UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Dilemma (crosspost from OG)

8/11/09 9:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pustak
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know the OG is good for wise, well-considered advice.

I work a weird schedule, Sun-Thurs, 1-9:30PM. Currently I've got Fri and Sat off, which works out OK, as it's close-ish to a regular weekend. My girlfriend (with whom I live) works a regular schedule, Mon-Fri 9-5. Because of my commute she's either in bed or heading that way when I get home from work. As such I only see her Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning.

So, I'm looking to take a graduate class this semester to build myself up in anticipation of applying for PhD programs. A big part of the reason I'm doing this is because I currently don't look great on paper, and I'd like to demonstrate that I can perform at a grad level. I intend to excel (I can!), and hit whomever I study with up for a leter of recommendation after the class has ended.

I've been in touch with a couple of professors, and lined up a course I could take mornings before work. The prof is reasonably well known in his field, but not (to my knowledge) a superstar. I was all set to go with that until today, when I heard back from another professor I had written to, who is also willing to let me register for his class this fall. He's extremely well respected, and won a Pulitzer a few years back.

This should all be great, except that I would have to completely rearrange my schedule to take his class. I'd end up with two week days off, and be left in a position where I would basically not see my girlfriend for 4 months, except while asleep. I'm trying to figure out if the extra cachet would be worth the sacrifice, and I just *know* that the OG can answer. . .
8/26/09 6:16 PM
OriginalFLUFfer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pustak, forget taking a class - RESEARCH!!! Get a publication or poster under your belt. That's how you can bolster your resume!
8/28/09 6:16 PM
asdf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably need to take a few classes and do research if your grades are lousy.

Well strike that, you can probably get in SOMEwhere, but not necessarily anywhere good.

Also, if you go to grad school, your current gf is probably gone anyway. You'll be broke, working or studying ALL the time, and probably will need to move multiple times to get a job.
9/1/09 5:10 PM
Hollywood Blonde

Edited: 09/01/09 5:10 PM
Get involved with a professor's research project. Try to get a conference presentation or even your name on a publication out of it.

Also, do you have an idea of your career goals once you get a Ph.D.? Are you looking to become a professor at a research university, a professor at a teaching college, go to work in the private sector, or what? Let me know if you can.
9/28/09 12:08 PM
Pustak
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, been away from this thread for a while. I'm taking the class with the better known of the professors.

My field is History, so it's tough to get involved with another person's research, and in the time period before I needed to apply I had almost no chance to complete anything publishable myself. This seemed like the best route available to get some 'name' behind me.

I worried about the girlfriend situation only because it's not a casual thing -- we're getting married and have been together for 7+ years, she's on board for following my broke ass around for grad school, and I'd like not to drive her crazier than needed. Actually though this whole thing is working out -- I'm just working split shifts on the days in question.

And ultimately I'm more interested in teaching than research, so I'd be happy at any four year college, or even teaching high school if need be. I just want a chance to spend some years doing something I love.

Also, this will help in my quest to become the worlds most insufferable know-it-all.
9/28/09 12:10 PM
OriginalTUFer

Lol, I was gonna quote my own post until I noticed who made it - lol.

I think you should apply for a fellowship so you can come in with your own funding. If you do, they almost can't reject you - since you will be such an attractive, and cheap, candidate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.