UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bought another new guitar

8/1/09 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rd one this summer. See the kind of trouble you can get into without an ol` lady.. This one is a Alverez MD80. Solid wood guitar for $300.00!! I didn`t have a "beater" and think this one will fill the void.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALV-MD80?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CKSQyKHCg5wCFRu3sgod5EfX-g
8/3/09 1:41 PM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guitar Aquisition Syndrome,or G.A.S., is a common affliction among those of us who enjoy pickin' a tune. The good news is that it is a fairly benign disease, and with regular treatments can be lived with. The other good news is that the treatment is BUYING MORE GUITARS. ;)

Dr.Rex, physician/luthier specializing in the treatment of G.A.S.

Don't worry, you're among friends. Hope you enjoy your new find.
8/3/09 3:38 PM
DonkeyKick215
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the lesser known electric guitar gems I describe a recent score
8/4/09 11:40 PM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All solid wood for $300?  Nice.
8/5/09 12:26 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G.A.S. is correct! Next victim will be a Telecaster of some sort. I think I`m going to trade my Gibson off. The bridge has come up along with the frets worn to a nub.. I just can`t bring myself to put a bunch of money into it.
8/6/09 1:21 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Second half features playing you would expect out of a tele.
8/11/09 12:08 PM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/09 12:07 PM
Hillbilly - G.A.S. is correct! Next victim will be a Telecaster of some sort. I think I`m going to trade my Gibson off. The bridge has come up along with the frets worn to a nub.. I just can`t bring myself to put a bunch of money into it.

I have a Deluxe Ash Tele with a Symour Duncan '59 PAF in the neck, Dimarzio air in the bridge, a Glendale Bridge and Callaham compensated brass saddles.  Only problem is that since I got that guitar I've played almost entirely fingerstyle acoustic.

However, I fixed that problem by buying a Martin 000-28EC on Ebay yesterday (risky, but I can always re-sell). 

I know all about GAS.  ;)

8/16/09 12:02 PM
Hillbilly

John5 Playing a Squire? I`ve heard the CV squires were pretty nice.

I`ll probably just get a MM tele. The price is right and the ones I`ve played are decent.
8/16/09 9:15 PM
whaledog

Edited: 08/16/09 9:17 PM
Hillbilly - John5 Playing a Squire? I`ve heard the CV squires were pretty nice.

I`ll probably just get a MM tele. The price is right and the ones I`ve played are decent.

He may have played the Squire, but I would be surprised if he plays it much.   His custom-shop Tele prototype was his favorite at one point.

8/18/09 2:10 PM
Hillbilly

"However, I fixed that problem by buying a Martin 000-28EC on Ebay yesterday (risky, but I can always re-sell)."

WOW!! Have you received it yet? How is it? I`ve got a terrible case of gas for a 000 or an OM.
8/18/09 2:36 PM
whaledog

Edited: 08/18/09 6:09 PM
Hillbilly - "However, I fixed that problem by buying a Martin 000-28EC on Ebay yesterday (risky, but I can always re-sell)."

WOW!! Have you received it yet? How is it? I`ve got a terrible case of gas for a 000 or an OM.

I got it, and it's real nice.  Virtually mint.  It also has an iBeam w/ iMix pickup system (which I haven't tried out yet), a Bob Colosi ivory saddle and bone bridge pins.   The sound is sweet and beautiful - much more balanced than my Blueridge Dreadnought.

The only question for me is the vintage V-shaped neck.  I loved it when I played 000-28ECs in stores.  But, now that I've spent more time with the guitar, I find that (combined with the 1 3/4 nut) it can be tough to fret all six strings when I make a movable "F" shaped chord using my thumb on the low E. It's a minor point, I know. I'm giving it plenty more time before I decide whether that's actually an issue for me.  Currently, I only play one song where I use that full shape.

Also, the guitar was shipped with medium guage strings on it, and I am used to light.  So while I expected the strings to be 'loose' because of the short scale, they actually fell a little 'tight.'  But, again, I'm going to play it for a while like this before I decide whether to change to light.  I've read a bunch of people claim that medium sounds better.  Do you have an opinion on medium vs. light strings?

Here's the guitar:

8/19/09 2:06 AM
Hillbilly

stunning! ooo`s are 14 fret to the body and OM`s are short scale (12 frets to the body) or so I thought..I would put light strings on it especially for fingerpickin`. I use heavier strings for playing bluegrass and rhythm, but on that guitar I would probably put the lightest string I could get away with without buzzing or feeling like rubber bands, but thats just me.. I`m sure time will tell you which string works best for you. Congrats!
8/19/09 3:58 AM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"stunning! ooo`s are 14 fret to the body and OM`s are short scale (12 frets to the body) or so I thought"

Scale length and number of frets,total or clear of the body, are two different things. Two guitars can have the same scale length and one have 12 frets clear and the other 14. Think of the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle as the scale length (25.5 or thereabouts on most acoustics). When you move the fingerboard into the body so that the 12th fret aligns with the edge, it moves the bridge an inch or so further back. This relocation of the bridge accounts for much of the difference in tone between 12 fret and fourteen fret guitars.  The bridge is driving the top from a very different place, and it creates a change in tone because of that.
8/19/09 11:44 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! Amazing guitar.
8/19/09 12:06 PM
whaledog

Edited: 08/21/09 6:24 PM
Ponyboy - Wow! Amazing guitar.

