UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Do you ever have dreams about old gigs?

7/30/09 12:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/30/09 12:51 PM

I know there's no rhyme or reason to dreams, so this is more of a curiosity thing than anything else: Do you ever have dreams about venues where you used to gig? Every now & then I do & I'm usually left wondering why *that* one?

When I was still a kid, a booking agency used to stick me in this one place whenever another act cancelled. It was hours away & usually pretty bad circumstances as I'd generally be late & they'd be expecting someone else. I probably did 5-10 gigs there before intentionally fucking it up so bad that I wouldn't be allowed back. Hadn't even thought about this place for like 15 years.

So this dream I had last night was the same place, same circumstances, except now they had to fly me out from Vegas where I live now, lol.

Anyway, I never have dreams about old workplaces - even ones that I spent years at - just gig venues. Anyone else get the same deal?
7/30/09 11:51 PM
Nostradumbass

I once had a dream that I rode a Big Wheel to the Greek Theater. I'm not sure if I valeted it or stacked parked.

True story...
7/31/09 1:20 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I have dreams like that they're usually surreal situations. Things like showing up for a gig and realize it's in a huge stadium with some band I've never played with before and I don't realize I've never rehearsed with them until we walk out onstage.

The strangest one I had was when I was around 18. I had a dream about an old movie theatre that had been converted into a music venue. For some reason when I woke up I remembered every detail of the place, huge elaborate staircases, ornate marble floors. A few years later the band I was with went to record an album, and the studio was in an old movie theatre exactly like I had dreamt. Serious deja vu. I even knew where the bathrooms were.
8/4/09 9:13 PM
Thelonious

Not a dream, but often when I'm setting up I get deja vu about this non descript show like six years ago that I don't really remember. Nothing special about the night at all, wasn't a memorable performance or anything, just grinding through hotels. For a long time I wasn't even sure if it was a real memory.

It's really weird, almost like a repressed memory or something, I can vividly picture and smell the room for a split second and it seems to trigger randomly.
8/5/09 2:28 PM
Dirt

Never gigged, only been playing 2 years or so. But I've had a couple dreams where I'm in a stadium getting ready to play lead guitar with an arena rock band whom I've never practiced with and only know one of their songs.

I imagine it's somewhat like the 'find yourself at work in your underwear' type dream
8/5/09 2:55 PM
BarkLikeADog

^Yeah, that's just a performance anxiety issue. Not what I was talking about.
8/6/09 1:27 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/09 1:27 AM
Not many gigs to speak of but I wake up laughing from remembering/dreaming a recording session in which we used a harmonizer and very slightly shifted the pitch at random timing on the headphone moniter of a singer who was in a booth trying to lay down a track.

The vocal track that came from this was pure gold.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.