UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> ever work with a sociopath?

8/22/09 11:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kinetsu Hayabusa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just recently a guy at work is about to get canned because of his continuous lies and antisocial behavior

took me a while to pinpoint him as a sociopath, but he clearly exhibits the signs

he has caused a whole heap of trouble over the past two years at work, and has thrown many people under the bus, undeservedly so

how do you combat this type of behavior?

8/22/09 11:52 PM
cottonzway
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bushes + ski mask + bat = your answer
8/22/09 11:55 PM
itskrisdude
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know someone who worked with Gary Rdgeway (Green River Killer).
8/23/09 12:01 AM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

sociopath defined:

• Glibness and Superficial Charm

• Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

• Grandiose Sense of Self
    Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

• Pathological Lying
    Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

• Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

• Shallow Emotions
    When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

• Incapacity for Love

• Need for Stimulation
    Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

• Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

• Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

• Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

• Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

• Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

• Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

• Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
    Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

• Other Related Qualities:

1. Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
    2. Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
    3. Authoritarian
    4. Secretive
    5. Paranoid
    6. Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
    7. Conventional appearance
    8. Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
    9. Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life
    10. Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)
    11. Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
    12. Incapable of real human attachment to another
    13. Unable to feel remorse or guilt
    14. Extreme narcissism and grandiose
    15. May state readily that their goal is to rule the world

(The above traits are based on the psychopathy checklists of H. Cleckley and R. Hare.)

source: http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
    8/23/09 12:01 AM
    cottonzway
    877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

75% of the OG IMO.
    8/23/09 12:04 AM
    beerbelly
    54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^yeah, actually did work with someone that nearly fits all of those.  I spent 3 years of hell fighting her off, since I seemed to be the object of her attention.  Would not sleep with her.  She recently asked a co-worker of mine (she hasn't been around me in 4 years), to send pictures of my kids from facebook, cause she wanted to see if my kids were really mine.  Sick as shit bitch.
    8/23/09 12:21 AM
    homegrowncone
    598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I once worked with a guy who later stabbed and killed a senior citizen who was deliver christmas cards.

He had some serious psychological issues.
    8/23/09 12:38 AM
    FightWatcher
    1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cottonzway - 75% of the OG IMO.
    +1

8/23/09 12:45 AM
    dorf

Sweet Daddy Bear - I worked as a telemarketer when I was a teenager. One of the trainers (I was actually in his class) got fired because he would get lost for more than half an hour or everyday, no one could fucking find this guy.

When they finally caught him, he jerking off in the ladies room in the business next to ours. He had changed into a dress, pumps, the whole shabang. Apparently, that business shut down everyday for an hour over lunch and he'd go in there for privacy. The only reason he got caught is because our ladies room was shut down because one of the fat bitches we worked with broke the toilet. lol

What remained unclear was whether he changed into a dress for stimulation, or merely as camouflage to get into the ladies room.

95% of the OG IMO.
    8/23/09 12:53 AM
    Pecker
    98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My brother is a diagnosed sociopath, and I will have nothing to do with him.
    8/23/09 12:59 AM
    Chaos in China
    6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worked with a guy that posts on this board that fits many of those definitions... actually 2 of them now that i think of it

both situations made for unbearable working conditions. it's so tiring to have to deal with people that constantly lie to you and everyone around you. They lie about EVERYTHING not just big things any little thing that can inflate their ego in some small way is subject to alteration. when they are caught lying they change their stories, deflect onto others, etc. In both situations I quit the job and moved onto something else but both were small companies. I would hope in a bigger company those types get filtered out eventually.
    8/23/09 1:08 AM
    shen
    1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did too. I don't know how to convey just how "off" this person was, you had to "feel it", but...

He was a mid-50's ish waiter at the restaurant I worked at. A super "charming" but ultimately scary English guy.

He would boldly pocket all kinds of cash around the place. Not too hard to do there, but he was a master and was SO believable when he lied about it, you doubted yourself.

