UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> AGA Gi Tourny Aug. 22!!

7/28/09 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alabama Grapplers' Association, Inc

The AGA will hold its gi tourny on Sat., Aug. 22 in Brookwood, AL.  Details and whatnot to follow.
7/28/09 6:32 PM
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/28/09 6:41 PM
For directions use google maps:
"ball park road, brookwood, al 35444"
You don't need a building name; just use this address.

It's the only building on that loop. Any gas station in the area can point you toward it. Just ask for the "softball fields." It ain't hard to find. It's the building that will have a bunch of cars outside it and a cage inside it!

The name is the G. G. Hardin Center, but just ask for the softball fields. There's about 10 fields, the police & fire station, city hall, etc. Don't put the name in google maps because it doesn't know where the hell it is. Just use "ball park road". Trust me.

There's an excellent restaurant, La Fiesta, about 200 yds away. It is a sponsor, so please stop by for lunch and tell them you're there because of the tourney. Except for a dollar store and a gas station, that's about it for Brookwood. lol..

But, seriously, La Fiesta has some great food and awesome drinks, so hit them for lunch. I should have burgers, soft drinks, etc. at the tourney, but for something more substantial, go to La Fiesta.

And don't forget, we are having a CAGE FIGHT that night... 7 pm. Ten fights on the card, including a HEAVYWEIGHT title match... If you are in the tourney, you can buy tix for half-price ($10) so stick around for the fights.

Thanks.
Tom Stedham, owner
SOUTHERN FIGHTING ALLIANCE
7/29/09 8:43 AM
Hiza Geri

7/29/09 11:32 AM
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's AWESOME!
7/30/09 11:36 AM
TomStedham

Please update the AGA website with the tourney date and info. I've sent out bulletins and people are wanting info.

"Why isn't it on the website?" they keep asking me...
7/30/09 1:30 PM
Hiza Geri

Tom,
has anyone told you that you were as annoying as a girlfriend...?  lol  I'm working on it, chief.  I'm not single, making zombie movies in the woods... lol
7/30/09 8:58 PM
TomStedham

Edited: 07/30/09 9:04 PM
Technically, my next project, THE BLOOD CREEK WOODSMAN, isn't really a "zombie movie" per se...

I've only done ONE ZOMBIE MOVIE!!! Get the dvd at Movie Gallery and find out for yourself: PLATOON OF THE DEAD will be there soon.
I've had several inquiries about the tourney; how much is the entry, etc.
7/30/09 11:00 PM
Hiza Geri

I want the autographed copy!

$55 if you are not yet a member, $20 if you are (member of the AGA).  Double elim tournament; no single loss and go home.  If you are eligible for multiple entries/brackets, no extra charge.

A clean gi and underwear are required!!!!!!!  A cup is not, but if you scream, it is a submission and YOU LOSE!!!!
7/30/09 11:41 PM
Josh J

So far it sounds like we may have a good sized group from Triad going. I hope we can get a good crowd.
7/31/09 1:18 AM
TomStedham

Excellent! I'm looking forward to this tournament. It seems to be shaping up very well.
7/31/09 2:23 AM
williepep
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Without Tom this tournament would not happen.

Tom donating the building is one of the most gracious acts I have witnessed in quite some time.

I love it, even when you guys try to insult Mr Stedham he encourages you to watch one of his movies!
7/31/09 6:07 AM
Josh J

I've actually added it to my netflix, in spite of the 1 star rating.
7/31/09 6:58 AM
Hiza Geri

Are you going to compete Willie...?  You could be gracious and volunteer some table work...
7/31/09 10:34 AM
TomStedham

One star rating??? Wow, that hurts... I gotta do something about that.
7/31/09 4:51 PM
Josh J

Have you not checked that? The reviews are pretty mean as well. I will hook you up after I watch it.

As for this competition, anyone know who all is planning on competing?
7/31/09 5:17 PM
Hiza Geri

No idea, yet.
7/31/09 5:36 PM
MOWA Outlaw

Here are some reviews for 'Platoon of the Dead' from Netflix users:

"Is this a joke? How are these movies getting released on NF?? Honestly, folks do not waste your time! Or, I dare you to watch it all the way through! I should have at least looked at a trailer first. So go look for a trailer, you will then see that you should not waste your time with this. This movie tried to be taken seriously, but really was not good enough to make it in the realm of a B movie. I give the crew props for successfully getting their film on to NF. And there is probably a reason why they chose NOT to put their trailer on. Honestly, NF needs to start screening movies for at least a scent of quality. If you're up for a lot of laughs, then go for it... if not, just keep looking! I mean they shot this on a camcorder! Seriously. I am paying for this account because I want to enjoy movies, so why would I waste my money on this? 05/26/09

25 out of 31 people found this review helpful."

"This was so awful that I could barely finish the first 15 minutes -- the acting was some of the absolute worst I've ever seen (which is saying a lot), and it looked like a something a bunch of college kids would produce with a really cheap video camera. I've seen a lot of cheesy and so-bad-they're good zombie movies, but this isn't worth even five minutes of anyone's time. Watch ANY zombie film but this one.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful."

"This was not a b-movie horror I would recommend to anyone. Terrible acting, cheesy laser effects, even worse laser sounds, bad script, horrible dialog and may to much mustard used as makeup. Maybe as I have gotten older, my tastes in horror have become to sophisticated. If such a transition is possible lol. I found myself becoming quite bored with this trite.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful."
7/31/09 5:57 PM
MOWA Outlaw

Blasters from Star Wars?! Move over Tora! Tora! Tora! because Platoon of the Dead is joining you in the queue.

Gotta elevate my mind before I watch this bad boy!
7/31/09 9:08 PM
Hiza Geri

Honestly, how can you depend at all on a review from someone who mistakes "trite" for "tripe"?? 
8/2/09 12:58 AM
TomStedham

Well.... all I can say is... well, not much, actually...

I'm in Portland right now, making yet another movie, so I'll address this whole alleged "bad review" thing when I get back... I must be doing something right, though, because they keep flying me out here!

Um... this one's a zombie film too...
But wait til you hear who's in my next one! (hint: they will be at the Aug. 22 fight! Big announcement coming!). This one's being filmed in Alabama. Maybe in October...?

Hey, FIVE BUCKS OFF YOUR TICKET if you show up with a copy of one of my movies!!! How's that? And not a burned copy, either!

And, remember,
GI tournament during the day, awesome cage fights at night. The Heavyweight belt is on the line. Braxton Smith vs Walt Harris, Champions MMA...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.