UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> George Sotiropoulos on UFC101

8/3/09 7:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crazydave
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

George Sotiropoulos Vs. George Roop (Guy from TUF8?)

Go George!
8/3/09 8:09 AM
Cedar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to it :D
8/5/09 7:57 AM
Stewie

All the best George.
8/7/09 9:21 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kick his arse G1!
8/7/09 6:22 PM
XFC

Xtreme Fighting Championship
155 baby!!!!!!!!!
8/8/09 11:49 PM
crazydave
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

George Sotiropoulos vs. George Roop
Round 1
Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Sotiropoulos taps Roop.
Marc Goddard is the ref for this one. Roop paws a jab. He throws a one-two that doesn’t land. Roop comes in for a kick and Sotiropoulos dumps him and takes side control. Sotiropoulos mounts Roop quickly. 1:30 into the round. Roop rolls Sotiropoulos and escapes. On the feet, Roop defends a double-leg. Sotiropoulos misses a spinning back kick but hurts Rooper with a right straight. The fighters tie up against the cage. 3:00 in. Sotiropoulos uses a body lock to ground his opponent. On the mat, Sotiropoulos quickly passes half guard to side and then north-south. Sotiropoulos goes to side again and then takes Roop’s back with both hooks. He’s too high and tries to switch to an armbar, but Roop escapes. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 Sotiropoulos.

Round 2
Sotiropoulos takes the center of the cage. Roop jumps forward with a knee that doesn’t connect. Sotiropoulos catches his leg and throws him down and mounts immediately. 1:00 into the round. Sotiropoulos sits up and starts punching. He scores some but loses mount. Roop leaves his guard open and Sotiropoulos slides through it again easily. This time Sotiropoulos grabs a kimura from side control, steps over the head and cranks it for the tap at 1:59.

Sotiropoulos: "There's no such thing as ring rust if you're sharpening your tools every day. I know I was better than him on the ground. He was strong in the first round, but he started to show signs of wear and tear."

Sotiropoulos on the finish: "He was good at defending his arms, but he spent a lot of energy defending it."
8/9/09 2:18 AM
Cedar

WOOOOOO!!!
10th Planet for the win! :]
8/9/09 3:44 AM
dojo stormer

i'm pretty sure that's sarcasm coming from cedar.
8/9/09 3:56 AM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

have a look at the back of the george's shorts, 10th planet logo on the bottom of the right leg;) i think youll find cedar was being serious.
8/9/09 3:59 AM
Cedar

Mr Dooley - have a look at the back of the george's shorts, 10th planet logo on the bottom of the right leg;) i think youll find cedar was being serious.

*serious face*
8/9/09 4:37 AM
lach

I called the kimura from the start.... having been kimura'd by George about 1000 times before from north/south i was pretty confident he had it. Good news is I dont think ive been caught in one since George went O/S.

I think his kimura skills pre-date his training with Eddie ;)

Really happy for George, trains hard and obviously gets the results.

All the best in the future if you are reading!
8/9/09 6:16 AM
supa10pjjMelb

Wonder why Geroge Sotiropoulos dominated on the ground, couldn't have been anything todo with the 10thplanet logo on his shorts or his "tricks".
8/9/09 6:53 AM
PatricK23

from memory when i watched the match... i didnt see george use any of the 10th planet system moves..

looked like just pure bjj..from his guard passes and side control transitions...
8/9/09 6:55 AM
AlexGilmour

supa10pjjMelb - Wonder why Geroge Sotiropoulos dominated on the ground, couldn't have been anything todo with the 10thplanet logo on his shorts or his "tricks".

Sorry to burst your bubble but George already had a BB in BJJ before he trained at 10th Planet
8/9/09 7:05 AM
Cedar

No one said otherwise, Alex.

Patrick, from memory I'm pretty sure George was using his rubberguard to break Roop down. Correct me if I'm wrong boys, but I'm also pretty sure he held him in Crackhead as well?

Regardless, was an awesome fight. Mad props to Sotiropoulos for a great fight and finish!
8/9/09 7:09 AM
PatricK23

maybe i cant remember... but i thought it was his basic jiu jitsu that won him that fight

nothing fancy
8/9/09 1:48 PM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

regardless, always good to see an aussie win in the UFC. he combined BJJ and 10th planet beautifully
8/9/09 10:12 PM
RobMcKenzie

supa10pjjMelb and other 10th planet members,

I am a big fan of eddy bravo and his techniques, however 10th planet and eddie have often come under fire from the bjj community for 'rubbing rubberguard techniques in your face' so to speak.

Comments like "Wonder why Geroge Sotiropoulos dominated on the ground, couldn't have been anything todo with the 10thplanet logo on his shorts or his "tricks"

are just asking for people to hate on you.

George won the fight because of his greatly improved standup, and domination on the ground. He did have some excellent passing, but i'm pretty sure that pass has been around before 10th planet.

And his rubber guard lasted about 10 seconds before it was easily broken open.

Please don't continue to forcefeed 10th planet propaganda down our throats.

Leave it as it is, an interesting style of jiujitsu that can be ADDED to ones game to better their overall bjj ability.
8/10/09 12:48 AM
byron2001

LOL @ anyone thinking his kimura finish had anything to do with 10th planet...

He's been kiumara'ing people from front control since before you knew what the guard was.

Awesome job George
8/11/09 9:36 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As soon as it hit the ground I said that it would finish with kimura. George owns it.
8/11/09 10:01 PM
Mr Dooley

he splits his time between xtreme couture in vegas and 10th planet in LA.

agree moving from serra has sent him to another level
8/12/09 10:27 AM
AvAMajestic

As Byron and Ben have said, if you knew fuck all about jiu jitsu in australia, you'd know that george was repeatedly nailing people with kimura from north south when he was competing as a purple belt (and probably before that).

Like Ben, as soon as he went to north-south I called that he'd finish the fight by kimura, it's his absolute staple.

Great fight by George, looked beautiful on the ground.
8/13/09 11:21 AM
bigD13B
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a great fight! Man his passes were nice! Constant pressure on the ground.
8/14/09 12:02 AM
freestyle_judo

Well done! Does that make him the second Aussie to get a win in the UFC?
8/14/09 7:40 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

RobMcKenzie - supa10pjjMelb and other 10th planet members,

I am a big fan of eddy bravo and his techniques, however 10th planet and eddie have often come under fire from the bjj community for 'rubbing rubberguard techniques in your face' so to speak.

Comments like "Wonder why Geroge Sotiropoulos dominated on the ground, couldn't have been anything todo with the 10thplanet logo on his shorts or his "tricks"

are just asking for people to hate on you.

George won the fight because of his greatly improved standup, and domination on the ground. He did have some excellent passing, but i'm pretty sure that pass has been around before 10th planet.

And his rubber guard lasted about 10 seconds before it was easily broken open.

Please don't continue to forcefeed 10th planet propaganda down our throats.

Leave it as it is, an interesting style of jiujitsu that can be ADDED to ones game to better their overall bjj ability.

Hi Rob,
Late response I know, fricken busy I tell you!!

Agreed, but cut the boy/s some slack, the entire 10th Planet JJ Melbourne group have been taking it up the ass for 3 weeks straight, so forgive the kid for getting a little excited to see George do so well utilizing aspects of the game, even if it is not of your opinion that he did use Eddie's tactics at all. Its all healthy competition and we are all better for it. We are not trying to force anything down anyone's throat mate. If you have the entire planet ( pardon the pun) against you, you kind of get a little excited when it turns the corner a little.

See you at the pan pacs??

Frank

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.