UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Fake belts!!

10/27/09 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Angelo Popofski - 
ashleigh11 - i thought i'd throw my two cents in since i know matt.

matt is a black belt in shido-kan karate under seikichi iha. i have seen the certificate and talked to people matt trained with and it's legit. i believe he was given a brown belt by dan smith, although i don't know if it was in ju jitsu or dans "house martial art". he lived in iowa and trained with miletich for about 8 months but he never got a belt from pat. it saddens me that we would misrepresent himself as a bjj black belt because i know for a fact that he is not.

matt is a legit fighter, a creative grappler, and a good teacher. it's too bad he doesn't let that speak for itself. he was rashad's original trainer that got him to the ultimate fighter and that in itself is something to be proud of.

I agree 100% with you...apparently the new trend in Michigan is that if you've been around as long as those of us who really have BJJ black belts, then you have the right to say you are one too.

ashleigh, thanks for adding to what most of us agree with.
Or, just move up here from florida & you automatically go from green to black!

10/27/09 8:14 PM
Angelo Popofski
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol. Don't remind me about that D-bag!! I wonder if he's still floating around Michigan??
10/27/09 11:58 PM
SmilingAssassin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how Dan Smith could give Matt a brown belt in bjj since Dan Smith is a purple belt. It would have to be as you called it "house martial art". There is a guy around Lansing that has his own martial art, and he gives out black belts for watching videos, and appearently women can get black belts by naked wrestling with him too... I believe it's called Cobra Force.
10/28/09 1:50 AM
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it just saddens me when people i know well and have trained with for a long time start to act like douches. i don't know if they feel they need to, to survive-or if they are just getting caught up in general toughguy-douchebagery.
10/28/09 9:40 AM
Angelo Popofski
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a short list of "qualified" and "certified" BJJ black belt and instructors in the state of Michigan...unfortunately, most of the names mentioned here are not among them. Not taking away anything from their talents, but they are NOT Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts just because they've trained/fought a long time or have tapped out a bb here and there. That's like saying someone is a doctor because they've been in college for 8 years, yet they never took a pre-med class.
10/29/09 9:30 AM
lansingbjj

Edited: 10/29/09 9:31 AM
I was planning on sitting back and not chiming in, but after some news if figured I would give my two cents.

Being a BJJ practitioner and instructor/coach myself,my issues come with the blurring of the lines between being a certified belt level in BJJ vs. someones own 'system'. Today I heard that Matt had promoted one of his students to purple belt, who is also 14. When I asked one of his parents if it was in BJJ, they told me "yes". This is where I start to take issue with things as a whole. Not only in my mind is a 14 year old not ready for a blue belt, let alone a purple (I have heard that most instructors will not promote to blue until the student is 16), the idea that even if Matt was a brown belt, he doesn't have the authority to even promote to a purple. Also, it is all no-gi. I guess if he was clarifying to everyone that his student was a purple belt in the "Matt Torres fighting system", then I would gladly accept it.

While I usually do not bother myself with these types of things, and I certainly don't have any personal issues with Matt, when I hear things like this it seems to discount all of the hard work that people like myself have put in, under great scrutiny, to obtain the ranks that we are in BJJ. My students themselves are promoted through an affiliation with another school so I can avoid these exact types of questions from other higher ranked instructors, because I am only a 4 stripe blue belt myself.

I guess I felt this as a little bit of a slap in the face, and the sting is still there. I really work hard in life not to let things like this bother me, but sometimes it's hard to avoid.

Train hard, train safe.
10/29/09 12:47 PM
Angelo Popofski

Edited: 10/29/09 12:49 PM
lansingbjj - I was planning on sitting back and not chiming in, but after some news if figured I would give my two cents.

Being a BJJ practitioner and instructor/coach myself,my issues come with the blurring of the lines between being a certified belt level in BJJ vs. someones own 'system'. Today I heard that Matt had promoted one of his students to purple belt, who is also 14. When I asked one of his parents if it was in BJJ, they told me "yes". This is where I start to take issue with things as a whole. Not only in my mind is a 14 year old not ready for a blue belt, let alone a purple (I have heard that most instructors will not promote to blue until the student is 16), the idea that even if Matt was a brown belt, he doesn't have the authority to even promote to a purple. Also, it is all no-gi. I guess if he was clarifying to everyone that his student was a purple belt in the "Matt Torres fighting system", then I would gladly accept it.

While I usually do not bother myself with these types of things, and I certainly don't have any personal issues with Matt, when I hear things like this it seems to discount all of the hard work that people like myself have put in, under great scrutiny, to obtain the ranks that we are in BJJ. My students themselves are promoted through an affiliation with another school so I can avoid these exact types of questions from other higher ranked instructors, because I am only a 4 stripe blue belt myself.

