UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Taking GMATS. Suggestions?

7/22/09 9:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need to take it at the end of this year. But I'm a lazy ass and procrastinated, so I don't have much time left to study.

Any recent test takers? What's the most effective way to study for this one? Should I sign up for Kaplan?

Test does not seem that difficult. I think I can ace it without studying. But I've been wrong before. Any suggestions?
7/22/09 9:17 AM
slam1523

Edited: 07/22/09 9:17 AM

double
7/23/09 3:31 PM
GrandInquisitor
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would seriously go through one of the study guides very carefully before you get too confident about acing the test.

Also, if you have a ton of money, go for some Kaplan or Princeton courses, but they are ultra-fucking expensive.
10/4/09 12:15 PM
ironmongoose

You've GOT to be able to find friends who've taken it before and whose books you can bum off them.

Put in the proper amount of time with a book from a store or library (or borrowed) and you'll be just as well prepared. I've never paid for a test prep seminar in my life.
1/28/10 8:16 PM
poolparty

i was thinking about going back to school for my MBA. I've been out of school for a while and found the GMAT a bit intimidating.

Business Week has a ton of info
http://www.businessweek.com/business-schools/

and here specifically about the GMAT
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/aug2009/bs20090810_272443.htm
9/10/11 8:48 PM
homsian

Check out:

www.beatthegmat.com <-- I haven't checked out this site in a while, but the original forum was really helpful.

www.manhattangmat.com <-- They are much better than Kaplan or Princeton Review. If you don't want to take the course, purchase their workbooks and complete the recommended problems in the back of the book.

www.gmatfocus.com <-- You can purchase "official" practice math problems. It will help you evaluate what you will score on the math section.

Sit down in B&N and check out the Princeton Review GMAT book and read the section about the writing section of the GMAT. The essay set-up they provide is great and easy to remember.
10/17/11 9:15 PM
BIG CHAD

I've taken the GMAT and got 610 (and currently a Penn State grad student) . Go to your local library and check out two different volumes of the latest GMAT review books/manuals (Princeton Review, etc). Study about 4-6 weeks, covering each of the sections in total in this amount of time. After this amount of time, its total law of diminishing returns, and you either know it or you don't. Do not worry about studying for the essays (I'm serious). Then register for the exam online and go take it at the local testing center.
11/16/11 10:28 PM
Phaze420
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

760 here.

Manhattan GMAT is a good bet, and so is Veritas Prep, but if you're bright you might be able to pull it off without instruction, just buying the books.

You will need to practice, data sufficiency and some of the other questions are just weird, and you need practice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.