UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> funny interview from a while back

8/22/09 1:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
billid
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just wanted to cut a little peice out of this article I was reading. features Justin ‘ZeeJustin’ Bonomo, Tom ‘durrrr’ Dwan, and Sorel ‘Imper1um’ Mizzi

PokerPlayer: How did you get started online?

Sorel Mizzi: I’d just turned 18 and my brother owed me a few hundred dollars, which he wanted to transfer to me on a poker site. I was afraid I’d get addicted so I was like, ‘No, no, no.’ But I finally agreed, and went right into $3/$6 and $5/$10 limit.

PP: That’s pretty high stakes for a beginner. Were you winning straight away?

SM: No, I lost about $10,000.

Tom Dwan: Great bankroll management! How much did you start with Justin? I started with $50.

Justin Bonomo: I lost $300 before I re-deposited $250 and started playing $3/$6.

PP: Let’s get this clear Sorel, your brother owed you a few hundred bucks and you ended up in the hole for $10,000? I can understand your initial fears…

SM: Yeah, I know. I kept on depositing. I lost everything I made, which was $7k or $8k. It was pretty devastating but I just kept playing.

PP: Was it mostly cash back then?

SM: Yeah, I didn’t know that tournaments existed at that time. I did the whole limit thing. I went on a few runs where I’d deposit $50, build it up to $16k or $17k in two days, and then lose it all.

TD: Jesus Christ! You busted $17k when you had nothing to your name? That’s sick.

SM: I know. But then I won two tournaments in one week on PartyPoker and came second in the Friday special. It was a $50,000 week, which was huge, and I was like, ‘I’m going to buy a house, I’m going to do this and that.’ Two weeks later I’d lost it all playing $100/$200 limit on four tables.

JB: I just lost so much respect for you...
8/22/09 1:19 AM
billid
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Dwan: My dad was really worried, saying, ‘This poker thing is consuming your life.’ I replied, ‘Dad, I’m going to take a week or two off, don’t worry about it.’ He persisted, so eventually I said, ‘Dad, I made $1.3m last night.’
8/22/09 11:42 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha, nice, thanks for sharing. is there a link to the whole thing?
8/22/09 5:11 PM
billid

www.totalgambler.com/pokerlife/pokerfeatures/3936/online_poker_stars.html
11/23/10 5:57 PM
DonDon11
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/10 5:57 PM

11/23/10 9:14 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/10 9:16 PM

Cool interview, but needs to be put in perspective.  This was conducted in 2008.  All three players are very good but Sorel and Bonomo are not at Tom Dwan's level.  Also, Sorel and Bonomo have both confessed to cheating in the past.

edit:  it was put in perspective:  "from a while back" in thread title.  Just added a lil bit more perspective.  2 years is like an ice age ago in the world of online poker.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.