UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kimo Leopoldo's camp considering legal action

7/22/09 7:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Kimo Leopoldo's camp considering legal action against perpetrator of fake death report

A day after proving wrong reports of his death, MMA veteran Kim "Kimo" Leopoldo and his representatives are considering legal action against the person who first posted the false news, the fighter's manager today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

On Tuesday a member of a popular online MMA forum made a post in which he stated the 41-year-old Leopoldo had died due to complications from a heart attack while in Costa Rica.

Numerous MMA blogs and mainstream outlets such as TMZ and the New York Daily News issued reports with  the bogus information before Leopoldo appeared later in the day at a press conference at the Orange County Sheriff's Department in California to debunk the rumors.

Brandt Stebbins, Leopoldo's manager, denied that anyone associated with the fighter was part of the initial report.

"Plain and simple, you can go to mixedmartialarts.com and see all the posts," Stebbins said. "You can see the posts from the original people and the original guy who started it. That gentleman was banned (from the site). We're trying to summons his name so we can sue him. We're not taking this lightly."

Stebbins did not clarify under what pretense the forum member would be sued, though the camp would likely need to prove he or she knowingly posted incorrect information.

Despite the fact that it took nearly a full day to track down Leopoldo – who said he was sleeping and awoke to nearly 100 voicemails – Stebbins is adamant that the situation wasn't a marketing ploy or gimmick to get "Kimo's" name back in the media.

"We have nothing to hide," Stebbins said. "We can point anyone to where this started.

"Those posts did not come from anyone in our camp."

Once Stebbins heard the rumors of his client's death, he said he and other people close to Leopoldo couldn't initially track him down. They called the sheriff's department, fire department, coroner and other authorities trying to glean any bit of information about Leopoldo's whereabouts.

That's why Stebbins said he was hesitant to publicly confirm that Leopoldo, who was actually home asleep in California, was alive and well in the few hours before the press conference was held.

"I didn't get to see Kimo face to face till 3:30 or 4 (p.m. PT)," Stebbins said. "I didn't want to say, 'Yes, Kimo is alive,' until I physically saw Kimo face to face. ... It's impossible to know who to trust. ... Personally, I wasn't going to say he was alive until I saw him in person and knew for myself."

Ultimately, the announcement was made Tuesday evening at a press conference at the Orange County Sheriff's Department. Stebbins said the department fielded approximately 200 calls from media members and fans, and they wanted official word to come from the department to assure everyone that Leopoldo was alive.

Leopoldo ultimately addressed the media for approximately five minutes and said he was as surprised as anyone to hear the reports.

"[Kimo] said the first thing he did was stand up and look in the mirror to make sure he was really alive," Stebbins said. "His poor son was calling from Hawaii and was ready to get on a plane. He was totally distraught.

"That's the real problem with stuff like this."

read full article...

7/22/09 7:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
1270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is this source confirmed?
7/22/09 7:58 PM
droplogic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a bunch of assholes, instead of using the publicity to launch a line of sneakers or renew his career this prick wants the easy money, go on icehead, sue the original poster of the rumour.  Good luck finding him.
7/22/09 8:01 PM
story97

this is really funny. good luck with this lawsuit. lol. I hope they waste thousands of dollars on it. since they'll get zero in return.

Actually kimo owes OMA and the ug money for making him somehow relevant for anything at this point.
7/22/09 8:03 PM
fanoffights

Man, don't ban me but I just have to finally say that I have really, really tried to stick up for UG News over the last while but now I just have to say that this news is, well... old news by now!
7/22/09 8:21 PM
TheBear228
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just don't see them being able to sue for much.

When you're dealing with a celebrity, and Kimo is a celebrity, there has to be a proven and undisputable financial or career damaging form of libel or slander done.

As painful as this scenario may have been for him, it hasn't hurt him financially (other than lawyer fees and misc costs), and if anything it has helped his career and his standing in the public.

Maybe he could get a few buck for emotional pain and suffering, but he's already admitting it's more a problem for his friends and family than it is for him emotionally.
7/22/09 9:20 PM
NJstileNJ
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you are all fuckin faggot dickriders of OMA...he did a jerk off thing and you wanna talk shit about Kimo the guy didn't do shit OMA is a little faggot
7/22/09 9:22 PM
jjj2121

LMAO if a Sherdog poster did this we'd all be saying good for Kimo and the asshole responsible deserves this shit...the mans friends and family had the shit scared out of them yesterday.

But since it was OMA, it's hilarious, right UG?
7/22/09 9:24 PM
Master Tang

same story on mmaweekly.com now

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9203&zoneid=13
7/22/09 9:28 PM
Michgan241

jjj2121 - LMAO if a Sherdog poster did this we'd all be saying good for Kimo and the asshole responsible deserves this shit...the mans friends and family had the shit scared out of them yesterday.

WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU WITH BOTH OF MY FINGERS PLUGGED IN MY EARS LIKE THIS. BUT OMA IS HEEEELARIOUS DONT YOU THINK?

(sorry i had to shout but i couldnt hear, you know with the ears plugged and all)
7/22/09 9:29 PM
goku

lol@ug news posting about itself being sued!!!!1
7/22/09 9:30 PM
Fight!

This is the most publicity Kimo has had in 10 years. I bet he's pretty pumped up. I bet he lands a big fight from all of this.
7/22/09 10:56 PM
Cementhead
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the UG
7/22/09 11:03 PM
Chomas
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/22/09 11:04 PM
its fucked up that his son was upset thinking his dad was dead

now it's officially not cool

that said I don't see Kimo gaining anything from the broke ass motherfucker beau
7/22/09 11:03 PM
Slapsymaxi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who the hell is representing Kimo?

What does he even do now?

Max
7/22/09 11:10 PM
Attila
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't wait to see OMA and Kimo testifying in front of Judge Judy.
7/22/09 11:10 PM
sifu michael

OMA's antics annoy me. That he may have to spend a tidy sum defending himself against an admittedly frivolous lawsuit lawsuit cracks me up. I guess one can't go on trolling with impunity forever, hmm?
7/22/09 11:15 PM
FearMir
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

droplogic - What a bunch of assholes, instead of using the publicity to launch a line of sneakers or renew his career this prick wants the easy money, go on icehead, sue the original poster of the rumour.  Good luck finding him.

Is OMA really that hard to track down?
7/22/09 11:18 PM
BigSherm

droplogic - What a bunch of assholes, instead of using the publicity to launch a line of sneakers or renew his career this prick wants the easy money, go on icehead, sue the original poster of the rumour.  Good luck finding him.

LMAO

yeah I bet OMA is loaded LOL
7/22/09 11:20 PM
_goldplatedeyes_
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is hilarious.

This won't even be a case.  Those who should be punished are the moronic mediua outlets who ran with one flimsy source from an online forum. IDIOTS
7/22/09 11:48 PM
tenchu

jjj2121 - LMAO if a Sherdog poster did this we'd all be saying good for Kimo and the asshole responsible deserves this shit...the mans friends and family had the shit scared out of them yesterday.

This.
7/22/09 11:55 PM
Fight!

Why would Kimo seek legal action? This is the biggest thing that has happened to him in 10 years.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.