UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Mankind is basically evil

7/19/09 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but why do so many "philosophy" types disagree with such a statement?

do they refuse to believe in evil or do they actually think mankind is basically good...and if you refuse to believe in evil how can you believe in good?
7/20/09 4:47 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

OMG he's destroyed philosophy!!!!
7/21/09 3:22 PM
Atecexa

wow what a deep and profound response
7/25/09 1:40 AM
TDre42
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More of a religious statement.

Better luck in the holy ground. Are you Christian or something?
7/25/09 2:15 PM
Atecexa

i think it's more philosophical than religious in nature, it has to do with man at his purest point.

think of it this way. if there were no laws, no police, no governing authorities in any way shape or form and life for us was basically what it is like for animals in the wild...would life be like it is now? ie relatively safe to leave your house and walk down the street without an imminent fear of rape or death. or would it be like being an animal living in constant fear of something killing you
7/26/09 4:30 PM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 07/26/09 4:34 PM
Well what was human life like before we had government. We know the answer to this..we still have many examples today..african and amazonian tribes..etc.

Also it's a mistake to think that police and governance is not part of human nature. It is, there is nothing 'unnatural'.

We evolved to be social animals...like chimps and gorillas. What you think of morality is really just behavioral adaptations that are succesful in reproducing our genes.

Native Americans didn't have a police force, but I don't think people were afraid to leave their huts for fear of getting raped. All human societies will have customs, rules, and a similar sense of right and wrong (because we evolved in the same way) ...just like orangutang societies do.
7/28/09 5:37 PM
Atecexa

"Well, there is no law against reading a Bible in school, as long as it's done privately or as a non-school sponsored group."

no but they did have constant tribal warfare and im sure if a nice young lass wandered into a neighboring tribe it wouldnt turn out all that well for her

"Well what was human life like before we had government."

Well first off we did have and still have King's, Dictator's etc that would execute people at the drop of a hat for what we would consider nothing
9/19/09 1:04 AM
kimohapa

Reality is that we are evil, the laws that we have concieved keep most in check, but in the absence of these laws humans are just another animal. As a Marine I have traveled to some of the more "backward" places and have seen what we are capable of, we are animals, maybe worse since we can think deeply and concieve truely evil things that even a lower primate couldn't come up with.
10/14/10 3:17 PM
Subadie

Edited: 10/14/10 3:20 PM
I'm watching horror movies until Halloween. Yesterday, the Exorcist. Day before that: Paranormal Activity.

By the time Halloween comes around, I think I'll believe in Evil.

Other Recommendations ?
10/28/10 11:26 AM
BadRobot321
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interesting. We have a lot of rewiring to do. How did we get this far? And why did we come all this way? It's sad to me that we most likely can't even conceive the answer.
3/30/12 11:23 AM
RoidsGracie

Check out Schopenhauer for a philosophical argument about the evil of existence. Interesting enough, he was virulently against Christianity and a strident atheist but he actually still had respect for primitive Christianity as practiced in the New Testament as he believed that it depicted humanity and our existence in this world as evil and depraved which aligned with his own views.
5/29/14 11:07 PM
TheHoarseWhisperer

Edited: 05/29/14 11:08 PM

Well, it could be argued that we're "evil" for many reasons. We literally suck our environments and natural resources dry, we wipe out various species due to our expansion and behavior, we destroy parts of the planet and render them inhospitable. We kill our own, we discriminate against ourselves, we dehumanize each other. Of course, not all of us do these things, but by not actively opposing it, aren't we condoning it? 

Anyways, I strongly object to the concept of a spiritual "good" and "bad". Some people are more self-interested whereas others are more "community-driven". We're currently living in a community-based and tribe-based setting. We exist together and have created rules and stipulations so that everyone has a chance. Religion plays a part in pushing believers into a "moral compass" that generally pushes communal survival: help your neighbors, assist those less fortunate, don't worry about getting more things. Focus more on helping those below you reach your level than reaching those above you. Some people believe that religion was invented by those in power to manipulate people into a mindset of communal survival. Regardless of what you believe on that subject, you have to think of human beings as though they're a separate animal. Think about the lust that comes from our pre-programmed need to reproduce. Our survival instincts.

We've learned to ignore a lot of our instincts to survive in this modern world and we've learned to adopt new instincts in their place. Take away all of the things that keep us afloat as a society and you will have people behaving very much like wild, dangerous, violent animals. People will kill for food, for shelter, for mates. Would that make them evil? Of course not; that would make them pink monkeys on a giant organic spaceship flying through a massive semi-empty void. 

Simplifying everything that humans do in terms of "good" and "evil" is a cop-out unless you mean it strictly in a religious context.

I tend to prattle on when I get on a thought so forgive me.

22 days ago
Laef
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is an animal capable of being evil?
I feel like that’s a question that needs answering first. Because I wouldn’t look at a wolf as evil for killing to survive, only a self-interested animal. Primitive. A population of deer or many other animals will consume all the resources in a forest before they start to die off having exceeded the habitat’s caring capacity, finally allowing the resources to replenish. Is that evil, or only primitive, lacking a greater understanding?
I say primitive because as man has begun to evolve from his animal roots, he may still have animal tendencies, such as killing for personal gain or survival, or draining the resources of a place until there’s nothing left to support life, yet it is only when we take account of the higher, constructively minded nature of man into account that we can claim any action is good or evil as opposed to primitive and animalistic.
I think that only when man has achieved a certain level of self-awareness and self-mastery can he even be considered evil, for he would have to transcend the reactionary way of life that an animal lives in and attain a certain understanding of his and his fellow man’s greater impact on the world. Once he’s learned to view his emotions with a certain objective light, and can begin to creatively influence the world, then he may choose to channel those forces for a progressive or “good” purpose, or a selfish, destructive, “evil” purpose.
Most of man’s folly is, I believe, rooted in a reactionary, animalistic mindset, and I would therefore not term it as evil. Everyone seems to be at a different state in their evolution, and so some could be classed as self-aware and evil, manipulating the masses to their own ends. In that case, I would not class the unsuspecting masses manipulated by an evil master as evil themselves, only animals reacting to their environment.
So, historically speaking, the evil men of this world have held a greater sway over the animal masses of humanity, as an evil master needs only to appeal to and play on the animal sensibilities, whereas a good person must appeal to the higher nature of mankind to incite change and progressive evolution. This seems to be the growing trend. More people are becoming players instead of pieces, and it’s what they do with this newfound awareness that can show them to be good or evil.
Mankind is not evil, only primitive.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.