UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Motorcycle Techs = worthy /decent career ?

7/27/09 11:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey guys i thought this was a proper forum to bring this up aside from OG...

i ALWAYS love motorcycles and even had one waaay back...i have been just fascinated with them ALL MY LIFE and still am. Years ago i was think ing of going to a mechanic school and was close to it but things came up and got away from it completely...not the love for the bikes but the career intention i initially had to pursue an education on them.

iw as wondering how is the security and pay level more or less would u say its at ? i happened on chance found a school near me (unlike before -it was florida/arizona - iam in PA).

its at YTI in York...a nice looking lil spot and the curriculuum is 9months -that i like. i wanted to go back to school but the timing to put in was like "UUGGGHH " . any repoonses of "in the know " accepted :)
7/28/09 2:22 AM
White347LX

If you open your own shop then you're set. If you go to work at a dealership you'll be a broke mofo.
7/28/09 2:52 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the dealership mechanics I've run into have to know how to work on bikes because all they can afford are beaters. Even the guys who own their own shops aren't rolling in dough, but they're doing what they love and its hard to put a price on that.

I figure you'll probably have to do some time making next to nothing, but don't slack, don't do sloppy work and build some contacts. Then go out on your own.
8/1/09 7:48 PM
Atecexa

problem with bikes unlike cars is most people who have one won't let anyone else touch it and do everything themselves. also too when it comes to something they cant do a lot of peole just wont even bother, sell it for cheap and get a new one

that's the problem with a completely ridiculous bike like a CBR1000 being around $10k new and a similar level car being around $85k new. bikes overall are just too cheap for people to spend dealer money maintaining
8/6/09 1:30 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you work on new harleys, you will need a scantool.
8/6/09 8:04 PM
Atecexa

that would probably be your best place to start if youre looking to work for a dealership. also too consider where you live as well. in NE the demand for moto techs is probably a lot less than in the southwest...more time to ride more miles more maint needed
8/7/09 12:55 AM
White347LX

Atecexa - problem with bikes unlike cars is most people who have one won't let anyone else touch it and do everything themselves. also too when it comes to something they cant do a lot of peole just wont even bother, sell it for cheap and get a new one

that's the problem with a completely ridiculous bike like a CBR1000 being around $10k new and a similar level car being around $85k new. bikes overall are just too cheap for people to spend dealer money maintaining

That makes sense to you and I, but MANY people who buy new bikes don't even change the oil themselves. Dealerships charge $100 for a oilchange and they have mechanics busy all day doing it. Oil changes, clutches, tires, brakes, valves and rebuilding front forks will keep a smalltime bike shop owner busy all riding season.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.