bluesky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are 'the basics'?
7/23/09 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LoveToChoke

Edited: 07/23/09 12:55 AM
I think the basics are such things as posture, hip movement, weight distribution etc.

As well as techniques that you get taught as a white belt only to throw out because they never work, until you get to brown belt and they become your staple techniques :)
7/23/09 12:57 AM
FingerorMoon
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/23/14 6:59 AM
I love Bravo's stuff
7/23/09 1:13 AM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/23/09 1:12 AM
Basics= Defense, escapes, posture, control, pressure, movement, hip movement, then submissions.
7/23/09 1:13 AM
byron2001

I certainly find 10thPlanet interesting, and don't really have anything negative to say about Eddie Bravo...RG and twisters are certainly sweet as additions to your game, but as a blue belt you should be focusing more on basics and sparring...

It would be cool to see either yourself or your students competing this year..
7/23/09 1:50 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure how thats going to work with 10thpjj competing, i thought that a club needs to be affiliated under a local bb. thats the case with the nswbjj, and i assume the afbjj as well.
seeing as frank is only a blue, and eddie isnt local, how will that work? maybe he gets some sort of dispensation?
7/23/09 2:02 AM
LoveToChoke

With regard to the AFBJJ, there is no rule as far as I am aware for a club to be affiliated with a local bb.

There are also local competitions in VIC run by Dominance, Hangar4 and Ninos.
7/23/09 3:34 AM
Stewie

All the best with your school Frank.

Cheers

Stewie
7/23/09 3:56 AM
Tycinio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$135 a month plus $150 membership fee? Seriously? And you're a blue belt?

Fuck this jiu-jitsu shit, I'm going over to Eddies as well, no gi all the way for me from now on!!

Just Kidding Frank. If people pay it, more power to you.

Good Luck with the new place.
7/23/09 4:09 AM
AvAMajestic
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's an awful lot of money.

Training under a blue belt is fine. I used to train under Pete Poly back when he was a blue, and he was a fantastic instructor that I would have recommended to anybody. Our club punched well above its weight in tournaments considering we were a twice a week crowd.
However that was through the university and we were charged something like $100 per -year-.

You're charging $135 per month. At my school, for $80 per month, I can train with a brown belt in brasilian jiu jitsu, a wrestler ranked in the top 5 in the world for wrestling, and several pro thai fighters in kickboxing.

I'm sure many others here train with a black belt in BJJ for less than $100 per month.

Nothing against you, Eddie Bravo or the 10th planet system, it's all interesting stuff, but $135 per month to train with a blue belt?

You have to ask yourself what you're offering that makes your service so much more valuable than what everyone else is offering.

John Will, Peter deBeen, John Donahue are all extremely experienced and qualified black belt instructors, and unless their pricing has changed significantly, none of them charge even close to that much.

I'd consider your pricing, but good luck to you either way, always nice to see more schools popping up.
7/23/09 7:48 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AvAMajestic - That's an awful lot of money.

Training under a blue belt is fine. I used to train under Pete Poly back when he was a blue, and he was a fantastic instructor that I would have recommended to anybody. Our club punched well above its weight in tournaments considering we were a twice a week crowd.
However that was through the university and we were charged something like $100 per -year-.

You're charging $135 per month. At my school, for $80 per month, I can train with a brown belt in brasilian jiu jitsu, a wrestler ranked in the top 5 in the world for wrestling, and several pro thai fighters in kickboxing.

I'm sure many others here train with a black belt in BJJ for less than $100 per month.

Nothing against you, Eddie Bravo or the 10th planet system, it's all interesting stuff, but $135 per month to train with a blue belt?

You have to ask yourself what you're offering that makes your service so much more valuable than what everyone else is offering.

John Will, Peter deBeen, John Donahue are all extremely experienced and qualified black belt instructors, and unless their pricing has changed significantly, none of them charge even close to that much.