I guess I felt this as a little bit of a slap in the face, and the sting is still there. I really work hard in life not to let things like this bother me, but sometimes it's hard to avoid.

Train hard, train safe.

I promote this post to Black Belt :)

First, you are correct, anyone under 16 can NOT hold the rank of blue belt. Even if they are ready, they follow the kid's system of yellow, green, orange, etc. AND, if i'm not mistaken, a purple belt has to be at least 18 years old. I'm not 100% on the purple belt age requirement, as I have NEVER seen anyone hold the rank of purple at the age of 14. Even Ryron Gracie was an orange belt at that age.
10/29/09 2:16 PM
TheBean

Black Belt

Black taco
11/3/09 7:41 PM
Kforcer

I don't think anyone can deny that Matt Torres is pretty good though.

Paul Clark was a BJJ brown belt as well, I think he lives around Detroit now. Far as I know, he hasn't been training for a while. He is definitely very good.
11/4/09 10:51 AM
Angelo Popofski

Kforcer - I don't think anyone can deny that Matt Torres is pretty good though.

Paul Clark was a BJJ brown belt as well, I think he lives around Detroit now. Far as I know, he hasn't been training for a while. He is definitely very good.

Every single post on here says Matt IS good, but he is lying. Two completely different things.
11/4/09 5:48 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Angelo is Matt Torres any good?
11/4/09 8:28 PM
Angelo Popofski

Lol. That made me laugh :) That is easier to answer than whom Matt and Sam got there black belts from.... And where Bigfoot lives.
11/4/09 8:42 PM
Train Judo

Edited: 11/04/09 8:44 PM
I gave myself a BJJ blackbelt last year on here..Its been in my profile all along.

Im thinking of putting it on my business cards as well..

Not because I want positive attention though, more because I want everyone at every other gym to be like "That motherfucker doesnt even train bjj"...

And then when people come here and say "Angelo says you dont have a blackbelt", Ill be like, "It's right here!" and hold up my judo blackbelt..  

Then when they say "That looks like a judo blackbelt", I'll be like
"Yeah, well Kimura kicked Helio's ass! Get out of my gym!"
11/4/09 10:21 PM
Angelo Popofski

Q,
Since Judo came from BJJ, your black belt is closer than some of these guys'. :)
11/4/09 10:25 PM
Train Judo

well said....hey, wait a gd minute.....
11/5/09 2:36 AM
Kforcer

Well, fibbing is fibbing, absolutely. I mean, I have no direct experience of that, so all I can speak to is what I can infer from Matt's record, experience and students of his I've grappled with.

And, though he and aren't necessarily friends, as someone I've known my whole life, I just felt compelled to post something positive to his account. That's all. Sorry if it was repetitious.

I've rolled with Brad Johnson and I think he came off as a good grappler but he is certainly not a blackbelt in Brazilian jiu jitsu and I don't think grappling is even the focus of his approach to mixed martial arts. He came off to me as someone who was primarily a striker/wrestler.
3/16/10 9:33 PM
CoachK

BigDawgCrab - So last night I go to a very good amature mma show in Lansing MI.

While there I run into a guy named DALE KINNER. This guy has been running around Lansing telling people he is 2nd degree Blackbelt in BJJ. Being a blackbelt myself, I was interested in meeting him.

To clarify matters I asked if is a blackbelt in BJJ and he said yes. I asked who gave him his blackbelt and he said, Carlson Gracie Jr. To make sure I asked if he meant JR in Chicago and he said yes.

Well,,,, I grabbed my phone and called Jr while standing with DALE KINNER. Dale said, Good luck and walked away when he saw me calling Jr.

I followed him and spoke with Jr who said he has never heard of DALE KINNER and asked to speak with Dale. I went into a room where Dale was and told him Jr wanted to speak with him and he said no he didn't want to speak with the guy who gave him his blackbelt!!!

DALE KINNER in Lansing Michigan, 517-230-0314 was the number for the gym he gave me.

I also saw a sign for Matt Torres and Brad Johnson who claimed to be brown belts in BJJ. I spoke with Matt for a few seconds. He had a weird story about training with Miletich, so I asked if Miletich had given him his brown belt and he said no. Then he mentioned training with Ciaque BJJ. I asked if he got his brown belt from Ciaque and he said no. Then he explained that he is a "equivalant" of a brown belt because he has tapped every blackbelt he has ever trained with!!

