UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> CrossFit: Every Second Counts

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/7/09 1:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
damion
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

got a chance to see this documentary on the 2008 CrossFit games. not bad, I was hoping to see a litle more training footage and preparation for the games but instead you got some back ground stories on the guys they were following and then the footage from the events themselves. I know there are varying opinions of the whole CrossFit thing but these guys were impressive. It's always inspiring to see athletes pushing themsevles to thier limits. I think it would be cool to do a female vesion as this one was only the mens division.

On a funny side note Coach Glassman sounded like he had been knocking them back all day and his wife has huge stripper tits.
8/7/09 1:25 AM
damion
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/7/09 10:19 AM
paw
1802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*jealous*

I've been wanting to see this for a while.  IIRC, the same guys made a documentary entitle "Pulling Jon" that's gotten very good reviews.
8/7/09 10:58 AM
Ronnieb
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - *jealous*

I've been wanting to see this for a while.  IIRC, the same guys made a documentary entitle "Pulling Jon" that's gotten very good reviews.

Sevan co directed 'Pulling John' I'm not really sure of Carey's involvement but I would guess that he had a lot of time behind the camera.

As for 'Every Second Counts' it's an interesting documentary about some of the athletes tat competed at last years CF Games.

Cool part about it for me is that Brian Mackenzie is wearing a shirt from my gym in almost every scene he is in.
8/7/09 12:21 PM
TOM666
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL CrossFit Gaymes. A helluva sport.
8/7/09 2:18 PM
Badmonkey

"I play professional sports...I don't need to make a contest out of exercise."
8/8/09 5:32 PM
actionnotwords

crossfit is the best shit ever!!Shut up and work
8/8/09 7:04 PM
LakerGirl
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The video was okay, started to click through the links. CF is an interesting concept. They definitely dont give a shit about proper form. I was watching some random contest that involved KB thrusters and burpees. I am watching and the guys are doing the worst burpees ever by the end. Basically a sprawl flat onto their stomach and then pushing up and putting one leg up at a time. And of course these reps are being counted. CF has some great workouts and you can definitely get in good shape. Its better than no exercise. But, as a person with a kinesiology degree, I find it hard to really back a exercise system that rewards quantity over quality. Who cares how many reps you can do if you are doing them all wrong?
8/9/09 6:06 PM
TOM666

LakerGirl - Who cares how many reps you can do if you are doing them all wrong?

I would vote that up if I could.
8/9/09 6:16 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crossfit doesn't advocate bad form. They just accept that it slips some when you're really pushing.
8/9/09 7:56 PM
full tilt

Beef & Cheese is correct!Most of the workouts are so intense that when fatique starts setting in perfect form is hard to keep.
8/9/09 8:53 PM
damion

I thought this guy was the most impressive out of the bunch
8/9/09 8:59 PM
LakerGirl
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

full tilt - Beef & Cheese is correct!Most of the workouts are so intense that when fatique starts setting in perfect form is hard to keep.

Exactly, thats when you have reached your max, so why keep going?
8/9/09 9:19 PM
Ronnieb
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damion - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/_Ug8vYcSyYA&hl=en&fs=1&", "postVideo-27009523-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-27009523");  
I thought this guy was the most impressive out of the bunch

James is a solid dude. it was too bad he hurt his shoulder and had to withdraw from the final workout because it played into his strengths.
8/9/09 9:20 PM
Ronnieb

LakerGirl - 
full tilt - Beef & Cheese is correct!Most of the workouts are so intense that when fatique starts setting in perfect form is hard to keep.

that's kinda like saying football players should stop because they are dropping balls or basketball players should stop because they are missing shots.
8/9/09 9:57 PM
LakerGirl

Ronnieb - 
LakerGirl - 

that's kinda like saying football players should stop because they are dropping balls or basketball players should stop because they are missing shots.

