UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Unprecedented focus on Carano & Santos weights

8/15/09 11:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
909 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Carano and Cyborg missing weight was not an option

“We took a lot of proactive measures to make sure [Gina Carano and Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos were on weight]. We were weighing the girls all week. When Gina went to sleep last night she was right at weight (145). I was more concerned about Cyborg (she weighed in at 152 for her last Strikeforce fight). I talked to the Chute Boxe trainer and said ’she has to make weight.’ When they landed [in San Jose] she was 152. We just let her do her thing and didn’t interrupt, but we weighed them everyday. I don’t think we’ve ever been this diligent. This is a such high-profile event. This is a major fight for television, a major fight for us and a major fight for female fighting period.”

–Strikeforce Founder and CEO Scott Coker tells CageWriter.com that he was not about to let anything happen to his main event fight between Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, Calif., on Aug. 15. The promotion went as far as to weigh the girls — who will compete in an historic main event for the first-ever 145-pound female championship — frequently leading up to yesterday’s weigh in. Carano and Cyborg have historically struggled on the scales, but not last night — both ladies hit their marks without incident. It was likely a huge relief for Strikeforce, which has had a rough time keeping the “Carano vs. Cyborg” card together because of injuries, drug test issues and other matters. With all the drama now out of the way, it’s finally time to fight.

read full article...

8/15/09 11:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blahhst
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scott Coker is really doing a great job here
8/15/09 11:28 AM
buvaiser

yep, that hair on your cha cha is not allowing you to make weight.... let's trim it together.
8/15/09 11:33 AM
parrishmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok, they made weight, but the biggest factor here is that Strikeforce added 5 lbs to the division just so they could make weight. That takes away some of the impressiveness to me.
8/15/09 11:38 AM
buvaiser

yep, gina's original fights were supposed to be with 135lbers.
8/15/09 11:46 AM
parrishmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow... so even less impressive to me then. But hey, she still looks hot cause im no fayg!!!
8/15/09 11:50 AM
Fenix

lol wat? There has always been a 135 division even before Gina started fighting.
8/15/09 4:50 PM
HardHittingHeeb

buvaiser - yep, that hair on your cha cha is not allowing you to make weight.... let's trim it together.

perfect
8/15/09 5:24 PM
torquemada
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never before has a main event ever been reliant on timing around the fighters' periods...
8/15/09 5:26 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's sad when the focus of a womens championship fight is how good she looks at the weighins and her weight.
8/15/09 5:49 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

parrishmma - ok, they made weight, but the biggest factor here is that Strikeforce added 5 lbs to the division just so they could make weight. That takes away some of the impressiveness to me.
WTF?!? The only person that seems to think that 140 was a "real" weight class was Gary Shaw. Strikeforce didn't add 5 pounds, they just corrected Gary Shaw's nonsense, both the 140 pound division and the 3 minute rounds.
8/15/09 6:30 PM
parrishmma

Zedlepln - 
parrishmma - ok, they made weight, but the biggest factor here is that Strikeforce added 5 lbs to the division just so they could make weight. That takes away some of the impressiveness to me.
WTF?!? The only person that seems to think that 140 was a "real" weight class was Gary Shaw. Strikeforce didn't add 5 pounds, they just corrected Gary Shaw's nonsense, both the 140 pound division and the 3 minute rounds.

Hey, I dont disagree with you. Im just saying that making the weight is as impressive as some say it is, given that they were given an extra 5lbs for the divsion.

Its like being first in your class one year, when the previous year you were in the middle. Maybe you didnt get any smarter, just everyone else got dumber.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.