Matt introduced me to some older man, and quickly left the room. This other guy then told me that Matt is the real deal and has tapped Miletich in 30 seconds! Told me how Matt can tape any blackbelt in the UFC in under 1 minute. He then told me that they look at belts differently then most... he explained that the color doesn't matter to them, just the results... I asked why they advertise being brown belts... I was (again) explained that Matt has trained with UFC level fighters, even made Rashad Evans what he is today, and has tapped them all!!!

This older guy asked where I got my blackbelt and I said, Jorge Gurgel. He told me Matt and Brandon could tap JG out in 30 seconds. I told him that JG would be in Grand Rapids this coming weekend and they should come train!!!

I was then told about cost to train at this place... $99 a month for 1 1 1/2 training session a week upto $250 for 3 1 1/2 hour training sessions a week!!!!

Hey Clint! FYI- I have never charged one of the students I have trained... ever. I have been a Pit fighter my entire adult life, and had you stuck around to actually chat civilly before going on with your pompous charade of eliteness.. you would have heard me say I did a VIDEO Black Belt course produced by Carlson Gracie Junior through Panther Productions Video. I also informed them (all around me) that I had studied videos by Mario Sperry, Walid Ishmail, Oleg Taktarov, and Bas Rutten. I studied, trained... then fought anyone who stepped up thereafter. No GI required, and I have never refused a fight. I retired at 36, and have retired now from coaching at 46... BUT... I offered to come out of retirement to fight you.

You instead chose to fight an Amatuer on Ron Deleon's Show 03/13/10, (who only had 4 fights) and got knocked out in the first minute of the first round. Then only after you took a cheap shot at him, but as you took him down, he escaped and... well... you know the rest.

The point Clint, is that champions are not made with belts... they are made with heart & determination, respect and self discipline. It is what you should be teaching your people, instead of pompous pride and looking down on others. Many coaches have gathered to teach these kids self discipline and respect, and give them a leg upon life. Also to respect ALL fighters,and all human beings. You have belittled these coaches, to promote your own reputation and business. Well, for us it is not a business. It is a way of life. Honor is not found in a GI, or in a Belt. Watch as Matt Hughes defeated Royce Gracie to see honor. He respected and praised Royce, even as he destroyed him. And Matt Hughes had no BJJ Black Belt as he defeated the most prominent & recognized BJJ mixed martial artist known in our time.

You have belittled your fellow coaches, you have misquoted then,and mis-represented your fighting & coaching.It is funny, that you mentioned one of your fighters beat one of mine that night... my debut guy with 2 months training. You mentioned that my female fighter lost to yours... again, my debut fighter, and my adopted daughter, as she fought Jen Kelly, the reigning champ and most dominant female in the state. You FORGOT to mention however, that my 6 months trained Welter-weight had a WAR with your Purple Belt, and crushed him and beat him until he had to be carried from the ring. Also that 3 of my other fighters had knock-out victories that night.

You have accused others and myself of being frauds. In the end, the truth has proven out.

Again, I hope you have learned something from this.

It is a lesson you,and others like you need to learn.

Dale Kinner
Wolf Pack Vale Tudo
3/16/10 11:25 PM
Jdonw
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't we all just get past politics and come together to better the sport?
3/17/10 5:52 AM
Samuraidog

LOL. This post is hilarious. What is a pit fighter?
Claiming to not ever charge any students is justification for telling others you are a BJJ black belt? Then claiming the OP misunderstood you because you told him you took a video course.

This must be a troll job.

CoachK - 

While there I run into a guy named DALE KINNER. This guy has been running around Lansing telling people he is 2nd degree Blackbelt in BJJ. Being a blackbelt myself, I was interested in meeting him.

To clarify matters I asked if is a blackbelt in BJJ and he said yes. I asked who gave him his blackbelt and he said, Carlson Gracie Jr. To make sure I asked if he meant JR in Chicago and he said yes.

Well,,,, I grabbed my phone and called Jr while standing with DALE KINNER. Dale said, Good luck and walked away when he saw me calling Jr.

I followed him and spoke with Jr who said he has never heard of DALE KINNER and asked to speak with Dale. I went into a room where Dale was and told him Jr wanted to speak with him and he said no he didn't want to speak with the guy who gave him his blackbelt!!!

DALE KINNER in Lansing Michigan, 517-230-0314 was the number for the gym he gave me.

I also saw a sign for Matt Torres and Brad Johnson who claimed to be brown belts in BJJ. I spoke with Matt for a few seconds. He had a weird story about training with Miletich, so I asked if Miletich had given him his brown belt and he said no. Then he mentioned training with Ciaque BJJ. I asked if he got his brown belt from Ciaque and he said no. Then he explained that he is a "equivalant" of a brown belt because he has tapped every blackbelt he has ever trained with!!

