UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Michigan Awards Weekend Cadillac Michigan

8/1/09 8:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheVoice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This event will be epic as we celebrate the great sport of MMA and ALL invovled in it. All promoters will lay down thier swords to to come together for the betterment of the sport and its athelets. Fighters who battle eachother in the cage will share laughs on the golf course, support staff will round the bases on the softball diamond together and Cage girls will cheer eachother on! The setting will be spectacular on beautiful Lake Cadllac at the Sands Resort. An air of comeraderie will be prevelent as we enjoy the sun and the fun during the Northern Michigan days. Although at night, the real fun begins. Having announced MANY events here in Michigan, one thing I have learned is the Michigan MMA scene knows how to throw an after party! So you can only imagine the parties we have to look forward to as we all come together this weekend!! OFF THE HOOK! Be apart of the dinner banquet as we recognize the best of the best in all catagoies in Michigan MMA. Good food, good freinds, good times. Get behind this historic event for ALL THE RIGHT REASONS people. Donate your time and resorces, bring your families and friends, lets come together as ONE! One cohesive group moving Michigan MMA forward into a very bright future!

On August 29th a group of Michigan MMA promoters will come together and host the innaugural Michigan MMA Awards. The event will highlight the hard work and dedication of the Michigan MMA Community.

FightMichigan.com will be the official internet news source as we run up to the show. Please keep checking back for more information over time.

The voters have all returned their information and the ballots have been cast. Now it is time for the staff to plan the show and to count the votes as to who will be named in each category. This years awards include:

“Fighter of the Year” all weight classes

“Lady Fighter of the Year”

“Pros of the Year”….awarded to top 3

“Coach of the Year”

“Club of the Year”

“Team of the Year”

“Promoter of theYear”

“Promotion of the Year”

“Best Fighter of the Year”…this is an overall winner from all classes

“Lifetime Achievement Award”

“Media Person of the Year”

“Behind the Scenes Award”…recognizing a non athlete who has supported mma unconditionally throughout the year

For hotel reservations please contact the host hotels: The Sands Resort 231-775-2407 and MacGuire’s Resort 231-775-9947

For tickets and event questions please contact mmaawards@yahoo.com

weekend Events:

Softball Game

Golf Scramble $50 per person or $400 per team

Additional Dinner Tickets $25
8/2/09 3:32 PM
BadBradBurrick

Lets see a list of the nominees for each category!
8/2/09 3:40 PM
jokerman13922

i would like know who is being nominated for each category also!
8/2/09 5:09 PM
TheVoice

Our Michigan "MMA Academy of Voters" represent all of you. These are individuals who have been selected throughout the state to objectively determine based on their own insights and the many suggestions you have given the awards over the last weeks.

Initially we had 25 voters but as we mentioned in previous blogs we would continue to grow that list to ensure full mma community representation and we did!! We have added almost double that amount...these voters consist of promoters, media persons, mma personalities, matchmakers, mma professionals and others with objective insights in selecting the nominees for this years awards. Through our efforts to identify these individuals we are confident that everyone within the MMA community will be represented in this process across the state.

Over the next few days these individuals are being notified through emails and other means on the voting process. They are being given a list of the awards to be voted on and are being asked to give their top 5 selctions in each category. We will tabulate all the votes to determine the top 3 selections overall. After which we will release these top 3 nominees to you! The voters then will be asked to vote on these top 3 to determine this years award winners which will not be released until the awards banquet on August 29th.
8/3/09 8:16 AM
BadBradBurrick

TheVoice - Our Michigan "MMA Academy of Voters" represent all of you. These are individuals who have been selected throughout the state to objectively determine based on their own insights and the many suggestions you have given the awards over the last weeks.

Initially we had 25 voters but as we mentioned in previous blogs we would continue to grow that list to ensure full mma community representation and we did!! We have added almost double that amount...these voters consist of promoters, media persons, mma personalities, matchmakers, mma professionals and others with objective insights in selecting the nominees for this years awards. Through our efforts to identify these individuals we are confident that everyone within the MMA community will be represented in this process across the state.

Over the next few days these individuals are being notified through emails and other means on the voting process. They are being given a list of the awards to be voted on and are being asked to give their top 5 selctions in each category. We will tabulate all the votes to determine the top 3 selections overall. After which we will release these top 3 nominees to you! The voters then will be asked to vote on these top 3 to determine this years award winners which will not be released until the awards banquet on August 29th.
I'm just not going to bother drive up there if I don't see any names.

8/3/09 8:39 AM
TheVoice

Edited: 08/03/09 8:39 AM
The names will be released today Brad. Like it says in the message, the individuals will be notified and names will be released after the nomonations are recieved. From what I understand they were being tabulated yesterday. You are a great representitve of Michigan MMA Brad and I personally would love to see you in attendance. You have done much to elevate the sport in the state, dont think that hasnt gone un-noticed. Look for the list to be relased soon.
8/3/09 10:06 AM
jokerman13922

TheVoice - The names will be released today Brad. Like it says in the message, the individuals will be notified and names will be released after the nomonations are recieved. From what I understand they were being tabulated yesterday. You are a great representitve of Michigan MMA Brad and I personally would love to see you in attendance. You have done much to elevate the sport in the state, dont think that hasnt gone un-noticed. Look for the list to be relased soon.