He was EXTRAORDINARILY well educated and knowledgeable person. But he would ask me creepy questions like: "Do you know who this is?" and he would show me a scrap of paper with some pre-teen pop star on it and ask me where to get their music. He would say a "friend was talking about it"

He owned and drove TWO completely identical blue Honda civic hatchbacks with tan interiors. The only way I even noticed is one got a "ding" in the door that would "appear" and "disappear". So I wrote down the plate # and realized, yes, this nut was driving different IDENTICAL cars on different days.

No one knew his real name or address or background or ANYTHING substantial about him, even after working with him for years.

If you called him at "home" a confused woman answered and would say that she was "house sitting" for him. She was "house sitting" for him for all three years I worked there.

He came into work a number of times after CLEARLY sleeping outside (same clothes, smelly, grass & twigs in his hair). Not sleeping in his car, mind you but outside.

He had no genuine human feelings, but everyone though he was "super-nice".

More than once people came into the restaurant who clearly knew him well from another restaurant where he worked. He would say they were "mistaken" and that they had the wrong person. We knew him as "Guy King" but they knew him as "Charles or Chaz -Something". He once admitted his real name was not "Guy King" But wouldn't tell us his real name. He said he liked to change his name every once in while "because he got bored".

He would play grab-ass with the bus-boys (none of whom were gay, AFAIK) and they were terrified of him.

The owner, who was about 68 and had borderline dementia once literally said to the chef: "Steven, follow Guy home. I'm afraid Lazaro [a busboy] is gonna end up in a soup".

There were a million things. He was a sociopath, I'm sure of it.
    8/23/09 1:28 AM
    McSlugga

8/23/09 1:30 AM
    Dopey

weird thread
    8/23/09 3:26 AM
    pfsjkd
    86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their are varying degrees of sociopathy, or anti-social personality disorder, which is the current technical name for it (even though some researchers claim they're not the same disorder altogether). 

Read 'The Sociopath Next Door'.  The author postulates that about 10% of the population is sociopathic to some degree.  Serial killers are just the most extreme form.
    8/23/09 3:33 AM
    DuSmiEthwhi

I've been involved with Pentecostal circles for a long time (I'm a Christian), even graduated from a Christian school.

I'm sad to say I've seen a multitude of sociopaths in the ministry. Mainly because they can achieve what they want within those circles.

the top three rules of a psychopath/sociopath

1. Words have not meaning

2. Actions have no consequence

3. People have no value

these are the laws they live by whether they are violent offenders or not.
    8/23/09 3:48 AM
    White Bekt Jones

cottonzway - Bushes + ski mask + bat = your answer

Pretty much solves the problem, but you are lawful evil from then on.
    8/23/09 4:25 AM
    DuSmiEthwhi

J-LauFan1 - they sound like nihilists for your definition

Anti-social behavior conforms well to a "Will-to-power" and utilitarian philosophy.

The sociopath feels they entitled to treat people poorly because they are better, "Might makes right" so if they get what they want it was a good thing.
    8/23/09 4:58 AM
    estanmilko

Kinetsu Hayabusa - 

just recently a guy at work is about to get canned because of his continuous lies and antisocial behavior

took me a while to pinpoint him as a sociopath, but he clearly exhibits the signs

he has caused a whole heap of trouble over the past two years at work, and has thrown many people under the bus, undeservedly so

how do you combat this type of behavior?

Just because you had to work the door for 15 minutes tonight, checking ids, doesn't make him a sociopath!
    8/23/09 5:28 AM
    FCM

I currently work with one.She is a 50+ bulldyke that is always phoning the boss trying to stir shit.Lies about previous employment, education and what ppl say.

Anyone that says anything against her she cries homophobe.

I fucking hate her.
    8/23/09 5:37 AM
    ManOfThePeepHole
    1901 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/23/09 5:39 AM
    jimmy23
    96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea, Ive known a couple

8/23/09 5:48 AM
    CavemanDave
    269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howling_Odin -

I am SERIOUSLY going to get flamed for this, but someone like Tito Ortiz strikes me as a bit of a sociopath.

yea

No.
    8/23/09 7:48 AM
    CornFed

Pecker -  My brother is a diagnosed sociopath, and I will have nothing to do with him.

Way to be supportive
    8/23/09 7:58 AM
    Blazing Knees

Ken Shamrock comes to mind.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.