I'd consider your pricing, but good luck to you either way, always nice to see more schools popping up.

if ur referring to pete polygenis, then yes, he is a great bjj practitioner. he trained with us when he was living in sydney

i always wondered what the $150 membership fee entails, is it just for adminstration?
i know that a lot of clubs use the smartpay or similar billing system, and its something like $70 a fortnight. but there isnt a membership fee.
also understand that if ur paying a high monthly rate, then u better damn well be getting top notch facilities as well as a full time gym (luckily we have plenty of classes 6 days a week, with morning classes as well)

i guess it falls into the "if u build it, they will come"
7/23/09 8:09 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Scott Epstein - Good ol frankieee.. franks one of the good guys as you all can see , hes not gonna bite on your trolling attempts. i have trained with frank and he is very legit and always want to learn (no ego). frank ,they will come and they will insult the fuck out of you .realize "they" are less then 1% of the mma .tv community. dont worry ill be here to tell them that their moms are crack whores.

Ahh Einstein,
You always know just what to say!!

Thanks mate,

Please stop by anytime just in case I talk any shit ok??

Peace
7/23/09 8:10 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Mr Dooley - Scott Epstein speaks truth.

Word
7/23/09 8:12 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Liteheavyweight,
Great to meet you.

Nice to now you have met Eddie and that you have you own opinion of him from a real experience.

looking fwd to many healthy discussions for the greater good.

Frank
7/23/09 8:19 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

BenBJJ - I dont think I ever talked bad about Eddie Bravo (his music however...), but I do disagree with some of his affiliates that he has set up, and could arue against some of his theories towards BJJ.

I also do think the formative stages of BJJ should be based around solid basics, not tricks and singular positions. Hell, I want to learn LESS techniques and just get the big basic movements correct (ie Roger Gracies display of beautiful jiu jitsu).

It does seem that Frank is not like them, good luck to you!

BenBjj,
1st of all, thanks for not putting me in the "throw him to the dogs" department!! Unfortunately, building an empire is going to have its drawbacks too, and it is fair to say that things have happened and because of them, its easy for people to create an bad image for the next who follow.

I guess my creds have been put under the microscope and have come clean, so I am happy that you see it as a positive thing, that 10th planet JJ Melbourne, is legit!

Naturally, we will disagree, that's what makes forums dude, and so far, it has been pretty interesting!!
Tricks?? There's that word again!!! No tricks in eddie's system mate, solid basics just like your has!!!!

But, I know the proving ground is going to be tough, and I am happy to be here and to not only contribute to healthy respectful discussion, but to also show up and compete when I can and with our group in tow.

:)
7/23/09 8:29 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

FingerorMoon - I love Bravo's stuff but based on the pricing of 10th Planet Melbourne, I'll continue doing BJJ at other locations and stick to learning the 10th Planet stuff from the VictoryBelt books and DVDs.

Fingerormoon,

Its funny you mentioned that (high cost)!
I have been wanting to review it for a while so I am curious to ask, what would it take to get you on the mat with us Monday night at 6pm and leave the dvd's in your bedroom for a night? ( just kiddin bro )

We actually have a casual rolling fee at the school and many have actually come by for a roll and loved it, so you are welcome anytime mate, and regardless of the fact aht I am a low life blue belt under Eddie's system, I never know, you might actually have a great time too!

Always welcome, all of you!
7/23/09 8:38 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

byron2001 - I certainly find 10thPlanet interesting, and don't really have anything negative to say about Eddie Bravo...RG and twisters are certainly sweet as additions to your game, but as a blue belt you should be focusing more on basics and sparring...

It would be cool to see either yourself or your students competing this year..

byron2001,
Dude, why is it that so many out there think, that 10th planet JJ has no basics in it, or that all we do is sit there and scramble all day long??

THAT IS CRAZY!!
The Twister? and Rubberguard? considered sweet additions?????

Man!!!!!!!! Twister side control takes YEARS to master juSt like REGULAR SIDE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rubberguard takes years to master too just like any other guard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE BASIC FUNDEMENTALS TO ALL OF THEM TOO!!!!!!
We then run an entire week long of sparring only (hell week, every 3rd week on a 3 week rotation ) so we just practice live drills and reg sparring/comp scenario's etc.. ending in G and P just to keep it real!! ( ground and pound - sparring with striking)
:)
7/23/09 8:43 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

walbjj - not sure how thats going to work with 10thpjj competing, i thought that a club needs to be affiliated under a local bb. thats the case with the nswbjj, and i assume the afbjj as well.
seeing as frank is only a blue, and eddie isnt local, how will that work? maybe he gets some sort of dispensation?

