UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Roy: Question about your 40 and over DVD

7/31/09 9:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TrevorRice
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Roy,
First I want to say that I - really really enjoyed this DVD.
I am not 40 yet, but i am in my 30's and I am often tired when training (full time job, beautiful baby girl and Angry/Screaming wife). I love your technique and I love the way you roll. (the only person that I have seen as technical and non-explosive - is John Dahner).

My question is about the posture you use - for sidemount defense.
DO you keep the back of your head pinned to the floor?
I like the arm details and wrist protection, just wondering about the posture of the head. Can you explain a bit??
8/4/09 8:04 AM
zade
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great question
I would like to know roy's answer aswell because i've always been told to put your head on the mat to make it difficult for a deep crossface.Please help roy!!!!
8/15/09 12:24 PM
ReneH

I would say it doesn't matter where you stuff/hide your head because there is always a counter to your efforts.

You plant your head on the mat while you are cross mounted and I put my forearm across your throat, or one can plant all their weight on their shoulder and direct it across your jaw. All very punishing and uncomfortable moves.

But, just like you guys, I'd love to hear Roy's take on this.
8/19/09 4:28 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The answer is:  It depends!

1. Placing your head on the mat is good for some things, not so good for others.
2. Lifting your head up off the mat is better for other things.

My personal preference: I'll try to keep my head up and off of the mat. In other words, I want my opponent to reach for my head. When he reaches for my head (i.e. he tries to cross face me), I'll have something waiting for him :-))

Roy
8/21/09 1:45 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy, I look forward to your new dvds discussing side mount from the bottom.

As a beginner, I find this a really hard positions to get out of. I also notice that significant portion of sparring is spent with side mount (top/bottom).
10/8/09 6:32 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

icon115,

My new instructionals will more thoroughly address this area of training. Having personally spent more than seven years focusing on side mount escapes, and having spent the last two years refining what I used to teach, I have come up with some new techniques and tactics that make escaping the side mount even easier. I look forward to presenting this new information in early 2010.

Roy Harris
10/15/09 2:50 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look forward to the DVD. Thanks Mr. Harris.
10/19/09 11:00 PM
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me too! ;)
11/19/09 2:06 PM
Thor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got the Over-40 DVD yesterday and have watched most of it. I'm excited about trying it out and changing my game a little based on what Roy has to say on the DVD. Hopefully I'll see the young guys start breathing hard.
11/30/09 10:46 AM
Roy Harris

Thor,

The keys to the content of that DVD are (a) developing awareness and patience, and (b) learning to feel for specific points in time when your opponent's take their weight off of you. THAT is the best time to escape!

Let me know how things go!

Roy Harris
12/1/09 10:06 AM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy,

I'm back in training after 1 year off for knee injury/surgery.

For the next few sessions, my plan is to roll exactly like you do in the first roll on the training section on "BJJ over 40." I think you're rolling with Brad and you let him pass and mount and use a lot of the defensive postures and positions.

I wonder if you have any SIMPLE suggestions for open guard grips that would comport with the relaxed, low-energy style of grappling you demonstrate in that section of the DVD. I think I can figure out attacks on my own, but I am not sure what to use as my "go to" grips when playing open guard, so that I can roll safely and effectively and above-all remaining injury free.

Anyone else reading, please feel free to chime in.

I would be delighted to receive any reply at all. However,
I know you are extremely busy. In any case, thanks.
12/7/09 12:17 PM
Thor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy,
I think that's what I got out of the dvd the most. Because my conditioning is a bit off from a long layoff, I'm trying to finish quickly and if I don't I'm way to gassed to even continue after a while. My top game is good and I can relax and maintain control but until I watched the dvd, if I was caught in the bottom, I would work too hard to get out quick. With the postures and positioning you showed I think I'll have a much easier time relaxing.

I still love doing the chest lock you showed at the Rochester seminar from a few years back.
Thanks,
Dave Walsh (Thor)
12/21/09 9:02 PM
Slysir09

Im very interested in the side mount escape vid but on your website the store link is a dead link.
4/10/10 4:48 AM
Roy Harris

www.royharris.com version 7 is on its way. When it goes live (hopefully in early May), I will have some DVDs for sale.

Roy Harris
4/29/10 1:04 AM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com, Owner
 If anyone is interested in Mr. Harris videos (including the original VHS series that have ALL been converted to DVD), you can find that at my website www.ImposeYourWill.com  

Adam

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.