UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What was going on in the Neer fight...?

8/10/09 11:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was Pelligrino headbutting him on the way in? It seemed like Neer kept on complaining about something and the only thing I could image was he was getting headbutted.

Any Gif of the bitchslap he received late in the fight?
8/10/09 11:44 AM
Veegoh
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think he was asking the fight to be stood up. Kurt really wasnt doing anything but sitting in Neers guard.

Just my opinion.
8/10/09 11:45 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/09 11:47 AM
It looked like a repeat of the time that Neer punched himself intentionally in a prior fight to make a point. He was frustrated via blanket.

Edit: The point is that he seems to have a habit of complaining when he's being controlled. He communicates to everyone down there. When the crowd was booing, he was raising his arms, shrugging that it wasn't his fault. That's annoying to me and I like Neer.
8/10/09 11:50 AM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that was the reason, that is ridiculous. Pelligrino wasn't really stalling at all in the fight. It did appear that he did it a few times right after Kurt came down on him so I thought maybe he was being headbutted.
8/10/09 11:54 AM
TheClips
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Veegoh - i think he was asking the fight to be stood up. Kurt really wasnt doing anything but sitting in Neers guard.

Just my opinion.

"Sitting"? Is that what you call it when a fighter is constantly trying to pass his opponent's guard?

Pellegrino was nothing but active...otherwise we would've seen a quick-ass standup, especially the way refs do it these days.
8/10/09 12:02 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's just completely backwards because, basically, Neer's "crafty" guard (Rogan's word, I believe) was shutting down a very active Pellegrino, but Neer couldn't escape and couldn't stop the takedown. It's not as though P was flattened out on Neer and laying dead on him like a 170 pound meatloaf for five minutes.

So Neer is upset and basically communicating that he was not the cause of the disappointing fight. I suppose the answer could have been to let Pellegrino pass and pound him. The only other answer would involve a time machine and some takedown defense injections in a lab somewhere.

I actually enjoyed watching Neer work from the bottom for a while because he's a very interesting guy, but the whole complaining thing rubbed me the wrong way.
8/10/09 12:06 PM
Spaghetti Legs

Neer was active from bottom which made the fight interesting, but Pellegrino chose to grind it out for the safe win which sucked, because we know he can do more than that.
8/10/09 12:11 PM
solidsnake
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skull Punch Fightwear, CEO & Skull Puncher
Yeah, it took Kurt nearly an entire round to get the mount. That's not easy to get on a guy like Neer. He couldn't play Neer's game and get wreckless.
8/10/09 12:44 PM
the professor of mma

Really impressed with Neer's jiu-jitsu. Haven't been able to see it a lot and it looked very slick.
8/10/09 12:48 PM
2JupitersTooMany

It really was nice to watch him work from the bottom. I was surprised that he was so crafty.
8/10/09 12:56 PM
Halz

I think that Neer almost hurt himself by being so aggressive.  Since he was causing so much action on the ground, the ref let them stay down.  If he would have just held tight and defended, I think he could have gotten a couple of standups.  That being said, to play a game that way is just gay.
8/10/09 1:22 PM
MelPel6306

in josh neer's prefight interview he said kurt's gameplan would probably be to take him down and still he had no answer for it. instead of complaining he should have tried to sprawl or sweep him, but he couldnt.

i think kurt dominated him for 3 rounds with takedowns, passing his guard, mounting him twice and taking his back. neer was frustrated because he wanted to stand and bang like a street fight because that was the only chance he may have had to win. neer is super tough, but technique won here, and i think kurt fought the perfect fight.

i am probably biased :)
8/10/09 1:23 PM
perfy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Halz -  I think that Neer almost hurt himself by being so aggressive.  Since he was causing so much action on the ground, the ref let them stay down.  If he would have just held tight and defended, I think he could have gotten a couple of standups.  That being said, to play a game that way is just gay.

Agreed. If he wanted a stand-up he should have just kept his guard closed and latch onto Kurt's head to stall thr action. Instead he tried for some subs and sweeps so Kurt could pass to half guard before getting put back into full. Maybe Neer should work more on his takedown defense or initate the takedown and make Kurt work off his back. Instead he just wants to stand and bang and then suffers as a result. Stylisticly, reminds me of Lytle, both wel lrounded fighters but with poor game plans at times, trying too hard for a KO.
8/10/09 1:34 PM
TheThrill
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MelPel6306 - in josh neer's prefight interview he said kurt's gameplan would probably be to take him down and still he had no answer for it. instead of complaining he should have tried to sprawl or sweep him, but he couldnt.

i think kurt dominated him for 3 rounds with takedowns, passing his guard, mounting him twice and taking his back. neer was frustrated because he wanted to stand and bang like a street fight because that was the only chance he may have had to win. neer is super tough, but technique won here, and i think kurt fought the perfect fight.

if this is who i think it is you gotta get batman on the underground!!
8/10/09 2:22 PM
Ecko Unltd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ecko Unltd/Brawlmall, MMA sponsor
MelPel6306 - in josh neer's prefight interview he said kurt's gameplan would probably be to take him down and still he had no answer for it. instead of complaining he should have tried to sprawl or sweep him, but he couldnt.

Exactly.

Also Kurt was trying to pass constantly but Neer has solid jiu jitsu and kept reestablishing. Kurt still managed to mount and rear mount Neer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.