UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> 10th planet Jiu Jitsu Melbourne

7/23/09 9:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shen
986 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, it's a relief to find Americans and Canadians are not the only ones stupid enough to pay for this stuff.
7/23/09 9:21 PM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you got my PM, Grandmaster?
7/23/09 10:09 PM
Scott Epstein
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow shen you have out smarted us all.
7/24/09 1:29 AM
DMMA

I may as well throw my bit in. With fees, try and compare apples with apples. If you live anywhere regional, fees are going to be cheaper. Rent and the cost of living is more expensive in the city, so if you're training in or close to the CBD, expect the fees to be more.

At DMMA our fees are $60 per fortnight for striking or grappling, not both and you have use of the weights area as well.

Cam
7/24/09 1:37 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

shen - Honestly, it's a relief to find Americans and Canadians are not the only ones stupid enough to pay for this stuff.

sheesh!!!!!!!!!
7/24/09 1:39 AM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really dont think you should head a gym as a blue belt if there is a black belt within an hours drive.
7/24/09 1:44 AM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

everybody has an opinion, but essentially it comes down to personal choice.
7/24/09 1:46 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

FingerorMoon - 
10thplanetjjmelbourne - 
FingerorMoon - I love Bravo's stuff but based on the pricing of 10th Planet Melbourne, I'll continue doing BJJ at other locations and stick to learning the 10th Planet stuff from the VictoryBelt books and DVDs.

Fingerormoon,

Its funny you mentioned that (high cost)!
I have been wanting to review it for a while so I am curious to ask, what would it take to get you on the mat with us Monday night at 6pm and leave the dvd's in your bedroom for a night? ( just kiddin bro )

We actually have a casual rolling fee at the school and many have actually come by for a roll and loved it, so you are welcome anytime mate, and regardless of the fact aht I am a low life blue belt under Eddie's system, I never know, you might actually have a great time too!

Always welcome, all of you!

I actually laughed out loud at 'leave the dvd's in your bedroom for a night'. Nice one :)

I never called you a 'low life blue belt' but if you are interested in feedback for reviewing your prices, then consider some examples of competitors.

Dominance charge $90 a month and have judo, thai, boxing, MMA in addition to the BJJ on offer as well as multiple blackbelts, browns and a lot of purples wandering around.

Ground Zero has multiple locations, headed up by a blackbelt with multiple browns at $99 a month.

Anyway, good luck with everything and it is nice to see 10th Planet in Melbourne. I do like me some rubber guard.

Fingerormoon,
Dude, I am relieved that someone actually has a sense of humor!!
Appreciate the feedback and you have some good arguments too. Please remember, I am just starting out in this direction and by placing myself in the line of fire, I have to expect to hear things that might be against my own opinions... that's cool!! I am a good learner and I have big shoulders so keep it coming folks!

Last thing, cos you are such a funny guy, please come on in and drop in on a class anytime soon so we can meet and maybe train/swap some rubberguard?? Maybe we can call it a science experiment and then report back here and let everyone in on your experience. I am happy to be critiqued. Its nothing new to me!!

What do you think??

Frank
7/24/09 1:47 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

XFC - It's a good thing he is opening as a blue. That way those established schools wont have upgrade their existing instructors from black to super black red striped tipped professors or something catchy to keep their students:)

Justin

Nice!!!!!!!!
7/24/09 1:49 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Stewie - At our school you can train 4 sessions a week for $30 or $10 per session. Black belt instruction and loads of good quality blue and purple belts to train with!
Also many visits from other high ranking friends of mine, e.g. Michael Johnson, James "The Mad Man" Jelley and many more!
Frank, if your students are happy with the instruction then that’s all that matters. But by charging full price now, it kinder leaves you no were to go as you climb the ranks. If someone is paying a $135 per month to train under a blue belt then how much would one pay to train under a 10thplanet black belt?
But as I said, if your students are happy with the instruction, then that’s all that matters.
I have no doubt you know your stuff, correct me if I’m wrong, but are you one of Riff’s Blue Belts from years ago? I reckon we have met before when our club came to one of Riff’s Comps!
All the Best frank and feel free to drop into the Bendigo club for a roll… Always welcome!
Cheers
Stewie
PS. Bring those Darcy chokes with you and we shall have some fun!

Stewie,
Your god damn right sir!!!!
That's correct!! I was a blue there and left immediately after I began my 10th Planet JJ journey!! (Long story not interested in boring you all to tears)

If I am in Bendigo, I would love to swap Darces, especially the 'Zapital'

Cheers
7/24/09 1:58 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

BenBJJ - I really dont think you should head a gym as a blue belt if there is a black belt within an hours drive.

Dude, have you read my bio??

I have been in the game for 30 years bro, I have traveled plenty and trained with some of the best out there!!!

