UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> What Used Car to Buy Under 15k

8/12/09 11:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What cars should I be looking at that are under 15k and are pretty fast and look good?

I need a new car but will be keeping my old one as well for winter. I will probably only drive this new car around 6 months out of the year and will drive to work or school which would be about 20-30 miles per day (if that).

I'm currently looking at an '04 Chrysler Crossfire wiht 38k miles on it. I like the way it looks and it seems like a good price on it for 10k even. I read reviews that say the handling isn't great though and the car is a little underwhelming. I am also looking for a Nissan 350z. The reviews say there are big blindspots, cheap interior, and the brakes only last around 30-40k miles.

Just wondering what others thought and maybe give me other ideas on what to look for?
8/15/09 12:00 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used WRX, ride it in the winter as well since its AWD. Course they don't look good, but they are fast.
8/17/09 9:54 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stay well away from used Subie turbos.

Unless you have a few grand to spend on fixing blown turbos.

Mark
8/18/09 5:59 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe the turbo failures are the 2007-2008 2.5L models correct? Avoid those or get an extended warranty that covers the turbo.

Or, simply wait for it fail and slap a bigger one in! :D
8/19/09 8:32 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah, from 02 on.

Mark
8/19/09 3:43 PM
big_slacker

Edited: 08/20/09 8:45 AM
I thought '02 on was for the head gasket thing on the non-turbo motors and the turbo failures were more recent. I just can't keep up. Every car sucks for some reason these days. :D
9/16/09 4:13 PM
Pig Bun
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'03/'04 Mach 1

Same brakes as the Cobra, but the car is 500# lighter. Don't believe the rated hp/tq, it makes more!

My stock 5spd '03 ran 13.3's STOCK. Added a set of skinny (stock width) Nitto DR's and ran a 12.99.

I've seen some NICE ones selling recently for well under 15k. If I hadn't just quit my job to finish my degree, I'd be buying another one.

Lee
9/17/09 8:31 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think u cant really go wrong with buying a 2nd hand japanese car.
the wrx is well made, fairly durable. just look for one that has been owned by a sensible owner that hasnt been modified. plenty of older owners out there, they aint all backward cap wearing douches.
im not sure if the evolution is under $15k yet in the usa, but thats another good option.
otherwise, i would steer well clear of american built cars. i live in australia, and my experience with usa cars (1999 jeep grand cherokee, 01 mustang cobra) have taught me, NEVER AGAIN.

if u want reliable, then get a honda or acura or toyota. toyota admiteddly have made nothing exciting for teh past 10 years
9/17/09 12:26 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought an '05 Lexus SC 430
9/19/09 6:12 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for under 15k? thats awesome, pity they look like shit and only women or retired over 55s drive them
9/19/09 9:20 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN

I disagree about them looking like shit. Most people over 55 drive them because most younger people can't afford them.
9/20/09 8:30 AM
walbjj

umm, no. most younger people wouldnt be caught dead in a barge like that. they were ridiculously expensive to buy new and even when they were still selling towards the end of its life, there was a ton of cars out there that were better value.
but if ur happy with it, then thats all that matters. i just cringe everytime i see one on the road, with that bulbous nose and chubby profile. its not an exciting looking car imo
9/20/09 9:32 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN

I get plenty of looks and people commenting how nice it looks when I'm stopped at lights....do you drive a prius?
9/20/09 11:07 AM
Pig Bun
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HaMMerHouseFAN - I get plenty of looks and people commenting how nice it looks when I'm stopped at lights....do you drive a prius?

Those would be the fags. They are hitting on you.

j/k, kind of

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.