UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> 10th planet Jiu Jitsu Melbourne

10/24/09 7:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
byron2001
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't make the comment mate... I never even saw a 10Planet match..
10/24/09 10:59 PM
armbarcrashdummy

Edited: 10/24/09 10:59 PM
It was pretty poor form from whomever yelled that out. Unfortunately, I think it's going to happen to Frank and his crew for a while.
10/27/09 4:21 AM
BlackKat

_Renee_ - Yeah, the ref said he heard a tap and stopped the match(there clearly was no tap btw)

How do you know there was no tap? I saw the fight and also watched the video footage and from where everyone was standing there is no way anyone could actually see whether he tapped or not. Only the ref was in a position to see.
10/27/09 4:31 AM
BlackKat

jbourke - I didnt see them win to many matches but they were by far the most exciting to watch.

I agree! They weren't just going for points, they were getting in there and going for submissions....and in my opinion that's what it's all about!
10/28/09 2:05 AM
LoveToChoke

I watched the video.

I see Frank pulling half-guard for the lockdown but being squashed. The thing I don't like about the lockdown is that you basically let the guy put his weight on you first, when the whole goal is to get on your side and get an overhook on the guys leg. I see so many white and blue belts trying to do this and getting the same result as Frank - getting squashed.
So why pull lockdown unless you need to?

BTW, this is not a criticism of Frank - it's a criticism of the lockdown (or at least the way it is taught).
10/28/09 9:37 AM
DK Chaos
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BlackKat - 
jbourke - I didnt see them win to many matches but they were by far the most exciting to watch.

I agree! They weren't just going for points, they were getting in there and going for submissions....and in my opinion that's what it's all about!

Exciting matches are a great idea if you're getting paid to fight. Not such a great idea if you are paying $65 per category entered.
10/28/09 6:32 PM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/28/09 7:27 PM
Call me odd, but spending $65 to lie on top of a guy for 6 mins isnt all that appealing, testing my submissions skills sounds much better to me. each to their own though
10/28/09 6:58 PM
LEMon
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That big guy was good!!

The comment was pretty uncalled for.
10/28/09 8:26 PM
byron2001

Its a competition mate.. Position before submission...Why give up a dominant position to stupidly go for a sub and potentially lose...

I agree doing that wrestling like in training is stupid and somewhat counter-productive.. But comps are different..Go to Brazil or the States and you'll see the same thing.
10/28/09 8:46 PM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeh i totally get what youre saying with that, and do very much agree. im just not a fan of holding down one position for the duration of the match without even attempting a submission.

and ive competed in america and know what its like over there, i found they were very strict with stalling in the tournaments i took part in and saw
10/28/09 8:47 PM
Mr Dooley

**it was a jiujitsu tournament they were strict in, in a grappling tournament they let it go.
11/2/09 6:45 PM
AvAMajestic

byron, I wasn't suggesting you said it (this is Daniel who used to train at MMA), just directed the comment to you since you posted it.
11/21/09 10:02 PM
Mr Dooley

great effort by george sotiropolous at UFC 106, beautiful jiujitsu
11/22/09 9:22 PM
FingerorMoon
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good to see 10th Planet Melbourne doing well.
Keep it up guys.
11/22/09 10:48 PM
byron2001

awesome stuff... Great job to the gang at 10thPlanet for teaching George how to apply an armbar!!

High five's all round!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.