UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> ever work with a sociopath?

8/25/09 11:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kinetsu Hayabusa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smichal - You can't play their game and have to basically call them on it. Even if it's uncomfortable...the'll get defensive, but there seems to be no other way in many occassions.

yep, i agree 100%
8/26/09 12:29 AM
mini monst
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/26/09 4:00 AM
I've worked with this guy 'Rob' for about 6 years who must be some type of sociopath or corporate psychopath. Some of the stunts he's pulled over the years blow my mind.

He's an untrustworthy backstabbing liar but nearly everyone finds him very charming and persuasive when they first meet him. However no one who's worked with him for more than a month would p!ss on him if he was on fire.

Rob will lie about anything and everything, even if he seems to get no benefit from lying. He also lies about things that are quite easy to check up on and prove him wrong, but doesn't seem to care. For example a few times I saw him drive to work and park in the carpark, but then later in the day I overheared him telling someone some story about how he rode the bus to work that day.

Some of his lies are so stupid and so easily disproven that it's almost as if he is daring you to call him out on it. Or thinks you are an idiot for beleiving him.

There is no value to his word. He will agree to do something in conversation then will deny that you even discussed it the next day. After being stung by that a few times I make sure all my correspondance with him is via email so I have proof.

Rob is always claiming to be overworked and claiming he's had to stay back after hours to catch up on work, but never seems to have any work output. He has a number of scams that he pulls to trick people into doing work that he's meant to be doing or to claim credit for other peoples work.

Rob will shaft ANYONE in the company if it benefits him or if he thinks he can get away with it, even his own low level management.

Rob is an emotional faker. He will act extremley angry and yell in peoples faces on moment then cry the next if it helps him get his own way.

Rob has am incredible short term memory. He will read a book on a topic and will be able to quote it back to you like as if he wrote it himself. He has used this skill to derail a number of projects by pretending to be an expert on a subject he know little about. When I first met him I thought he was smart as fcuk but then realised it was all short term parrot learning. He couldn't discuss topics in depth and if you quizzed him on the same topic weeks or months later he would have completely forgotten everything he knew about them.

As far as I can tell Rob's gotten away with his behaviour mainly for two reasons. He's based at a remote office of a big company with no direct management supervision. He was just starting to fall foul of management about two years ago when we had a big management purge and Rob's entire management chain was changed, effectively wiping his slate clean.

He's also an expert at hiding behind corporate policies and procedures, and has faked health problems and stress a number of times. Management may be too scared to deal with him as to risk being sued.
8/26/09 9:06 AM
Decepticon

Kinetsu Hayabusa - 
smichal - You can't play their game and have to basically call them on it. Even if it's uncomfortable...the'll get defensive, but there seems to be no other way in many occassions.

yep, i agree 100%

The problem with this is when you call them out you need hard evidence - tape recordings or emails, video etc. and you need people to back you up. A sociopath's M.O. is to come up with something more preposterous then the next so unless you are prepared to back up your claims or your call outs good luck. The person making the false claim is often given more credit then the denier.
8/26/09 9:06 AM
Decepticon

Kinetsu Hayabusa - 

yep, i agree 100%

The problem with this is when you call them out you need hard evidence - tape recordings or emails, video etc. and you need people to back you up. A sociopath's M.O. is to come up with something more preposterous then the next so unless you are prepared to back up your claims or your call outs good luck. The person making the false claim is often given more credit then the denier.
8/26/09 10:04 AM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

indeed, decepticon
8/26/09 7:08 PM
RozCon

The Mat Pimp - "Could be passive agressive disorder or personality disorder? I feel like sociopath is too much of a strong diagnoses."

There is no passive-aggressive disorder as of DSM-IV-TR. Sociopathy is the same thing as personality disorder, Antisocial Disorder, specifically.

The diagnostic criteria for "sociopaths" (i.e. Antisocial Personality Disorder) is three or more of the following which do not occur as part of a break or manic episode:

1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

Oh snap.  Well thanks for clearing that up.
8/26/09 7:11 PM
RozCon

So do sociopaths get married, have children, etc.?  I know someone that fits this discription, except he has kids and a wife (although she is subordonnant).  He is all around glib with everyone though.
8/26/09 7:29 PM
Master Bedar

Fraser - I am the opposite of a sociopath: a faggiopath

LMAO

TTT for pecker stories
8/26/09 7:54 PM
stat46

I have met people who fit the personality traits listed in the DSM hand book but won't speculate them because I am no expert.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not always the "quiet" ones you have to look out for.
8/26/09 8:58 PM
LEMon
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/26/09 9:21 PM
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was a mid-50's ish waiter at the restaurant I worked at. A super "charming" but ultimately scary English guy.

