UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Are non-sanctioned fights legal, or illegal?

8/2/09 2:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
B Mcallister
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm talking about the typical "back yard" organized fight.. not the "I'm gonna whoop your fuckin ass in the street" kind of fight. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

There's a ton of footage on youtube where two buddies (or maybe not so much) are doing MMA style of fighting on their property.

It just sort of got me thinking.. by law, is this legal to do? Or is this considered unlawful and another form of assault?

It might sound like a stupid question, but I'm honestly not sure how it works.

The type of fight that Sean Gannon and Kimbo fought in. If prosecutor's wanted, could they have filed charges?

I'm talking about strictly one on one, private property, with no money involved for a winner, and no one charging for admission.

Even if it were legal, I'm sure if someone gets injured and pissed, they could still file a civil suit, which, in my opinion, makes it not worth it all together.
8/2/09 2:33 AM
TheClips

I believe it is technically illegal for friends to get together and fight, although truly organized non-sanctioned fights are legal, I believe.

I think the line is drawn when the fights aren't being organized by an actual business (although to be 100% honest, I'm not sure of this shit at all, but hey, it sounds good, lol!)
8/2/09 12:28 PM
B Mcallister

ttt
8/2/09 12:33 PM
B Mcallister

DravenTyler - I think if the fight/event happens in a state that is sanctioned, it HAS to be sanctioned for it to be legal.

If it's in an unsanctioned state, I think it comes down to the laws... some states have laws specifically against it, where others don't have laws covering it at all.

As for backyard mutual ass whoopings... as long as you consider it training or sparring, you are good to go.

But in a non sanctioned fight, you're always liable for civil damages, if the "damaged" person decides to sue, correct?

How are gyms exempt from this? Say you injure your training partner. You're not liable in a civil suit, but you are in your own backyard? Because the gym is insured?
8/2/09 12:53 PM
Unseen
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on the state and what you mean by non-sanctioned. Fights on Indian reservations are non-sanctioned but are also legal due to states not having jurisdiction over reservations. KOTC has had almost all of its fights like this.
8/2/09 1:02 PM
B Mcallister

Unseen - Depends on the state and what you mean by non-sanctioned. Fights on Indian reservations are non-sanctioned but are also legal due to states not having jurisdiction over reservations. KOTC has had almost all of its fights like this.

The type of fight I mean, is the typical "Kimbo style" backyard fighting. Not necessarily boxing rules, but it could be wrestling, MMA, etc.

A fight between two competitors that takes place in the privacy of ones backyard. The type of stuff that is all over youtube.

I know it's a different story if money is involved though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.