22/09 7:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Angelo Popofski
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol. We got you covered dude. I'll even throw in that you beat Royce Gracie (pronounced with an "R") for ya.
7/22/09 7:56 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, don't you think for one minute I didn't mention the number times (three) that I've "hung out" with good friend Royce.

And my dominating performance in the GJJ National Championships (gold medal in my weight class as a white belt) may have slipped out too.

I'd appriciate if you'd corroborate these impressive details, please.

Mark
7/22/09 9:17 PM
Kyle Cooley
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Angelo, btw, whats your email?
7/22/09 11:37 PM
dc1

Matt fought Jason on that card and Jason Dominated him all 3 rounds on the ground - Jason is a 2 stripe White Belt...
7/23/09 4:22 PM
Angelo Popofski
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dc1 - Matt fought Jason on that card and Jason Dominated him all 3 rounds on the ground - Jason is a 2 stripe White Belt...

Lol... Nice!!!
7/30/09 9:42 PM
DR1
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason isn't your normal 2 stripe white belt but still good point. Matt is a legit fighter and doesn't need to lie. I will never understand these people. I trained with Matt and I'm a black belt and he certainly didn't tap me out.
10/11/09 4:58 AM
Kforcer

You guys, Jason Holmes is a HIGH SCHOOL NATIONAL CHAMPION. Anyone who has wrestled knows what a feat that is.

I met Jason--I competed against him in a tournament this past March or so--and I went to elementary school and high school with Matt. Both are definitely tough guys.

Jason is a very cool, very humble guy. But he's also a guy that is an elite wrestler. Losing to him on the ground, especially with the option of ground and pound, is no shame. Again, the man was a high school national champion. There is but one national champion in each weight class in senior nationals; not like state champions where they have different divisions, etc.

I have not trained with Matt since high school wrestling and high school wrestling and one playground fight in 3rd grade was my only exposure--direct exposure--to his grappling. That said, I know a bit about him from my friends and I also peruse the internet a lot and I know that he has a very good record in MMA and has beaten some tough characters and is spoken of quite highly by a variety of people as regards his skills.

A result like that doesn't speak to deficiencies on Matt's part, it says more about how tough Jason is and how formidable the skills of a high school national champ are to cope with.
10/11/09 5:02 AM
Kforcer

In 1996, at 152 pounds, national champion:

http://www.tech-fall.com/HSNATCHMPS.html

Certainly no shame in Matt losing to the guy. Granted, for guys who have actually trained with him in the past 10 years, you guys definitely know more about him than I do.
10/11/09 5:04 AM
Kforcer

BTW, Dan Smith is not the only ranked instructor in Lansing or East Lansing. There's Scott Han, who is a very good instructor and a very knowledgeable and insightful grappler. Intending no offense to Daniel Smith, I trained a single one on one lesson with Mr. Smith during a "shoot wrestling" class that nobody by myself showed up for and have also had the pleasure of training with Scott Han several times and my experience with Scott was much more pleasurable.
10/18/09 8:55 PM
SmilingAssassin

Scott Han is the highest ranked BJJ practitioner in the Lansing area. He is a brown belt under the Machado brothers. Scott Han is legitimate. I agree with Kforcer100%. As far as Matt Tores goes, this is not the first time he has claimed to be a black belt. The legitimate black belts of Lansing all have moved away. Sam Wells is a black belt under Carlson Gracie, and I think returns to town every now and then.
10/19/09 10:29 AM
451 MMA

My apologies, I didn't realize that their training was more gi oriented now. Congrats to Scott & Sam, when were they promoted?

- Josh
10/19/09 10:37 PM
SmilingAssassin

Josh, Sam got his after he moved to Georgia. He really was one before he moved though, he just didn't want one. He took it for his resume. Sam always said that there is only one belt that matters, and that is the one that says champion on it. Scott recieved his brown belt sometime this summer I believe. I'm not really sure. He wouldn't want to make a big deal about it. So I probably shouldn't as well.
10/20/09 8:45 AM
Angelo Popofski

Sam Wells is a BJJ black belt? I never knew that... I didn't even know that he trained traditional BJJ.
10/20/09 11:36 AM
Train Judo

Me either, He always had more of a shooto style of grappling..Always reminded me of frank shamrock.
10/20/09 10:17 PM
Angelo Popofski

Yeah, exactly.
10/20/09 11:25 PM
SmilingAssassin

he has one now...
10/21/09 8:33 AM
Angelo Popofski

I know you said he's "under" Carlson Gracie, but who did he get the promotion from?
10/24/09 6:11 PM
SmilingAssassin

not sure, you know Eric Paulson is also a BJJ blackbelt, even though he has more of a shooto style....
10/25/09 12:27 AM
Angelo Popofski

Thanks... That pretty much answers my question.
10/26/09 1:25 AM
SmilingAssassin

you do realize he moved out of the state some time ago right?
10/26/09 1:39 AM
SmilingAssassin

another lansing native that got his belt after leaving the state, but returns to the area from time to time is David Dunn. Often times better known as A-Cup from Orgazmo
10/26/09 7:25 AM
Angelo Popofski

Okay, thanks. You've been extremely helpful.
10/26/09 12:19 PM
Train Judo

lol
10/27/09 1:40 AM
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought i'd throw my two cents in since i know matt.

matt is a black belt in shido-kan karate under seikichi iha. i have seen the certificate and talked to people matt trained with and it's legit. i believe he was given a brown belt by dan smith, although i don't know if it was in ju jitsu or dans "house martial art". he lived in iowa and trained with miletich for about 8 months but he never got a belt from pat. it saddens me that we would misrepresent himself as a bjj black belt because i know for a fact that he is not.

matt is a legit fighter, a creative grappler, and a good teacher. it's too bad he doesn't let that speak for itself. he was rashad's original trainer that got him to the ultimate fighter and that in itself is something to be proud of.
10/27/09 10:35 AM
Angelo Popofski

ashleigh11 - i thought i'd throw my two cents in since i know matt.

matt is a black belt in shido-kan karate under seikichi iha. i have seen the certificate and talked to people matt trained with and it's legit. i believe he was given a brown belt by dan smith, although i don't know if it was in ju jitsu or dans "house martial art". he lived in iowa and trained with miletich for about 8 months but he never got a belt from pat. it saddens me that we would misrepresent himself as a bjj black belt because i know for a fact that he is not.

matt is a legit fighter, a creative grappler, and a good teacher. it's too bad he doesn't let that speak for itself. he was rashad's original trainer that got him to the ultimate fighter and that in itself is something to be proud of.

I agree 100% with you...apparently the new trend in Michigan is that if you've been around as long as those of us who really have BJJ black belts, then you have the right to say you are one too.

ashleigh, thanks for adding to what most of us agree with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.