UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Give me some good pancake recipes

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/27/09 6:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hvt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to learn how to make some really good American-style pancakes for breakfast and would appreciate some contributions. Any pointers on how I should cook them will also be helpful.
7/27/09 12:32 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More important than the pancake recipe is getting real maple syrup. A pancake is a sponge made to transfer syrup to your mouth. Whatever you do don't buy that fake shit in the plastic bottle.
8/2/09 1:24 AM
Benntheredunthat
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always just use the Aunt Jemima whole wheat mix--the instructions just say to add water but I found adding an egg really makes the pancakes fluffier. As far as preparation: just use a good pan or electric griddle on med/high heat with plenty of cooking spray, oil, or butter. Slather with nutella and crunchy peanut butter and enjoy..
8/2/09 10:44 AM
crescentwrench
412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alton Brown's homemade pancake mix rules.  A little crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and not too terribly sweet on its own so the syrup won't make overkill.  Plus you make a lot and have it on hand for a quick fix later on.  

Linky linky

The only other recipe I can remember is this one from Tyler Florence, they're ricotta pancakes.

Ricotta Pancakes Link

These are really moist and creamy (obviously) on their own and fairly dense.  I didn't do the roasted apples or prosciutto, I just used plain ol' syrup. But go easy on the sweets, just a little will make them very sweet.  And with the tang of the cheese in there it's almost like eating cheesecake.  This would be something to break out if after a big session the night before and you didn't want her to take off first thing in the morning.  

And yes, real maple syrup is essential.  Mrs. Butterworth and her ilk just put coloring in corn syrup.  Though some people have eaten it for so long the real deal will taste too foreign to them.  I still have to have a small bottle on hand in case my parents ever stay over.  My dad refuses to eat anything other than the same shit he's eaten his whole life.  

8/2/09 11:15 PM
Zoso
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use Alton Brown's as well. They are great.
8/3/09 5:12 AM
FCTV808
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whatever your mix is, i mash a banana and mix it in. also a dash of vanilla extract and some sugar. oh man

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.