UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Degree in Biology

8/2/09 7:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bakalol
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im starting out on getting a BS degree in biology, mainly to transfer to a good school of pharmacy later on. But now im getting second thoughts. What good jobs are there for a BS degree in biology?
8/11/09 10:26 AM
supersaiyan

i am getting ready to take interest in BioTechnology my self....to be honest there isnt really anything u CANT do with that degree ...its an open field with TOO Many areas to even cover its ridiculous

genetics

cyto technology

clinical lab

microbioligist

DNA tech

crime lab

forensics pathology

veterinarian

nanotechnology

pharmaceuticals

food science industry

pesticides

medical fields and etc

i been doing a littel research on the subjects myself and getting ideas n all :)
8/11/09 10:27 AM
supersaiyan

Agricultural and Food Science Technicians
Biochemists and Biophysicists
Biological Technicians
Biomedical Engineers
Chemical Engineers
Chemical Technicians
Chemists
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
Medical Equipment Preparers
Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
Microbiologists
Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
Veterinarians
Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers
Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
8/11/09 10:28 AM
supersaiyan

Scientific Research/Engineering
Biological Scientists
Chemical Equipment Controllers and Operators
Chemical Plant and System Operators
Computer & Information Systems Managers
8/11/09 10:46 AM
supersaiyan

http://degreedirectory.org/articles/What_are_Entry-Level_Jobs_for_Graduates_with_Biology_Majors.html

this more streamlined for Biology Major but iam sure there can be crossovers to BioTech as well  :)_
8/11/09 10:11 PM
alley
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in your shoes 15 years ago. I did a biology degree, concentration in biotechnology. The jobs you get at the BS level are mostly crap. Low level lab tech work - washing pipettes and pouring gels (sarcasm, but not far off).

A very high percentage of bio graduates go on to do a PhD, since there is little good work at the BS level. And pursuing a PhD is a very tough road - low pay for a long time, slave labour for your advisor (both during your PhD and in the postdoc phase), followed by surprisingly low pay at the entry level (even though by this time you're in your 30s and highly educated). Don't do it unless you LOVE biology.

I totally switched gears, went to law school, and worked as a patent lawyer for about 5 years. It was a good choice, allowed me to live in NYC and SF, but very tough work. I now work as a government lawyer on patent and medical regulatory issues.

Pharmacy is a good choice. Surprisingly versatile.
8/11/09 10:20 PM
supersaiyan

allley i appreciate your input and experience... would u say in todays world that the applicable aspect of biotech is more vast in the field and better than back then? i actually would like to use the degree to get into Forensics Pathology or (related area) or medical as in nuclear medicine.

what say you ?
8/12/09 10:38 PM
alley
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been out of the lab for a long time, so take what i say about science with a grain of salt. That said, even 15 years ago, everyone in every bio-related field was using molecular bio tools and techniques for their studies. Even then, biotech was so much more powerful than classical bio techniques. It was more than just "the next big thing". It had "arrived". So I'm not sure the vastness of the applicability has changed much.

It's powerful science, and what can be done is fascinating. My beef with it was the job market. Maybe I'm greedy, but I thought the hours were too long and the pay too little, from what I saw at the time. I doubt that's changed. Scientists just don't get enough respect, imo.

If you do a job like forensic pathology, you've picked a narrow field. Not a lot of room to change or evolve. That's great if you end up liking the field. But if you don't, it's tough to move. On the other hand, a field like pharmacy is way more versatile. So much money is on the line in pharma, that people who understand pharma are wanted for all sorts of things. You can combine pharmacy with an MBA, or simply do sales, or get involved with regulatory matters.

But it all depends what you want from a job, what you want from life...
8/13/09 12:01 AM
bakalol

Reason i went bio was because AP biology was the only class i enjoyed in high school so i just went with it.

I'll go pharmacy for now and see where i am in a year or two.
8/13/09 10:26 AM
supersaiyan

hey alley..i dont think i REALLY want be interacting with cadavers n such nor running to crime scenes to investigate events in GOD KNOWS WHERE LOL
nor do i want to be on call and having zombie-like manifestations of myself.

if i was to be more precise in the area and field iwould be interested DNA analysis/crime lab ..at least with that particular line its medical/science . i am glad u let me know of the versatality input and i would want to have that option to move shouldi have interest else where. I wouldnt even mind doing drug/alcohol testing.

funny u mention about pharmacy as i from time to another seem to get that is a great paying job n all but the hours and dullness is the main plm. what would u say on this ?
8/13/09 10:28 AM
supersaiyan

bakalol - Reason i went bio was because AP biology was the only class i enjoyed in high school so i just went with it.

