UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Starting charcoal with isopropyl alcohol?

7/21/09 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy is claiming 5 minute start up times.
7/21/09 12:33 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet it takes much less time to burn off than lighter fluid.
7/21/09 11:09 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just so happen to be out of fire starters. Perhaps I'll try this tomorrow.
7/21/09 11:10 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Part 2.
7/22/09 6:38 PM
samichlaus
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's cool. I use MAPP gas. A cylinder costs 6 bucks or so, and lasts me several months so cost really isn't a big deal. Admittedly I already owned the torch. It's also cool for caramelizing stuff, not to mention home repairs. I like the idea though. I'm sure it is faster since you're preheating your cooker as opposed to get a chimney going, then dumping in to your cooker.
7/22/09 9:10 PM
Mullet @ Heart

I tried this, with a few twists:

1. Only 30 ml of alcohol. I figured BGE charcoal might be easier to start, and 50 seemed like an assload.

2. I didn't go through the stacking bullshit.

I failed. I closed the lid right away, like he did, and it went out in a few minutes.
7/23/09 8:57 AM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a MAPP torch also.  It works pretty good, but this seemed cooler.  The canisters do last forever.  Not having to screw around with coals is supposed to be one of the advantages of the BGE, but I may try this just for the hell of it. 
7/23/09 11:07 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the propane. I tried the MAPP... while it was a little quicker, it seemed to burn up faster while costing more.
7/23/09 11:27 AM
crescentwrench
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish he didn't have that vid narrated by a Dalek. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.