I teach MMA and classical arts as well for street SD (practical and functional) and doing very well by the way. My school is not solely a BJJ school. I deliver systems right across the board and have been for years. I design martial arts based programs from secondary colleges to Care workers in the mentally disabled ares and many other groups around the state and Australia wide. I have plenty of experience in delivering the system and practical mat application. This is what most pay for! Its a service provided. People actually like that too.

www.pmaa.com.au
www.10thplanetjjmelbourne.com
7/24/09 2:14 AM
LoveToChoke

You're still a blue belt Frank, and Ben is correct in saying a student will get much better instruction from a black belt.
7/24/09 2:28 AM
Sniffy

Ben is most definitely correct.
7/24/09 2:36 AM
bluesky

Frank, do you hope to compete as well and if so which division would you enter?

I wish you all the best but I can understand why people would question a 'Blue' charging so much as Eddie's shirt system is based on the BJJ's belt system.
7/24/09 4:17 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

bluesky - Frank, do you hope to compete as well and if so which division would you enter?

I wish you all the best but I can understand why people would question a 'Blue' charging so much as Eddie's shirt system is based on the BJJ's belt system.

bluesky,
Absolutely!!
I plan on competing asap. I am looking at getting my group together for an event, I haven't decided which one as yet but I will let you all know.

I will be competing in the blue belt section. I weigh 64kg so I am under 70 I guess.

Yea sure I understand that too (why people would question a 'Blue' charging so much as Eddie's shirt system is based on the BJJ's belt system)and I still believe that you can still learn a great deal regardless and sure, if a Blackbelt under Eddie's system was here, I would be there no two ways about it, but I have learnt from Black belts too and I have to say that as many are great technicians and grapplers, many cant teach for s#$%^t either. So its arguable. Its a totally different ball game having to teach a technical system.

Just my side of things.

FB
7/24/09 5:08 AM
EddieBravo
538 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
Good day yall!

You all are making good valid points, especially about the blue belt vs black belt pricing thing.

No doubt you will get way better gi instruction with any of those black belts, but no doubt these bjj black belts prolly don't know the intricacies of the rg, the twister, and my style of the lockdown half guard like Frank does, it's a totally different version of jiu jitsu and Frank has been studying it like a professional athlete.

Frank may not be a master of the entire system but he sure as hell knows how my game works and can teach it well.

If it's an unorthodox offensive no gi game you're looking for, then Frank is your man, but if it's the traditional gi game that you want then I would suggest anyone but Frank :)
7/24/09 5:42 AM
armbarcrashdummy

Eddie,

First of all it's "G'day" and we don't say 'yall'! Stupid American! :)

Re: The pricing

If we disregard specific techniques, there's going to be a fair bit of argument over whether one of your Blue's can teach better no-gi than a 'tradtional' Black Belt. To be honest, I'm inclined to agree with the 'conservatives'. There's simply no way that Frank (and no disrepect mate) can teach grappling without the gi as well as a Black Belt.

Re: Frank

Frank's known in Aus as a serious martial artist with a long, legit and VERIFIABLE history. This is a good thing and you need more guys like Frank.

Cheers,

Joe.

P.S If Simon Eschbach is still training with you, he needs more 'kneebahing' :)
7/24/09 6:03 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

armbarcrashdummy - Eddie,

First of all it's "G'day" and we don't say 'yall'! Stupid American! :)

Re: The pricing

If we disregard specific techniques, there's going to be a fair bit of argument over whether one of your Blue's can teach better no-gi than a 'tradtional' Black Belt. To be honest, I'm inclined to agree with the 'conservatives'. There's simply no way that Frank (and no disrepect mate) can teach grappling without the gi as well as a Black Belt.

Re: Frank

Frank's known in Aus as a serious martial artist with a long, legit and VERIFIABLE history. This is a good thing and you need more guys like Frank.

Cheers,

Joe.

P.S If Simon Eschbach is still training with you, he needs more 'kneebahing' :)

Joe,
No disrespect taken mate! Stupid American?? OUCH!!!!
I really appreciate the comments about my history.
I appreciate it!
7/24/09 8:46 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably the best event to showcase the 10thpjj system would be the panpacs. it has a no-gi division and it has adults, masters and seniors as well.
plus its in melb, so its tailor made for 10thpjj's coming out party. i would hope that u guys clean up the white and blue belt divisions in the no gi portion of the panpacs
7/24/09 11:42 AM
ken amtrack

grabs popcorn...dont stop now
7/24/09 11:44 AM
ken amtrack

Was getting tired of the Brock Fedor thingy
7/24/09 11:49 AM
ken amtrack

Fine...hey Frank if you come to class noticeably stoned can you still roll...roll meaning train
7/24/09 11:55 AM
ken amtrack

Dave Navarro is good for BJJ if he uses a rubber or not
7/24/09 11:58 AM
BenBJJ

"Good day yall!"

Oh dear.
7/24/09 12:32 PM
ken amtrack

Question...John Will could Kick most peoples Butt a block away...he knows Rubber Gaurd...how would it help him in that situation

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.