Matt introduced me to some older man, and quickly left the room. This other guy then told me that Matt is the real deal and has tapped Miletich in 30 seconds! Told me how Matt can tape any blackbelt in the UFC in under 1 minute. He then told me that they look at belts differently then most... he explained that the color doesn't matter to them, just the results... I asked why they advertise being brown belts... I was (again) explained that Matt has trained with UFC level fighters, even made Rashad Evans what he is today, and has tapped them all!!!

This older guy asked where I got my blackbelt and I said, Jorge Gurgel. He told me Matt and Brandon could tap JG out in 30 seconds. I told him that JG would be in Grand Rapids this coming weekend and they should come train!!!

I was then told about cost to train at this place... $99 a month for 1 1 1/2 training session a week upto $250 for 3 1 1/2 hour training sessions a week!!!!

Hey Clint! FYI- I have never charged one of the students I have trained... ever. I have been a Pit fighter my entire adult life, and had you stuck around to actually chat civilly before going on with your pompous charade of eliteness.. you would have heard me say I did a VIDEO Black Belt course produced by Carlson Gracie Junior through Panther Productions Video. I also informed them (all around me) that I had studied videos by Mario Sperry, Walid Ishmail, Oleg Taktarov, and Bas Rutten. I studied, trained... then fought anyone who stepped up thereafter. No GI required, and I have never refused a fight. I retired at 36, and have retired now from coaching at 46... BUT... I offered to come out of retirement to fight you.

You instead chose to fight an Amatuer on Ron Deleon's Show 03/13/10, (who only had 4 fights) and got knocked out in the first minute of the first round. Then only after you took a cheap shot at him, but as you took him down, he escaped and... well... you know the rest.

The point Clint, is that champions are not made with belts... they are made with heart & determination, respect and self discipline. It is what you should be teaching your people, instead of pompous pride and looking down on others. Many coaches have gathered to teach these kids self discipline and respect, and give them a leg upon life. Also to respect ALL fighters,and all human beings. You have belittled these coaches, to promote your own reputation and business. Well, for us it is not a business. It is a way of life. Honor is not found in a GI, or in a Belt. Watch as Matt Hughes defeated Royce Gracie to see honor. He respected and praised Royce, even as he destroyed him. And Matt Hughes had no BJJ Black Belt as he defeated the most prominent & recognized BJJ mixed martial artist known in our time.

You have belittled your fellow coaches, you have misquoted then,and mis-represented your fighting & coaching.It is funny, that you mentioned one of your fighters beat one of mine that night... my debut guy with 2 months training. You mentioned that my female fighter lost to yours... again, my debut fighter, and my adopted daughter, as she fought Jen Kelly, the reigning champ and most dominant female in the state. You FORGOT to mention however, that my 6 months trained Welter-weight had a WAR with your Purple Belt, and crushed him and beat him until he had to be carried from the ring. Also that 3 of my other fighters had knock-out victories that night.

You have accused others and myself of being frauds. In the end, the truth has proven out.

Dale Kinner
Wolf Pack Vale Tudo
3/17/10 8:08 AM
David@AccutestMi

CoachK - 

Dale Kinner
Wolf Pack Vale Tudo

GTFO with your nonsense. Video black blet is about the funniest thing I have heard. Well I watch all the UFC's and all the airings of UFC Unleashed. There are many black belts who fight in the UFC and if I had a 6 pack or so I feel I could tap them all out too. The problem is that I actually snap back into reality where as you obviously haven't.

Just by your post I know for a fact that you told Clint you were a black belt and didnt mention anything about watching videos. It's just such a retarded lie that you can tell it was made up to cover for the fact someone called you on your bullshit.

The truth has "proven out". Your a scam artist that got caught. Why you posted I don't know.

I think if you actually did have your BJJ blackbelt and you actually did fight, you would have enough sense and respect for your fellow fighter that you don't bring up there losses the way you did.

I wouldn't fight you either to be honest. You just about lied about everything you are and then you want someone to fight you? It isn't worth anyones time to fight you. Your a dime a dozen liar who offers nothing in the way of glory.

Kick rocks and go watch some more videos.
3/17/10 9:25 AM
Crabnation

CoachK - Hey Clint! FYI- I have never charged one of the students I have trained... ever

What does this have to do with anything? Are you trying to justify lying with the fact that it's free?

CoachK - I have been a Pit fighter my entire adult life

WTF exactly is a pit fighter?

