UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Obama First Time Homebuyer $8,000 scam

8/7/09 11:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
seg
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell me why this won't work.  A guy called me yesterday wondering if he could do the following:

Chick owns a home in her sole name and her and her fiancee live there.  She sells the home to him.  He otherwise qualifies for the $8,000 tax credit and claims the credit on his 2009 return while still single.  They then get married in 2010.

It's obviously a scam, but I couldn't find anything in the letter of the law that would prohibit the guy from claiming the credit, other than an argument by the IRS that the sale itself wasn't a bona fide sale.
8/7/09 12:37 PM
MightMakesRight
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems more like a loophole then a scam.
8/7/09 1:18 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like it would work. More a loophole.
8/7/09 11:28 PM
seg
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be her personal residence so no gain or loss recognition.  He would have closing costs, but they would be less than $8,000.

I think if he got audited the IRS would say this was not a bona fide sale and disallow the credit.  Then he would have to fight about it.
8/11/09 1:31 PM
disbeliever
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think having a first time homebuyer credit is stupid. Why not give it to anyone looking to buy a house?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.