UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Shogun by Clavelle and his other works

8/7/09 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I very much liked Shogun and am wondering what his other works are like. Are they comparing?
8/7/09 5:56 PM
Lymond
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddly, I was just considering whether to read Shogun or not. Guess I'll give it a go. Everyone I know that has read him loves all of his work, not just Shogun. I'd guess they're worth picking up.
8/12/09 4:04 PM
Willybone
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read his stuff when I was very young, but I remember enjoying Tai Pan and Noble House both.
8/19/09 11:44 PM
MrColdCock
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun was great.

Tai Pan was just as good as Shogun IMO.

Noble House was decent. Interesting how many of the families from Shogun and Tai Pan are portrayed generations later.

Gai Jin was ok at best. It had it's moments and I did manage to finish it. It was slow and meandered a lot.

I forget the name of the other book. More of a modern, Middle Eastern setting. I haven't read it.
8/27/09 12:11 AM
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^Whirlwind was the last one you're thinking of (set in Iran), it was just okay. Shogun is wonderful (i've read 4 or 5 times, though I frequently re-read books I enjoy), and I'm enjoying tai-pan quite a bit. It's got me psyched up to read the rest of them next.

Whirlwind was extremely long as relatively uninteresting compared to shogun, the characters weren't as interesting. I still enjoyed reading it, though.
9/2/09 9:52 PM
rls99
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved Shogun and Tai-Pan. Thought his best work was King Rat.
9/3/09 1:29 AM
MrColdCock
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forgot about King Rat. Good call. I still like Tai Pan and Shogun more, but it's an excellent book.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.