CoachK - had you stuck around to actually chat civilly before going on with your pompous charade of eliteness.. you would have heard me say I did a VIDEO Black Belt course produced by Carlson Gracie Junior through Panther Productions Video. I also informed them (all around me) that I had studied videos by Mario Sperry, Walid Ishmail, Oleg Taktarov, and Bas Rutten. I studied, trained... then fought anyone who stepped up thereafter. No GI required

LOL. You are telling people that you are a black belt from watching videos? But then they are confused because you say you actually were a VIDEO black belt? This is hilarious. It take most people 10 years+ to EARN a BJJ blackbelt. Just casually mentioning you have one is completely disrespectful to those who put in their time, blood, sweat, and tears learning the art.

Coach K - have retired now from coaching at 46... BUT... I offered to come out of retirement to fight you.

What a hypocritical, disrespectful load of shit. Clint did fight in that show, and lost. He made his MMA debut at 43 years old, against the promotions champion, with 1 week notice. He completely dominated the fight with BJJ for like 4 minutes. He transitioned to a triangle, which he had locked in very tight, but to the opponents credit he hit Clint on the head very hard and caught him good. You talk about respect and self discipline? Let's see you fight one of our 20 year old champion fighters and see how you do.

CoachK - Also to respect ALL fighters,and all human beings. You have belittled these coaches, to promote your own reputation and business. Well, for us it is not a business. It is a way of life. Honor is not found in a GI, or in a Belt. Watch as Matt Hughes defeated Royce Gracie to see honor

It's clear from your attempt to disparage Clint and his fighters that you don't respect anyone. Save your "budo" lip service for your ignorant students who actually believe you are sincere.

CoachK - You have belittled your fellow coaches, you have misquoted then,and mis-represented your fighting & coaching.It is funny, that you mentioned one of your fighters beat one of mine that night... my debut guy with 2 months training. You mentioned that my female fighter lost to yours... again, my debut fighter, and my adopted daughter, as she fought Jen Kelly, the reigning champ and most dominant female in the state. You FORGOT to mention however, that my 6 months trained Welter-weight had a WAR with your Purple Belt, and crushed him and beat him until he had to be carried from the ring. Also that 3 of my other fighters had knock-out victories that night.

So you make excuses for your fighters that lost because it was their debut, or they were inexperienced. I'm not quite sure why you would let them get in the cage if they weren't ready, but I'm not an expert so I'll leave that up to you.

Your 170 lb guy did have a WAR with our 155 lb purple belt who took the fight on a few days notice. He is clearly very athletically gifted and from all accounts very respectful after the fight. It doesn't look like his coach is the same way. I don't recall anyone being "carried out of the cage", but you clearly have a pattern of exaggeration here.

Dale, go back to your house full of teen boys and continue "training them". Please stop lying about having BJJ rank, it is very disrespectful to those who have truly earned it.

3/17/10 9:33 AM
Samuraidog

Edited: 03/17/10 9:34 AM
I found out what a pit fighter is.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/jackson/index.ssf/2009/09/wolfpack_vale_tudo_a_close-kni.html
3/17/10 12:17 PM
Khillah
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I can't stand is when someone starts blasting a fallen warrior. You are upset that he made people aware that you were not something that you claimed. There is no honor in what you are saying or doing.

The fact that Clint lost a debute fight, on one week's notice, does not make you any more legitimant than you were before his fight. 

I don't think anyone in the fight community, regardless of ties to one party or the other, will stand by and let you bash a fighter that lost.

Just not cool, and if you are seriously looking to come out of retirmenet, I can arrange for a number of fights for you...
3/17/10 3:34 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Dale Kinner was involved in pit fighting from the time he was 14 years old. Pit fighting is organized, underground fighting with no rules and no arena. The fighting often attracted a crowd putting hefty wagers on the most promising fighters. Kinner says he was frequently bet against because he was small but often proved dissenters wrong. Kinner later became involved in kickboxing, a helpful skill now that he coaches MMA fighters."

Didn't I see this in a movie!?!?
3/17/10 4:41 PM
Jdonw
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glock4life - <b> "Dale Kinner was involved in pit fighting from the time he was 14 years old. Pit fighting is organized, underground fighting with no rules and no arena. The fighting often attracted a crowd putting hefty wagers on the most promising fighters. Kinner says he was frequently bet against because he was small but often proved dissenters wrong. Kinner later became involved in kickboxing, a helpful skill now that he coaches MMA fighters."

</b>Didn't I see this in a movie!?!?

Van Damme's character in Lionheart is based on Dale Kinner.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.