UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ricco Rodriguez: I’ve got a great shot at beating

8/15/09 1:43 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Exclusive interview: Ricco Rodriguez talks possible return to UFC:

Former UFC Heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez spoke to Cage Report in an exclusive interview. Rodriguez coming off a submission victory over John Brown at Reality Combat last month feels that he is once again ready for the big time. "I felt good getting that win but I'm not stopping here, I'm physically at the point where I feel I can make back into the big league" said Rodriguez.

When asked how he believes he matches with some of the top tier heavyweights in the UFC, the former champion claims he is eager to re-capture UFC gold "I'm serious about being a factor in this division. First and foremost I want my belt back. I know Lesnar is a huge guy but I've noticed several holes in his top game during his last fight that I could capitalize on. Yeah he beat Mir but Frank Mir doesn't possess the level of jiu-jitsu I have - which is really needed to neutralize the size advantage of Brock. Personally I don't get the hype, I think I was more impressive against Randy than Lesnar was, it looked like Randy was breaking him mentally until he landed the last shot"

The 31 year old Rodriguez also says he has been in talks about a possible match with Fedor Emelianenko "Yeah I’ve been approached about it, nothing's final yet but that's a fight I would definitely want. I know people will say I don't have a chance, but I destroyed the guy who handed Fedor his only loss. Fedor is a great fighter but, the training I've done at Wolfslair has improved my game tremendously so I think I've got a great shot at beating him."

read full article...

8/15/09 1:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cmcgraw
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still bringing up the randy fight..
8/15/09 1:45 PM
bemsqua
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep...he'd take Brock and Fedor...no problem. He's been hanging out with Bisping and crew too long.
8/15/09 1:50 PM
Dexter Morgan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone who laughs at Ricco should get a copy of UFC-39.

At that time, he was the baddest man on the planet.

However, it was a long time ago. And nobody else from the old days is winning anymore either.(not even Royce.)
8/15/09 3:12 PM
RobbieH

Man I can't wait to see Ricco in the big shows again. I've always thought a lot of his skills, and I'm glad he seems to be focused again. Depression is a bitch and can affect the best of us and lead us into the "darkness"... As long as Ricco stays motivated and around positive people he will do just fine... 

Get 'em Ricco!
8/15/09 3:25 PM
Sunman

If he's in shape, Ricco can give anyone problems. People were expecting him to get blown out of the water against Big Foot, but he did better than expected and lost a split decision.
8/15/09 3:25 PM
Whambo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol ok the interview pisses me off cause we all know how Fedor got his only loss. That's quite a bit misleading...

That said, while GSP and Silva look untouchable in their divisions, Fedor does not. Arlovski was doing well before he threw that retarded flying knee, combined with his glass jaw.

Hopefully Ricco has tightened up his game. After watching his vs Sylvia last night I realised a few things. Sylvia was in his prime there, he has never looked as good physically as he did in that fight. Ricco was sloppy, he threw his punches and kicks very sloppy, and his takedowns were sloppy to. Sylvia isn't a very dynamic fighter, but he looked crisp in that fight.
8/15/09 3:49 PM
ranier wolfcastle
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

riccos a pretty average fighter these days. fedor isnt.
 Win John Brown Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Reality Combat - The Return 7/25/2009 3 2:34
 Loss Mario Rinaldi Decision (Unanimous) WFC - Battle of the Bay 8 7/10/2009 3 5:00
 Win Doug Williams Submission AFC 09 - Armagedon Fighting Championships 09 6/27/2009 1 1:02
 Loss Jeff Monson Decision (Unanimous) Mixed Fighting Alliance - There Will Be Blood 12/13/2008 3 5:00
8/15/09 4:10 PM
White Bekt Jones

Ricco will set the MMA world straight again.

Just Saying.
8/15/09 4:13 PM
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 31 years old, he's got no legitimate excuse to not get back in shape, and focus on his career. He's got the tools to be in the ranks of the elite once more, I hope it doesn't go to waste.
8/15/09 4:17 PM
Bz

i gotta say i like ricco but i think mir is better

and losing a decision to the snowman monson isnt very impressive
8/15/09 4:21 PM
RobbieH

HERTSWENIP - At 31 years old, he's got no legitimate excuse to not get back in shape, and focus on his career. He's got the tools to be in the ranks of the elite once more, I hope it doesn't go to waste.

