UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Akihiro Gono expected to make full recovery

8/3/09 11:48 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Akihiro Gono Expected to Make Full Recovery After Dan Hornbuckle KO Kick

Japanese MMA fighter Akihiro Gono is expected to make a complete recovery after suffering head and neck injuries when he was knocked out by a brutal head kick from Dan Hornbuckle Sunday.

Hornbuckle's kick was one of the MMA knockouts of the year, a kick that Hornbuckle set up perfectly by grabbing Gono's right foot, planting his own left foot and then driving his right shin into Gono's chin. Gono fell like a chopped down tree, with his neck landing on the rope and his head hitting the canvas.

Gono was taken out of the ring on a stretcher, and Tony Loiseleur of Sherdog reports that Gono was diagnosed with a concussion, possible brain hemorrhaging and damage to his neck. But he is reportedly conscious and alert, and he's expected to be released from the hospital within a day and to make a full recovery.

A well-known fighter in both Japan and North America whose last three fights were in the UFC, Gono fell to 29-15-7 with the loss. Hornbuckle, a native of Mahomet, Illinois who is not very well known outside hard-core MMA fans, improved to 18-2.

read full article,,.

8/3/09 11:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mad Xyientist
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news.  Scary KO for sure.
8/3/09 11:56 AM
TheClips
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm very happy for Dan Hornbuckle. He earned that fight and it's great for his career.

I'm also glad Gono will be ok. It was looking scary there for a second, but then again it seems that Japanese cameras stay on their downed fighters, whereas the American ones don't, possibly in an effort to not offend casual viewers with shots of unconscious or disoriented fighters.
8/3/09 11:58 AM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very glad he'll be ok. That was a nasty KO.
8/3/09 12:15 PM
dunchurrn
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony Loisleur -  Whoa. This is strange. I mean, I reported that Gono had a concussion, neck damage, and possible brain hemorrhaging, but that the hospital said he was alert and coherent, and that they would keep him overnight for observation.

I wake up this morning, and somehow, it has become "Gono will make a FULL RECOVERY!" on AOL MMA Fanhouse and BloodyElbow. I mean, I love BE and think MMA Fanhouse is cool and all, but I'm not sure where they got that extra information if they were just quoting me...

Alas, new media...
8/3/09 12:40 PM
Granpa
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy f*ckin sh*t that was nasty!
8/3/09 12:46 PM
Mr. Malcolm

possible brain hemorrhaging

yikes.
8/3/09 12:56 PM
Teh Ringworm
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet Hornbuckle is the person most relieved by this news.
8/3/09 12:59 PM
Elias Cepeda
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he does recover
Not for nothing but that win is huge for Hornbuckle
8/3/09 1:03 PM
eddiebell
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hornbuckle is a good dude, glad to see Gono is going to be alright.
8/3/09 1:12 PM
tourist
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird. I've trained with Hornbuckle before and I didn't know he was a successful pro. His elbows are very sharp.
8/3/09 1:17 PM
crazydave
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent news.
8/3/09 2:48 PM
brownchickenbrowncow

This is the same info that has been out for a little while now. I would definitely like some updated information.

UG News, why dont you get on that for me.
8/3/09 9:12 PM
fullcontactswansson

I was in the same gym as Hornbuckle a week before this fight. That guy is the total package with the chrisma to go far.
8/3/09 10:24 PM
Average Fan

Damn, I didn't know he was hurt that bad. I'm glad he's going to be okay.
8/3/09 10:27 PM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fukin awesome highlite reel win for Hornbuckle.  He represented strong.

Glad Gono is OK. 

That kick was like getting hit in head with a baseball bat.  One of best MMA finishes in years.
8/3/09 10:36 PM
jason hornbuckle

great kick

glad Gono is ok. he might want to take some time off to let his body heal
8/4/09 12:18 AM
The Sultan
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice counter to the kick gono attempted.  one of my faves.
8/4/09 12:21 AM
Ryan Thomas

Hornbuckle is a beast. I trained w him quite a bit for this fight and I am so proud of him. I knew it was only a matter of time until people realized what he is capable of. Its great to hear that Gono is going to be ok. That guys is a true warrior.
8/4/09 1:01 AM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he really did impress me ...  that counter  was great.
8/4/09 2:05 AM
FP101

Ouch. I love Gono as a fighter, hurts to see him get KO'd like that.

Congrats to Hornbuckle though, that was an awesome counter.
8/4/09 2:18 AM
Leghound
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jesus, good to hear he's OK. the sound on that KO when he hit the mat....wow
8/4/09 2:20 AM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, Gono was one of the better fighters at evading getting hit. I think this could be time for him to hang it up. Havent watched the whole fight but he's had a long career.

Hope he makes his decisions from here right.
8/4/09 2:21 AM
Chagrin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never really doubted that he'd be okay.. but fuck was it hard to actually FEEL that way when seeing him lying there. Great news.
8/4/09 4:06 AM
Kimura606
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im glad he is gonna be alright.  i wonder where thier careers go now?  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.