Hillbilly - stunning! ooo`s are 14 fret to the body and OM`s are short scale (12 frets to the body) or so I thought..I would put light strings on it especially for fingerpickin`. I use heavier strings for playing bluegrass and rhythm, but on that guitar I would probably put the lightest string I could get away with without buzzing or feeling like rubber bands, but thats just me.. I`m sure time will tell you which string works best for you. Congrats!

Thanks!  I actually made the guy an offer that I didn't think he'd accept.  Then, when he did, I had to explain to my wife that we had just bought a new guitar.  lol.

I think I'll try light stings next (it's what I already have in the house, anyway).

000s and OMs are VERY similar.  Here's something I found on the Acoustic Guitar Forum describing the differences between Martin OMs and 000s:

000 vs. OM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since this seems to be a recurring topic, here is a quick analysis of the differences between the Martin 000 and OM models under current production.

Nut Width (includes wider neck and bridge spacing):

OM. All OMs have a 1 3/4" nut width (except the new John Meyer OM, which is 1 11/16" and the Paul Simon models).

12-fret 000. All 12-fret 000s have a 1 3/4 nut width or greater (000-28VS).

14-fret 000.
a. All 000s in the Standard Series and below are 1 11/16" except for the 000-42, which has a 1 3/4" nut.
b. All 000s in the Vintage Series are 1 3/4" or greater.
c. 000s in the Limited and Special editions vary by model, but most are 1 3/4".

Scale Length:

OM. All OMs are long scale, 25.4" nut to saddle.

12-fret 000. All 12-fret 000s are long scale except for the Norman Blake models, which are short scale. These models are an exception to the rule, perhaps because they combine a 12-fret neck with a 14-fret 000 size body and are thus one-of-a-kind design models.

14-fret 000:
a. All 000s in the 16 Series and below are long scale.
b. All 000s in the Standard and Vintage Series are short scale, 24.9" nut to saddle.
c. 000s in the Limited and Special Editions vary by model. Most, but not all, are short scale.

Bracing:

16 Series and below: All 14-fret 16 Series and below OMs and 000s have identical bracing by comparable model, i.e., 000-15 vs OM-15. 12-fret 000s have their own bracing pattern.

OM. All OMs in the Standard Series and above are 1/4" scalloped, not forward shifted.

12-fret 000. All are scalloped, not forward shifted, bracing (not possible on that body size).

14-fret 000.

a. Standard Series are 5/16" non scalloped except for the 000-42, which is 5/16" scalloped. The 000-28H is no longer listed but was 5/16" scalloped.
b. Vintage Series: 5/16" scalloped. The 000-28EC is not forward shifted. I believe that the 000-18WG is forward shifted, but it is no longer listed.
c. Limited Editions: Varies by model.
d. Special Editions: Varies by model.

Pickguard:

OM. All OMs have the small “teardrop” pickguard.

000. All currently produced 12 and 14-fret 000s that have a pickguard have the large size (except the new Martin Carthy 000-18, which has the teardrop).

Body Size (inches):

OM and 14-fret 000.
Body Length: 19 3/8
Upper Bout: 11 1/4
Lower Bout: 15
Upper Depth: 3 11/32
Lower Depth: 4 1/8

12-fret 000.
Body Length: 20 7/16
Upper Bout: 10 3/4
Lower Bout: 15
Upper Depth: 3 1/4
Lower Depth: 4 1/16

Headstock:

12-fret 000: Most are slotted headstock, but a few (Jimmy Buffett) are solid headstock
14-fret 000: All are solid headstock
OM: All are solid headstock

8/19/09 12:17 PM
Racer X

"Scale Length:

OM. All OMs are long scale, 25.4" nut to saddle.

12-fret 000. All 12-fret 000s are long scale except for the Norman Blake models, which are short scale. These models are an exception to the rule, perhaps because they combine a 12-fret neck with a 14-fret 000 size body and are thus one-of-a-kind design models.

14-fret 000:
a. All 000s in the 16 Series and below are long scale.
b. All 000s in the Standard and Vintage Series are short scale, 24.9" nut to saddle.
c. 000s in the Limited and Special Editions vary by model. Most, but not all, are short scale."

Thank you. This illustrates just what I'm saying.
8/19/09 1:36 PM
Hillbilly

Great info thanks!
8/21/09 6:09 PM
Hillbilly

One of my bandmates went to the American School of Luthiers in MN and explained "boookmatching" to me today. Makes me realize I don`t know shit about building guitars after almost 40 years of playing them. Well at least now I know what "short scale" and "bookmatch" means. lol
8/21/09 8:41 PM
Ponyboy

I always wanted to do a flying V with zebra figured maple that was bookmatched but intersected such that the grain ran down the wings.
8/21/09 11:58 PM
Iron Man
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whaledog

sweet guitar!!! when are we getting together to jam. i am going to start pete's class again in sept.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.