UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> ever work with a sociopath?

8/23/09 10:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr B
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my step-dad.

not even going to get into the backstory on him, but he fits the bill. even after having mellowed out the last couple of years...he still fits the bill.
8/23/09 10:37 AM
Au Jus
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like a generation of people educated and raised in the "self esteem" society of the past 15yrs
8/23/09 11:13 AM
HarryLime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, everyone has decided that the people they don't like (or who don't really like them) are sociopaths. Most of the people you're describing sound like ordinary crazy/shitty people.

It's completely possible for people to have a normal emotional life but also be unethical, delusional, and narcissistic. Most normal people are all three to some degree.

I've perused 'The Sociopath Next Door' and it was no less sensational than dopey 'true crime' books or the pop pysche bs marketed to women who want to stop being 'victims'.
8/23/09 11:35 AM
HELWIG

"So I wrote down the plate # and realized, yes, this nut was driving different IDENTICAL cars on different days."

Thats definitely a disturbing sign indeed.

Good friend of mine started exhibiting real sociopathic behavior after highschool ended and I appologized for him and tried to rationalize it before finally accepting that it was hopeless.

Pointless lying about anything and everything. Didnt want to go to a party = I cant.....my grandma died!

I'll be there at 8 = no show, no call, screens phone calls for the next 3 days, then randomly shows up with dunking donuts as if nothing happened.

Told me once that regardless of what he's committed to, anything that comes up entitles him to just blow off previous engagements and if people dont like, it, F 'em.

I think he learned it from observing his father in a business setting.

Shame cause he was a great friend.
8/23/09 11:51 AM
Scramslam

Sweet Daddy Bear - I worked as a telemarketer when I was a teenager. One of the trainers (I was actually in his class) got fired because he would get lost for more than half an hour or everyday, no one could fucking find this guy.

When they finally caught him, he jerking off in the ladies room in the business next to ours. He had changed into a dress, pumps, the whole shabang. Apparently, that business shut down everyday for an hour over lunch and he'd go in there for privacy. The only reason he got caught is because our ladies room was shut down because one of the fat bitches we worked with broke the toilet. lol

What remained unclear was whether he changed into a dress for stimulation, or merely as camouflage to get into the ladies room.

You Biggot! This is his sexual preference, you intolerant, judgemental fundamentalist. I think California just passed a law saying you can't fire an employee for cross-dressing. I think you're a hater, and a racist.
8/23/09 12:39 PM
Pecker
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CornFed - 
Pecker -  My brother is a diagnosed sociopath, and I will have nothing to do with him.

Way to be supportive
You have no idea what he is like. I could write a book based on his shit.

8/23/09 12:49 PM
jar of flies
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck.. every single thing in Kinetsu's post describes me
8/23/09 3:15 PM
jarva
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scramslam - 
Sweet Daddy Bear - I worked as a telemarketer when I was a teenager. One of the trainers (I was actually in his class) got fired because he would get lost for more than half an hour or everyday, no one could fucking find this guy.

When they finally caught him, he jerking off in the ladies room in the business next to ours. He had changed into a dress, pumps, the whole shabang. Apparently, that business shut down everyday for an hour over lunch and he'd go in there for privacy. The only reason he got caught is because our ladies room was shut down because one of the fat bitches we worked with broke the toilet. lol

What remained unclear was whether he changed into a dress for stimulation, or merely as camouflage to get into the ladies room.

You Biggot! This is his sexual preference, you intolerant, judgemental fundamentalist. I think California just passed a law saying you can't fire an employee for cross-dressing. I think you're a hater, and a racist.

LMAO I hope you are trolling.  I don't think the guy got fired for cross dressing.  I think he got fired for jerking the gherkin in the ladies room.
8/23/09 4:36 PM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

Pecker - 
CornFed - 
Pecker -  My brother is a diagnosed sociopath, and I will have nothing to do with him.

Way to be supportive
You have no idea what he is like. I could write a book based on his shit.

i would be interested to hear some stories Pecker

its gotta be tough having someone so close with this affliction.  from what i've read, sociopaths cannot be cured in any way.  you basically have to cut them off or they will continue to hurt you and those around you
8/23/09 4:48 PM
MauricioG

celebrities?, Randy Couture?
8/23/09 5:02 PM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

lol, i think some of you guys should read my second post, which describes the qualifications of a sociopath (antisocial personality disorder)
8/23/09 5:19 PM
chickenscratch
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/09 5:59 PM
I knew a guy when I was a teenager that we all thought was really cool. He was a rebel and seemed more composed while we were all awkward teens. Looking back, though, he was a sick fuck. I would have written off his behavior as typical teenage boy stuff (most teenage boys exhibit sociopathy to some degree, imo) but years later he called me and I realized he hadn't changed a bit and he still saw others as disposable nothings.

Glad I have nothing to do with him now.  
8/23/09 5:46 PM
Master Bedar

ttt for pecker stories
8/23/09 5:50 PM
The National

I am one.
8/23/09 5:57 PM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to sound like an armchair psychiatrist or someone who has "done it all" but I'm going to just chip in my .02 :

1. At 24 I've worked in a whole bunch of different industries and have seen lots of different people. Retail, construction, hospitals, warehousing, telemarketing, etc. Certain personality types drift towards different jobs. (No shit huh?)

2. I've had clinical depression since I was about 16. As a result I feel I am much more aware of thought patterns and behavior patterns than the average person. I've come to peace with the fact that it is something I will grapple with the rest of my life. It is genetic according to evidence and I've observed this in my family. (Mental illness/depression runs DEEP in certain parts of my mom's family tree.) My first few years were really really tough. Now though, I know which behavior cycles will make it worse. I know how to eat, exercise, and stay productive. It still drags me down sometimes but I know how to fight it.