not to mention he now holds the kotc middlewight title!!! i hope this is not a one sided voting and i hope it dont just favor guys from big gyms, like mash or any other large gym. a good fighter is a good fighter no matter where he trains and i hope the voting is not based on how big the gym name is!!!
8/3/09 4:37 PM
TrainBJJ

Edited: 08/03/09 5:05 PM
ttt
8/3/09 5:07 PM
TheBean

Edited: 08/03/09 5:09 PM
ttt
8/4/09 7:57 AM
BadBradBurrick

TheVoice - The names will be released today Brad. Like it says in the message, the individuals will be notified and names will be released after the nomonations are recieved. From what I understand they were being tabulated yesterday. You are a great representitve of Michigan MMA Brad and I personally would love to see you in attendance. You have done much to elevate the sport in the state, dont think that hasnt gone un-noticed. Look for the list to be relased soon.

I'm not trying to knock this event at all.  I actually think this good idea and would enjoy coming up for a few beers.  I don't care if I win anything that is not my point of asking who the names are.  The reason I've been asking the names is to see if this event will just fall victim to politics before I spend my money and time on it.  I really hope that is not the case and that is why I'm asking.  For now I'll wait patiently.
8/4/09 11:52 AM
TrainBJJ

Edited: 08/04/09 12:01 PM
Why is there a fighter at superheavyweight, that fought an amatuer (with only one fight) of mine two weeks ago in a small amatuer show..Nominated for fighter of the year, and DAN SEVERN ISNT ON THE LIST???

I did not vote, I put it off and never got to it, and now I wish I had..That is ridiculous...Dan was 6-2 pro NATIONALLY this last 12 months...at 52. A couple of the dudes nominated dont even have winning records and fight in hotel ballrooms for free..

I dont think this got much outside your own social network...(i.e. promotions you work for, gyms that fight for the promotions you work for, etc)..I know that wasnt intentional and you'll keep improving, but wow!! 
8/4/09 12:46 PM
BadBradBurrick

TrainBJJ - Why is there a fighter at superheavyweight, that fought an amatuer (with only one fight) of mine two weeks ago in a small amatuer show..Nominated for fighter of the year, and DAN SEVERN ISNT ON THE LIST???

I did not vote, I put it off and never got to it, and now I wish I had..That is ridiculous...Dan was 6-2 pro NATIONALLY this last 12 months...at 52. A couple of the dudes nominated dont even have winning records and fight in hotel ballrooms for free..

I dont think this got much outside your own social network...(i.e. promotions you work for, gyms that fight for the promotions you work for, etc)..I know that wasnt intentional and you'll keep improving, but wow!! 
 What list are you talking about Q?  Did you get sent a list to vote or something?

8/4/09 2:02 PM
TrainBJJ

Edited: 08/04/09 2:04 PM
Yes..But not a list persay (unless he sent something back out to others)..What he sent me was a fill in the blank ballot with top 5 slots in each category....Phil sent it to me on July 13th (by my records) but I didn't get to it..By the time I could have, I had forgotten and was onto other projects..It could be said people like me (who were chosen to vote and didnt) are to blame for who was or wasnt nominated and for what..pending the ballots were counted fairly..

I will make sure to respond asap next year..

Phil is a great guy from all I have seen and know of him..This isnt a diss to him or the MMMAA....Just my thoughts..I should have voted and I think when Phil pulls this one off, people will be more inclined to vote next year and make it a much more realistic MMMAA. 
8/5/09 2:13 PM
Angelo Popofski
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, weird that we didn't get any voting info. And I don't think it would've turned into a "vote-for-my-team-or-promotion" thing. Actually, I would've voted Brad Burrick fighter of the year. He deserves it.

He's still a homo :)
8/5/09 3:27 PM
BadBradBurrick

Angelo Popofski - yeah, weird that we didn't get any voting info. And I don't think it would've turned into a "vote-for-my-team-or-promotion" thing. Actually, I would've voted Brad Burrick fighter of the year. He deserves it.

He's still a homo :)

I would have voted Angelo informer of the year because he tells me when I'm fighting before I even know.
8/5/09 9:10 PM
Angelo Popofski
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol!! I should ask for my 40% agent fee from Brad.
8/5/09 9:34 PM
Brandon TheSissy Gallo

did i get nominated for biggest star wars collection
8/8/09 8:56 PM
lenox01

yo phil are u guys gonna post the finalists or anything on here? i cant make it but am curious of finalists and winners
8/11/09 4:33 PM
TheVoice

Yeah we will deff post it. Although responce has been sporatic at best. We are going to make a push to generate more interest this week but by the end of the week the latest if we havent doubled the interested parties we are going to delay or cancel unfortunaly. We began this mearly as a vehicle to elevate those involved in MiMMA. To be honest althought we began the process months in advance no one really took it seriously. It is just Joe Jenega and I with some other assistance trying to do something good for the scene but it has gotten a little disheartening. I do know alot of people involved in MiMMA although not ALL so some peeps got a little twisted about not either being asked to nominate or being nominated themselves, but we expected that reaction. So like I said, one final push and we will see what happens. It might end up with Joe and I having dinner and a beer and crowing ourselved KINGS OF MICHIGAN MMA!!! I mean we DO have trophies. LMFAO

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.