UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> 10th planet Jiu Jitsu Melbourne

7/19/09 10:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
10thplanetjjmelbourne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi all,
Just wanted to finally get moving on this forum so it’s nice to finally be here.

My name is Frank Barca and I run and own 10th Planet JJ Melbourne in Melbourne's Northern suburbs.

Just briefly, I have been a direct student of Eddie Bravo since '06 and have traveled each year for training and I just arrived back earlier in the month out of LA completing my 4th training visit to 10th Planet JJ Headquarters.

Eddie has given us his blessing and approval to run an affiliate school and has been a great success for us since Dec '08. We have many MMA fighters and submission mat rats dropping in all the time from all over, so if anyone has any questions about rubberguard and what not, please feel free in asking or even better, drop in and train with us anytime!

For more info www.10thplanetjjmelbourne.com and click on the profile tab and instructor tab or you can go here www.pmaa.com.au and click on the bio page for details.

Peace
7/20/09 7:08 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
Very nice to see 10th planet AUS. Do we get a complimentary ounce of weed with membership? ;)

Justin
7/21/09 1:15 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Hey Justin,
Nah dude, no ounce but maybe some oxygen debt that's for sure.

Just playin bro, thanks for caring

Frank
7/21/09 1:51 AM
LoveToChoke

So what belt did you get to with John Will?
7/21/09 6:38 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey frank, what colour shirt/ belt r u under the 10thpjj system?
7/21/09 6:50 PM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

walbjj - hey frank, what colour shirt/ belt r u under the 10thpjj system?

Hi Walbjj,
I have been graded by Eddie Bravo personally at Legends in 2008 (October) after being in the 10th planet JJ System for 2 years. I was graded in 2005 to blue belt in the Machado BJJ system under one of John B Will's instructors. I trained with John Will every 3rd Monday for about 3 years.

I hope this helps!

Frank
7/21/09 6:52 PM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

LoveToChoke - So what belt did you get to with John Will?

Hi Lovetochoke,

I have been graded by Eddie Bravo personally to blue belt at Legends in 2008 (October) after being in the 10th planet JJ System for 2 years. I was graded in 2005 to blue belt in the Machado BJJ system under one of John B Will's instructors. I trained with John Will every 3rd Monday for about 3 years.
Frank
7/21/09 6:53 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
Its good to see name global brands setting up in Australia. Hopefully one day Eddie will get down under too.

All the best.

Justin
7/21/09 6:54 PM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

walbjj - hey frank, what colour shirt/ belt r u under the 10thpjj system?

OO0ps

I 4got to answer the question.... Blue belt mate.
It was interesting as I was introduced to Eddie and the guys in '06 as a bluebelt already, but the system was so unique that I struggled to even know what was happening as if it was a totally different art altogether. It was both a challenging and interesting time for me.

Scary actually!

FB
7/21/09 8:48 PM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so its safe to say that flexibility is a key to the system. cos my sore knees seem to believe so
7/21/09 9:30 PM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you ever trained with Ari Bolden? I study all his tapes.
7/21/09 9:34 PM
LoveToChoke

Edited: 07/21/09 9:36 PM
So why not just train with a BJJ black belt here in Australia? What do you think you will get training with Eddie every few months that you can't get from an instructor here? As a blue belt I'm thinking that there are a lot more important things for you to be working on than rubberguard or twister.

Do you teach things like butterfly sweeps, closed guard sweeps etc?
7/21/09 9:55 PM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its the 10th Planet way.
7/21/09 10:52 PM
BenBJJ

Troll IMO. VTFD.
7/22/09 12:16 AM
LoveToChoke

I've got no problem with Eddie - I just don't understand travelling all the way to the U.S. to train with him when there are plenty of good black belts here. Especially when you're only at the blue belt level.
7/22/09 12:27 AM
walbjj

^^^ exactly. although 10thpjj is a "different" system of jiu jitsu, its still essentially grappling, it uses no gi, so do a lot of clubs. it uses rubber guard, however rg is only a small component of grappling and ive never seen any top level or even mid level guys use it effectively and regularly in competitions.
as a whole, i tend to think that just training with the best instructor that u can possibly find that is convenient to u is the first step in grappling. at the beginner and blue belt stage, ur just getting started, trying to find the magic bullet wont come from a "system"
7/22/09 1:22 AM
Sniffy

Video from the instructors page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TyefKSWp8

Is this for real?
7/22/09 1:24 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

walbjj - so its safe to say that flexibility is a key to the system. cos my sore knees seem to believe so

Many people ask me this all the time.ABSOLUTELY!!

Its like anything else, you have to start easy and build on it. The problem is that so many people negatively approach flexibility, they are not nearly close to dedicating the necessary time and reps into it to get the result they need for the rubberguard to be effective. Please remember that not only flexibility is key but a combination of flexibility, strength, endurance and stamina too. Eddie always refer's to this ability as developing 'THE SQUEEZE'.

See rubberguard has brought 'flexibility' to the surface of our attention/awareness as it is an obvious trait of engaging in it to begin with. And for those who have tried it, very quickly realise, that it is not easy at all

But like conditioning, speed, power, explosiveness etc.. it takes time and there are obvious pro's and con's/risks/injury etc with training in any area of jits or MA's

So, start slow and build. I was the worst when I started, but with plenty of work and putting in some big no's, I am hitting it regularly and so are my students so rest assure, there is plenty of hope yet.

Frank
7/22/09 1:30 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Sniffy - Video from the instructors page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TyefKSWp8

Is this for real?

Didn't load

What is it??
7/22/09 1:31 AM
BenBJJ

Frank = Our own little Ari Bolden.
7/22/09 1:34 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

BenBJJ - Have you ever trained with Ari Bolden? I study all his tapes.

BenBjj,
No I have not personally trained with Ari yet. Each time we have been in LA we have missed each other but I know Ari very well.

He is a hard nut, very knowledgeable in the system, a tireless worker and has made a huge contribution to the cause.

FB
7/22/09 1:36 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

BenBJJ - Frank = Our own little Ari Bolden.

So whats your background Ben?
7/22/09 1:37 AM
Sniffy

Video from your instructors page Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TyefKSWp8
7/22/09 1:41 AM
BenBJJ

10thplanetjjmelbourne - 
BenBJJ - Frank = Our own little Ari Bolden.

So whats your background Ben?

Scottish / Italian.
7/22/09 1:42 AM
LoveToChoke

^^ Noice. LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.