My point of all this? In my opinion psychiatry has gone a bit overboard in modern times. Every little thing has some kind of underlying "illness" when in my opinion most people just have their quirks and oddities. Psychiatry is a VERY legit science, but the self-help book market exploits it.

I have however worked with one person who definitely had some issues. He was my best friend for several years in middle school. He would freak out and not talk to me for weeks over the smallest things. He would consistently lie about the smallest things to look cooler in front of whoever he was with. He puts Z-28 tags on his Camaro when in reality it isn't. He tells women he is going to be on MTV reality shows and is studing "Astronomical physics."

He is a really charming and seemingly nice guy when you first meet him. Then after working with him every day for a few months you realize something isn't right. Anyone who met him for the first week would say "He really isn't bad guy." After a couple months they despised him. All he does is start weird lies and drama.

I don't hate him. I don't like him. I pity him. He truly needs help but I want nothing to do with him. The guy will travel from "friend" to "friend" over the course of a year or two. If I do get involved with him again (god forbid) I'm going to confront him and tell him to get help.
8/23/09 5:58 PM
junk

I am one, or at least 60% of that list.....
8/23/09 7:22 PM
annihil8torz

I have known one person that definitely fits the profile of sociopath.  She was a friend of my wife's a long time ago.  This person would suck the life out of someone (emotion, self worth, all friends, money, etc).  I've confronted her on a few occassions on behalf of some of my wife's friends and she just doesn't understand or see what she's doing.  She comes from a very wealthy family which seems to have a lot of emotional issues.  There is no "family connection" between her and them.  She's a sick person and sadly, from what I know...sociopath's don't really have a "recovery".  I could be wrong.
8/23/09 7:51 PM
OsotoGary
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have not, but, everyone I have ever worked with, has.
8/25/09 6:48 PM
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amorphous - I don't want to sound like an armchair psychiatrist or someone who has "done it all" but I'm going to just chip in my .02 :

1. At 24 I've worked in a whole bunch of different industries and have seen lots of different people. Retail, construction, hospitals, warehousing, telemarketing, etc. Certain personality types drift towards different jobs. (No shit huh?)

2. I've had clinical depression since I was about 16. As a result I feel I am much more aware of thought patterns and behavior patterns than the average person. I've come to peace with the fact that it is something I will grapple with the rest of my life. It is genetic according to evidence and I've observed this in my family. (Mental illness/depression runs DEEP in certain parts of my mom's family tree.) My first few years were really really tough. Now though, I know which behavior cycles will make it worse. I know how to eat, exercise, and stay productive. It still drags me down sometimes but I know how to fight it.

My point of all this? In my opinion psychiatry has gone a bit overboard in modern times. Every little thing has some kind of underlying "illness" when in my opinion most people just have their quirks and oddities. Psychiatry is a VERY legit science, but the self-help book market exploits it.

I have however worked with one person who definitely had some issues. He was my best friend for several years in middle school. He would freak out and not talk to me for weeks over the smallest things. He would consistently lie about the smallest things to look cooler in front of whoever he was with. He puts Z-28 tags on his Camaro when in reality it isn't. He tells women he is going to be on MTV reality shows and is studing "Astronomical physics."

He is a really charming and seemingly nice guy when you first meet him. Then after working with him every day for a few months you realize something isn't right. Anyone who met him for the first week would say "He really isn't bad guy." After a couple months they despised him. All he does is start weird lies and drama.

I don't hate him. I don't like him. I pity him. He truly needs help but I want nothing to do with him. The guy will travel from "friend" to "friend" over the course of a year or two. If I do get involved with him again (god forbid) I'm going to confront him and tell him to get help.

Nice post Sir!
8/25/09 6:54 PM
RozCon

Could be passive agressive disorder or personality disorder?  I feel like sociopath is too much of a strong diagnoses.

I have known assholes like this. Heck, I work with one now and sadly, I am one of his targets.
8/25/09 7:10 PM
Chomas
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am like a 75% sociopath
8/25/09 10:15 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Could be passive agressive disorder or personality disorder? I feel like sociopath is too much of a strong diagnoses."

There is no passive-aggressive disorder as of DSM-IV-TR. Sociopathy is the same thing as personality disorder, Antisocial Disorder, specifically.

The diagnostic criteria for "sociopaths" (i.e. Antisocial Personality Disorder) is three or more of the following which do not occur as part of a break or manic episode:

1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
8/25/09 10:26 PM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am the opposite of a sociopath: a faggiopath
8/25/09 10:34 PM
Decepticon

my last boss was. stabbed everyone in the back that stood in his way. fired anyone who disagreed with him. intentionally held off on making any type of decision on anything. "worked" 12 hour days but somehow nothing ever got done. would test people by calling them into the HR director's office and threatening to fire them if they said they didn't want to be there. lied openly to the owner and faked inflated revenue figures. read everyone's company AND personal emails. and the best thing I learned this last week is he has boner pills sent to his office. MAN that was the best day on earth when i resigned.
8/25/09 10:34 PM
Decepticon

my last boss was. stabbed everyone in the back that stood in his way. fired anyone who disagreed with him. intentionally held off on making any type of decision on anything. "worked" 12 hour days but somehow nothing ever got done. would test people by calling them into the HR director's office and threatening to fire them if they said they didn't want to be there. lied openly to the owner and faked inflated revenue figures. read everyone's company AND personal emails. and the best thing I learned this last week is he has boner pills sent to his office. MAN that was the best day on earth when i resigned.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.