I'll go pharmacy for now and see where i am in a year or two.

check out some areas and research the fields of interest to better assess your liking in biology . aside from enjoying it in class and all have u really given in a good look through yet?
8/13/09 4:51 PM
alley

Yeah, I think working as an actual pharmacist in a pharmacy would be as dull as watching paint dry. It seems that you basically count out pills - 1,2,3,4,5. But you usually work with hot chicks!

I only mention pharmacy since the OP asked about it, and since it is a perfect example of a pure science where there are tons of non-science jobs, and where just a BS can get you decent jobs. It's such a regulated field, and there is so much money at stake, that you can use it as a springboard into more specialized jobs in sales or regulatory issues or legal or whatever. Hence, if you get bored of the pure science work (or of counting pills and boinking your hot coworkers), you have options to switch to all these other fields, which isn't often the case in other areas of pure bioscience.
8/13/09 8:56 PM
supersaiyan

lol....lemme guess u are in pharmacy field for the above stated reasons right?!! LOL

lemme ask you...i were to apply to a pharmacy positionwith the BIoTech Degree...would they look at me like i was a seriously retard..or ?? i would think n gather they would ask me with all due respect ..

" sir after having obtained a 4 year degree do you honestly feel compelled with your knowledge of science that you can best benefit mankind/society by counting pills??!
8/13/09 11:56 PM
bakalol

Edited: 08/14/09 9:07 AM
Yeah i agree working in a pharmacy is pretty boring, but it pays well. The school where i go to, there's an entire club devoted to pharmacists and has a lot of intern opportunities.Degree in bio is probably the most versatile science related degree out there.....
8/14/09 1:46 AM
supersaiyan

ok ... but for pharmacist do they require bachelors?

oh btw...are the "interns" HOT TAMALES or GoldenGirls tho ?
8/14/09 9:09 AM
bakalol

to get into a pharmacy school you need to take a PCAT, and technically i can transfer into one before i even finish my 4 years. but then i'd have to have a pretty neat resume and a pretty high score

and i think the interns are like pretty nerdy girls, so far all the ones ive seen were indian
8/14/09 9:47 AM
supersaiyan

ahhh i see i see... what is PCAT? some pharmacology exam ?
8/14/09 11:13 AM
alley

Yes, they would look at you like a retard if you applied for a job as a pharmacist with your biotech degree. But not for the reasons that you think...

With a biotech degree, you're not qualified to be a pharmacist. Biotech teaches you how to sequence DNA, work with PCR, run gels and blots, RFLP analysis, gene amplification, etc. None of that qualifies you for the work of a pharmacist. You need to learn about drug interactions, dosages, and whatever else they know. If someone wanted to do that, then they shouldn't waste their time with biotech. It's a different field.
8/14/09 1:06 PM
supersaiyan

once again appreciate your insight and expertise on the subject man... i figured withthe pharamcuetical aspect that there would be some relevance of crossover between the two especially within the chemistry.

basicallhy what it seems is biotech is more pro of the drugs and pharmacy is more the "pre" aspect of drugs so to speak

btw way i was searching around and see the pharamacist position position is pretty lucrative for entry level...pretty much all across the board minimum at the door pay is 70,000..average is 80,000+... pretty damn nice.
9/6/09 4:29 AM
gregbrady
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supersaiyan - once again appreciate your insight and expertise on the subject man... i figured withthe pharamcuetical aspect that there would be some relevance of crossover between the two especially within the chemistry.

basicallhy what it seems is biotech is more pro of the drugs and pharmacy is more the "pre" aspect of drugs so to speak

btw way i was searching around and see the pharamacist position position is pretty lucrative for entry level...pretty much all across the board minimum at the door pay is 70,000..average is 80,000+... pretty damn nice.

To get into Pharmacy school you pretty much need to take the hardest Chemistry classes your university offers and get mostly A's in them. Biology classes are in the prerequisites but are probably the easiest classes out of all of your prerequisites. I'm taking my pre-req's to get into Pharmacy school now.
9/6/09 9:16 AM
microbiologynerd
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as mentioned above- you need to decide/narrow what you want to do. alot of the required coursework for biology degrees such as evolution/ecology/botany you'll likely never use in a practical lab setting in the working world. the best advice i ever got while doing microbio is to take as many courses with hands on lab/analytical techniques as possible so that you can produce from day 1 on the job. the trick to this approach is to not only be able to be adept at techniques in the lab, but to unnastan and explain WHY you're doing it, interpret the results, and design the next logical experiment
9/6/09 10:08 AM
supersaiyan

wow damm ...pharamacist DEF not for me tho lol! but applaud ANYONE who does this ...and am being honest about that for real.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.