UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> New judo tournament Aug 12, Grand Rapids

8/5/09 8:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To all judoka, BJJ ers and grapplers intereted in competition at the state level. Jim Murray is hosting for the first time a local tournament on the west side of the state Aug 12 in Grand Rapids. ALl levels from kids, mens novice,mens intermediate and mens advanced, including Masters (over 30 and over 45). If intereted email me for a flyer. judoblackbelt@wowway.com.
8/6/09 11:56 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just saw this posted yesterday at the MSU dojo. I'm thinking about it, but I'm still recovering from an injury I picked up from the State Open. It'll also be the second week of school, so I'll likely have to pass.

Either way, I hope there's a good turnout and good luck to all the competitors. -ken
8/8/09 8:33 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have 2 competitors from our dojo on injured reserve and can't compete. Michigan judo has been impacted by the hug interest in mma/kickboxing/BJJ training. This seems to attract the younger fellas with wrestling backgrounds. So our tournaments can be an opportunity to tests your stand-up skills. Our tournaments though still are the best run events from all the support we receive from Michigan judo community.
8/9/09 6:11 AM
dom10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

been a while since we competed in judo. might be fun. prolly have a good amount of guys for ya.
8/9/09 10:46 AM
judoblackbelt

Thanks for your interest, it has been difficult in the past to get x-overs into judo to develope their grappling. A few years backs a BBJ school near 16 mi and Gratiot brought a group of guys and competed as white belts and had a very good experience with a minimum of 2 fights each. I see them occasionally at BJJ events and we talk about their experience. Quite different than BJJ. The x-over was challenging. It is all in the rules/training.
8/20/09 3:07 PM
judoblackbelt

Sorry for posting the wrong date. Local Judo tournament is Sept 12 in Grand Rapids. If interested email me judoblackbelt@wowway.com.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.