Thats exactly what I am saying. Thats why they get pulled out of games and rested when they are tired. Now if you are talking about mental blocks then thats different, but when professional athletes are exhausted to the extent that their coaches notice their game deteriorating they are pulled and rested. Duh.
8/9/09 9:58 PM
LakerGirl

"James is a solid dude. it was too bad he hurt his shoulder and had to withdraw from the final workout because it played into his strengths."

How did he hurt his shoulder?
8/9/09 10:10 PM
Ronnieb

LakerGirl - "James is a solid dude. it was too bad he hurt his shoulder and had to withdraw from the final workout because it played into his strengths."

How did he hurt his shoulder?

he has a pre-existing injury that he has been dealing with for a while. it started to bother him after the snatch workout on sunday.
8/9/09 10:13 PM
Ronnieb

LakerGirl - 
Ronnieb - 
LakerGirl - 

Thats exactly what I am saying. Thats why they get pulled out of games and rested when they are tired. Now if you are talking about mental blocks then thats different, but when professional athletes are exhausted to the extent that their coaches notice their game deteriorating they are pulled and rested. Duh.

my point is that they go back into the game after some rest. most people involved with cf will take a breather during a workout and keep going. even basketball players make ugly shots. perfect form is an illusion, you try to do things in as safe a way as possible but anybody's form can be picked apart at any given time. hell my friend has the fastest 800m time in the world this year for women and she gets her form picked apart all the time
8/10/09 12:55 AM
LakerGirl

LOL, Perfect form is no illusion. I think you are truly missing the point. And no, your post didnt say anything about going out of the game for rest, it was actually the exact opposite.
8/10/09 8:33 AM
Wiggy
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronnieb - that's kinda like saying football players should stop because they are dropping balls or basketball players should stop because they are missing shots.

Not quite the same, IMO.  A receiver can drop 3 balls in a row, and go right back to making spectacular catches, regardless of fatigue.  Same goes for a basketball player missing or making shots, or a baseball player striking out or getting hits.

It's a question of not executing your skill "correctly" (for lack of a better term).  In many, if not most instances, fatigue usually has nothing to do with it.

However, when fatigue is the main factor contributing to your skill/performance seriously deteriorating, then that's a completely different discussion altogether, IMO.

Besides, not to rag on Xfit too much, but I've seen plenty of Xfitters that train with shitty form with they're *not* fatigued.

*shrug*

Wiggy - www.workingclassfitness.com
8/10/09 8:35 AM
Fedro Shotgun

Outdated,want scientific training google VO2 max training,lactic acid thresholds,oxygen deficit training,micro and macro periodisation.
Yes it looks like hell of a workout but you are overtraining and more prone to injury with crossfit.
8/10/09 10:38 AM
paw
1802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LakerGirl - LOL, Perfect form is no illusion. 

I don't know about that.

For example, I have been tired as all get out, but I can still sweep someone with less than perfect form.  The ultimate goal is something other than form --- form is a (relatively) safe, effective, efficient way of meeting my goal.  Right?  Or have I misunderstood?
8/10/09 12:16 PM
Ring Girl

CrossFit Los Angeles, Program Director
Wiggy - Besides, not to rag on Xfit too much, but I've seen plenty of Xfitters that train with shitty form with they're *not* fatigued.

I would contend that's an issue of coaching and not of the system itself. CrossFit, as I have always understood and been taught, holds form to a very high standard when practicing, so that at high reps and under fatigue the inherent falloff in form is minimalized. That being said, intensity is a mainstay of CrossFit, and if you show no falloff in form at all, you're probably not going at max intensity.
8/10/09 3:53 PM
molsonman
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LakerGirl - LOL, Perfect form is no illusion. I think you are truly missing the point. And no, your post didnt say anything about going out of the game for rest, it was actually the exact opposite.

If you want to see awful form just watch crossfit people do thrusters.

I remember reading that a certain amount of "crossfit slop" (poor form) is acceptable if it improves timings.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.