UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Advice on some cheap beginner bass guitar

8/18/09 4:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
YumYumPandaburger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been playing guitar for quite some time, and lately I've been doing more and more recording on my laptop. Up to now I've always added a bass line via Guitar Rig or Amplitube, using an octaver and a model of a bass amp. However the octaver really doesn't cut it anymore, I don't like the sound and it doesn't sound like a bass really. So now I'm looking into buying a low cost, but preferably sill somewhat decent, bass. it doesn't need to be all stage worthy, I don't plan on doing more than just adding some bass lines to recorded tracks.

I mostly play blues, blues-rock, some rock, some funk, but no real heavy metal. I've been looking at some bottom end basses that fit within my tight budget. Since I know shit all about bass maybe someone here can give me some additional directions or ideas.

Basses I considered:
Ibanez GSR180 and 200
Yamaha RBX170 and 270
Squier bronco
Squier Affinity Precision
Squier Vintage Modified J/B or P/B
8/18/09 5:45 AM
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a cheap Ibanez in my collection (I think it's the GSR200)and it's a great bass for the money. It plays well and sounds decent. I think they're about $150 used.
8/18/09 9:03 AM
T-Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The stand outs on that list by far are the vintage modified Squiers. I've never played one but people are flipping out over these... gereally acknowleged as being better than made in Mexico.

Either the Jazz or the Precision would work well for the styles you like imo. For your first bass I'd personally go for the J as its a little more versatile, but if you really like the P better go for it.

Failing that, I'd go for one of the Yammy's next, they are not bad... then maybe the Ibanez. Forget the other non vintage modified Squiers.
8/18/09 9:52 AM
YumYumPandaburger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I looked at the vintage modified squiers, but frankly they are more then what I would like to spend on an instrument that I might not use very frequently. On the other hand, I don't plan on buying a second bass anytime soon so I might just as well put in another 100 to get one of those neat looking 70's VM jazz basses. Or that precision with the chrome humbucker.

Still either of those are twice the price of a bronco, which might do the job just as well.
8/18/09 1:40 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nostradumbass - I have a cheap Ibanez in my collection (I think it's the GSR200)and it's a great bass for the money. It plays well and sounds decent. I think they're about $150 used.
I have one also, having a kick around bass is a good thing. If you can get one for $150 used that sounds like a hell of a deal to me. They're 199.95 new, I'd hate to give mine up for that!

Mine looks just like this one. Super slim neck, good for guitar players.

8/18/09 1:56 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard to beat the price on these:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-RBX4A2-BK-LIST
8/21/09 1:09 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those are pretty cool,Hillbilly, but the GSR is $100 cheaper and sounds comparable,IMO. It's also easier to upgrade later with aftermarket pickups. The Ibanez also has an active bass boost that is sort of a one knob funk tone thing,pretty handy.
8/21/09 6:19 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool! I love the looks of the neck on the Ibanez. As you said good for guitar players. American Musical Supply makes it nice/easy because they offer a 3 month payment plan on ones debit/credit card. In the case of the debit card they take it out of you checking acct.
8/25/09 9:11 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before you buy.....at least go play the model you choose at more than one store.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.