UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Career Advice

7/20/09 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Last Don
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, so I've decided that I can't stay a prosecutor forever.

Right now, I'm about 2 years into my career as a "big city prosecutor," and while I love the work, the politics and pay are killing me.

I've decided that I need to move on. I've thought extensively about working in private practice as a criminal defense attorney, but I'm not thoroughly thrilled about my prospects. Solo practice is out of the question, and I don't think I've been around long enough to demand a higher paying private gig.

I love trial work, and feel that it's my greatest gift. I'm particularly good with gun cases and DUI/traffic, but I don't think that's my future.

I'm looking to break into another field, but it seems like every line of legal work out there demands that you have experience in that field prior to starting even entry level positions. So much for "attorneys don't specialize, we can do anything!!!"

My first thought is to monitor USAJobs.gov for anything that I may be remotely qualified for, but I find that the jobs posted there are posted as a formality, and are already guaranteed to someone internally.

I've also applied with several federal law enforcement agencies, but I have not heard anything for several months now, and I'm growing antsy.

I know that this is not the best time to look to make a career move, with the economy in the crapper, and the legal job market saturated, but what would you guys recommend? Have any of you made a transition like the one I'm looking to make? How did you do it?
7/20/09 11:48 AM
Fake Pie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not in the criminal area but I would think federal would be your best bet. I have a friend that works at the DOJ (antitrust), I can put you guys in touch and maybe she can give you some advice if you would like. I am sure Bflex has some ideas about private practice as well.

Unless you want to do commercial litigation, I don't think I have anything else relevant to say (not my area but my firm has it and it is one of the only still busy areas).
7/20/09 2:45 PM
jclay

Maybe put in another 2 years with the State, move up to A or division chief, then reapply for federal jobs?
7/20/09 3:45 PM
Subadie

Edited: 07/20/09 3:47 PM
I've known a number of people to get atty jobs from USAjobs.gov. Although it is a formality (or even improperly bypassed) on some occasions, more often than not they are real openings. Pay particular attention to "DHS assistant chief counsel" openings. Sounds like just your field, and are universally real openings
7/21/09 4:38 PM
LiveWire
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don-

Have you considered work for a Corp? Possibly not as an attorney but related field?

I've used USAJOBS also, sometimes it takes months just to get a response, so I wouldn't worry about that.
7/24/09 7:10 PM
pm1964
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of smaller private firms are looking for attorneys with trial experience. I do labor and empluyment defense, and have hired guys from the local PD office loking to go private, precisely because they have trial experience.
8/11/09 2:50 PM
Last Don
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right now I'm looking really strongly into the FBI.

We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I'll be looking into smaller firms, federal and corporate positions.

I have worked for a corporation, and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how attainable those jobs are right now.
8/11/09 5:06 PM
Subadie

My friend got a job with the FBI witha a law degree - are you sure you can afford the low pay ?
9/3/09 9:58 PM
LiveWire
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don-

I've seen posting in my company in our contracts department if you're interest. Not direct legal work though.
9/5/09 10:33 AM
Fake Pie

LiveWire -  Don-

I've seen posting in my company in our contracts department if you're interest. Not direct legal work though.

Glad to hear you are working again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.