I agree, he's still extremely young and with his size and skill level he could give people hell...
8/15/09 4:26 PM
LMFAO

ricco is shot...like really really shot...probablys the most shot current fighter out there tday...
8/15/09 4:29 PM
Roger AK47

Nothing in recent years would suggest Ricco should be in with either Fedor or Lesnar. If he is the first guy Strikeforce has in mind for Fedor, Dana doesn't even have to say another word.
8/15/09 4:55 PM
super chin
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Ricco has a great shot at beating his demons and his addiction, but as things stand right now, he doesn't have a great shot at beating fedor.

let him fight arlovski or sylvia who need to show they still are top fighters, or kongo, roy nelson etc. who need to establish themselves. Fight your way back to contention. Don't jump in with the best HW in the world.
8/15/09 6:02 PM
supersaiyan

bemsqua - Yep...he'd take Brock and Fedor...no problem. He's been hanging out with Bisping and crew too long.

why is that ? it s the fight game ...u take on whoever is there ...period...if he said no i dont wanna fight those challenging guys and settled for tomato cans ...u would say he was "ducking " REAL fighters. With some ppl in life no matter what u say or do..u cant win.
8/15/09 7:00 PM
orcus

Wow, he's only 31?
8/15/09 7:08 PM
supersaiyan

^^^ yeah blew my head for a spin as well^^^

he got at least another good 5-7 years fighting .
8/15/09 7:22 PM
kalki

i thought it said"i've got a great shot at bleeding"
8/15/09 8:00 PM
HendosToyinExplodingBoy

Ricco does have a great shot, I would love to see this fight.
8/15/09 8:06 PM
RobbieH

supersaiyan - 
bemsqua - Yep...he'd take Brock and Fedor...no problem. He's been hanging out with Bisping and crew too long.

why is that ? it s the fight game ...u take on whoever is there ...period...if he said no i dont wanna fight those challenging guys and settled for tomato cans ...u would say he was "ducking " REAL fighters. With some ppl in life no matter what u say or do..u cant win.

Excellent post by Supersaiyan!! VTFU
8/15/09 8:07 PM
Russell Schenck
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FFI/Pro Managment LLC , Matchmaker/Owner
ranier wolfcastle -  riccos a pretty average fighter these days. fedor isnt.
 Win John Brown Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Reality Combat - The Return 7/25/2009 3 2:34
 Loss Mario Rinaldi Decision (Unanimous) WFC - Battle of the Bay 8 7/10/2009 3 5:00
 Win Doug Williams Submission AFC 09 - Armagedon Fighting Championships 09 6/27/2009 1 1:02
 Loss Jeff Monson Decision (Unanimous) Mixed Fighting Alliance - There Will Be Blood 12/13/2008 3 5:00

I have to give Ricco props because John Brown is going to be a name you will hear in the future. He is young and full of promise. John won a close first round and dominated Ricco in the second by dropping him with a big right hand but while trying to close the deal he punched himself out. Ricco showed his experience and found a way to recover and in the third he took john down, passed to half guard and started raining down punches and elbows till the ref stopped the fight. No it was not RNC....

I must say that was a quality win for Ricco. John Brown is as tough as they come in the HW division. Ricco disserves a shot back in the big time.
8/15/09 8:11 PM
HendosToyinExplodingBoy

gangsta101 - 
HendosToyinExplodingBoy - Ricco does have a great shot, I would love to see this fight.

Agreed, Ricco has never been lacking in talent it's just getting into shape that has been a problem throughout his career, but the guys at Wolfslar will make sure Ricco is in optimal shape come fight time so that will be a non-issue here.  There is also the danger that Fedor will underestimate Ricco which just increases the chances of an upset.

Indeed. We all saw the positive effect that just a few days at Wolfslair had on Coleman before Shogun II as they fine tuned his game leading into the fight, I believe Ricco will have benefited similarly from his time there too.
8/15/09 8:15 PM
Fedro Shotgun

Ricco is a victim of delicoiusness.
8/15/09 10:28 PM
supersaiyan

RobbieH - 
supersaiyan - 

Excellent post by Supersaiyan!! VTFU

why thank you sir! :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.