UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> BGE Attacked Me!

7/21/09 12:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy fucking shit. I was grilling some flank for fajinas. I had it up around 750*. I closed the lid, then came back to pull them off. Good God. Flames shot about about 1'. Blistered my knuckles and singed my arm hair off.
7/21/09 11:31 AM
alpo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

I take it you didn't watch the DVD that came with it.  At temperatures of over 400, you have to "burp" it before you open it.  That is, you open it about an inch or two for a couple seconds before you open it all the way.  It is just a habit you have to get into.  With ceramic cookers, you are controlling the temperature by choking the oxygen so the coals can't do anything more than smolder, so when you open it, the air rushes in and creates a backdraft. 

There are videos floating around of people taking it up to dangerous temperatures (1200+) and opening the lid quickly on purpose, like with a pulley and rope to open it.  I mean literally, the grate is flying off and charcoal is shooting out everywhere. 
7/21/09 11:37 AM
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched. Burped it, even. I guess I just didn't burp it long enough.
7/23/09 9:15 AM
samichlaus
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

volatile organic compounds & oxygen = fun!

Glad you're ok.
7/24/09 4:07 PM
Extendo
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - lol

There are videos floating around of people taking it up to dangerous temperatures (1200+) and opening the lid quickly on purpose, like with a pulley and rope to open it.  I mean literally, the grate is flying off and charcoal is shooting out everywhere. 

Please post one of these vids. It would help me sell it to the lady.
9/6/09 1:52 PM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes I think the BGE is malicious. You lift the lid to burp it and if you don't allow just enough O2 to get in there nothing will happen. Then you think it's safe and you lift it the rest of the way and BAM! The BGE knows!

9/8/09 10:54 AM
alpo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't find the video I was talking about, but I did find this one.  It's not as extreme, but I think I've had a few like this before. 

9/8/09 11:27 AM
Extendo
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes me want one even more.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.