Mate,
If they accept us, we are there.

I can't make decisions for them, if they want to accept me as a legit school great, but why wouldn't they accept me, I represent 10th planet JJ under Eddie Bravo. Am I being naive about this??

Shit, top guys have trained with Eddie all the time and know him well. Elvis, George, John Will too??

We'll see what happens and I will keep you in the loop so I look forward to meeting some of you guys soon and please let me know when and where the comps are at so we can hang out and enjoy the scene.
7/23/09 8:44 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Stewie - All the best with your school Frank.

Cheers

Stewie

Thanks Stewie
7/23/09 8:48 AM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you are being somewhat naive saying that a blue belt 10th planet school is a legit school. Most here have a black belt, and most are very experienced. This is not the middle of Africa.
7/23/09 8:49 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Tycinio - $135 a month plus $150 membership fee? Seriously? And you're a blue belt?

Fuck this jiu-jitsu shit, I'm going over to Eddies as well, no gi all the way for me from now on!!

Just Kidding Frank. If people pay it, more power to you.

Good Luck with the new place.

Tycinio,
You're a funny bastard!!!

You know what? If another person complains about my prices again I'll scream! I still don't think that 16 classes per month for 135 is not expensive, that works out at $8.43 per class. man if Black belts are charging less than $8 per class, that's crazy!!!!!!!

Thanks mate
7/23/09 8:51 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

AvAMajestic - That's an awful lot of money.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

told ya,

Thanks all the same
7/23/09 9:28 AM
FingerorMoon
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10thplanetjjmelbourne - 
FingerorMoon - I love Bravo's stuff but based on the pricing of 10th Planet Melbourne, I'll continue doing BJJ at other locations and stick to learning the 10th Planet stuff from the VictoryBelt books and DVDs.

Fingerormoon,

Its funny you mentioned that (high cost)!
I have been wanting to review it for a while so I am curious to ask, what would it take to get you on the mat with us Monday night at 6pm and leave the dvd's in your bedroom for a night? ( just kiddin bro )

We actually have a casual rolling fee at the school and many have actually come by for a roll and loved it, so you are welcome anytime mate, and regardless of the fact aht I am a low life blue belt under Eddie's system, I never know, you might actually have a great time too!

Always welcome, all of you!

I actually laughed out loud at 'leave the dvd's in your bedroom for a night'. Nice one :)

I never called you a 'low life blue belt' but if you are interested in feedback for reviewing your prices, then consider some examples of competitors.

Dominance charge $90 a month and have judo, thai, boxing, MMA in addition to the BJJ on offer as well as multiple blackbelts, browns and a lot of purples wandering around.

Ground Zero has multiple locations, headed up by a blackbelt with multiple browns at $99 a month.

Anyway, good luck with everything and it is nice to see 10th Planet in Melbourne. I do like me some rubber guard.
7/23/09 6:43 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
It's a good thing he is opening as a blue. That way those established schools wont have upgrade their existing instructors from black to super black red striped tipped professors or something catchy to keep their students:)

Justin
7/23/09 6:58 PM
Stewie

At our school you can train 4 sessions a week for $30 or $10 per session. Black belt instruction and loads of good quality blue and purple belts to train with!
Also many visits from other high ranking friends of mine, e.g. Michael Johnson, James "The Mad Man" Jelley and many more!
Frank, if your students are happy with the instruction then that’s all that matters. But by charging full price now, it kinder leaves you no were to go as you climb the ranks. If someone is paying a $135 per month to train under a blue belt then how much would one pay to train under a 10thplanet black belt?
But as I said, if your students are happy with the instruction, then that’s all that matters.
I have no doubt you know your stuff, correct me if I’m wrong, but are you one of Riff’s Blue Belts from years ago? I reckon we have met before when our club came to one of Riff’s Comps!
All the Best frank and feel free to drop into the Bendigo club for a roll… Always welcome!
Cheers
Stewie
PS. Bring those Darcy chokes with you and we shall have some fun!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.