UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Pustular Psoriasis

7/30/09 11:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bluegrass
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured I'd start a thread here and see if anyone has any experience with this or can help direct me to someone who is more open-minded than the Western medicine industry. 

Out of nowhere, massive flare-ups of pustular psoriasis started plaguing me in November.  After seeing countless podiatrists, dermatologists, rheumatologists, radiologists, and a hematologist, it was determined, at the age of 35, that I had this rare, "hard-to-treat" form of psoriasis and possibly psoriatic arthritis. Ugh!!  The meds they want to put me on will give me cancer, or shorten my life for sure.  They also cost $5000 a month.  I have great insurance, but there is still a decent chunck I need to pay out of pocket.

Except for being a bit overweight, I've always been healthy.  Rarely sick and never had a rash or skin blemish before last November.  Western medicine says this form of psoriasis is incurable and very hard to treat.  Well, I need to prove them otherwise.  I haven't worked since April because of blistery hands and feet.  I'm completely miserable and don't know where to turn next. 

Thanks for your help!
8/8/09 11:12 AM
Bluegrass
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/8/09 4:24 PM
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BG,

I've not had this, nor have I ever known anyone to have it. However, given that you don't seem to have anywhere to turn, have you considered looking at your diet?

Thoughtout most of my life, I had eczema/contact dermatitis. It gradually got better throughout my life but was always there. A few months ago I cut out all starches and started a "paleo" diet. Much to my amazement, my skin become completely blemish-free.

Like I said - I am suggesting this as a "why not?" experiment to see if it might help. I would suggest removing all allergens from your diet then gradually reducing starch. Even if it does affect your skin, the difference in health and sense of well being is awesome.
8/11/09 3:29 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny this came up - just this afternoon I was talking to a potential training client that is recovering from pustular psoriasis. She got it bad and had to go on disability for a while, even spent 2 years in a wheelchair. The good news is that she is well on the road to recovery, is walking and starting to become active again.

Here's a good article discussing pustular psoriasis, treatments, and support:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pustular_psoriasis/article_em.htm

Be sure to check out the National Psoriasis Foundation for good information and support: http://www.psoriasis.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=798

While you work on finding an effective treatment, start planning how you would cope with being unable to work for a while. Or at least figure out what other type(s) of work you could do while you deal with it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.