He would boldly pocket all kinds of cash around the place. Not too hard to do there, but he was a master and was SO believable when he lied about it, you doubted yourself.

He was EXTRAORDINARILY well educated and knowledgeable person. But he would ask me creepy questions like: "Do you know who this is?" and he would show me a scrap of paper with some pre-teen pop star on it and ask me where to get their music. He would say a "friend was talking about it"

Gordon Ramsay?!!
8/26/09 9:49 PM
dennis5
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/26/09 9:59 PM
The Mat Pimp
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"So do sociopaths get married, have children, etc.? I know someone that fits this discription, except he has kids and a wife (although she is subordonnant). He is all around glib with everyone though."

Absolutely they can have families, social relationships, etc. People are a means to an end for them. It's also worth remembering that everyone has some sociopathic impulses, but these people represent the extreme of that continuum.
8/27/09 12:03 AM
hey mes
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/27/09 6:54 AM
Devlyn

Don't think I've worked with any, but that definition sounds like every girl I've ever dated.
8/27/09 8:28 AM
fokket

hot
8/27/09 8:28 AM
fokket

hot
8/27/09 11:43 AM
RozCon

The Mat Pimp - "So do sociopaths get married, have children, etc.? I know someone that fits this discription, except he has kids and a wife (although she is subordonnant). He is all around glib with everyone though."

Absolutely they can have families, social relationships, etc. People are a means to an end for them. It's also worth remembering that everyone has some sociopathic impulses, but these people represent the extreme of that continuum.
Wow, that is scary shit.

8/28/09 3:29 AM
MarcoH

I read the definition on page 1 and I automatically thought of my wife's exhusband.  Everything fit to a T except for the criminal (juvenile/adult) part.  I asked her about it and she didn't know if he had a juvi record.  He was physically abusive towards her (even while she was preagnant) and he tried to run her over with a car once with his car door open and their son in the backseat without a seat belt.  That's the only police report she ever filed.

I read her the defenition tonight on page 1 and she said her ex fit every single description. 

Examples:
He lies about where he went to school (claims SMU).

Lies about what high school he went to (claims he was part of Odessa Permina when they were winning TX high school state championships).

Claims to be Italian and he's Mexican.

Claims to have played semi-pro baseball/minor leagues.

He is Catholic but joined a non-denominational Christian church so he could get a discount on the kids tuition.

This is the type of bullshit he pulls on my step-sons:

1.  Last summer he promised to take them to California or Florida.  Then when he had them for the summer he asked them are you sure you want to take a 18 hour drive out of state or should I buy you season ticket passes to Six Flags.  They chose Six Flags and he never bought them the passes!

2.  This summer he promised to take them to Sea World.  Well once they are with him he asks them if they would rather go to Sea World or get a PS3.  They choose a PS3.  He never bougth them one!

3.  The oldest turned 9 years old and he came to pick him up to take out for his b-day.  Took him to McD for dinner and walked around Walmart but never bought him anything for his b-day.

I hate that MotherFU**ER!
9/5/09 12:56 AM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

Edited: 09/05/09 11:48 AM
snip
9/5/09 1:41 AM
DuSmiEthwhi

So your Socio boss is trying to cover up the incident because he didn't respond to the customers calls.
9/5/09 3:41 AM
ouchthathurts
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive come across a few in ministry myself and you soon realize that they got the revelation that their ultimate goals could be achieved by starting a church with weak people under them. this affirms all of their grandiose ideas of themself. when other pastors confront the socio the socio is clueless as to what they are doing or pretends to be clueless. i think that they have an ability to change and distort memories and are convinced that the new memory is the real one.
9/5/09 11:52 AM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

DuSmiEthwhi - So your Socio boss is trying to cover up the incident because he didn't respond to the customers calls.
nah, i think you read it wrong

bossman (who is two levels above me) called me to take care of the issue that socio was ignoring.

socio is a level over me, but reports directly to bossman
9/5/09 11:55 AM
Kinetsu Hayabusa

ouchthathurts - ive come across a few in ministry myself and you soon realize that they got the revelation that their ultimate goals could be achieved by starting a church with weak people under them. this affirms all of their grandiose ideas of themself. when other pastors confront the socio the socio is clueless as to what they are doing or pretends to be clueless. i think that they have an ability to change and distort memories and are convinced that the new memory is the real one.
very interesting, ouch.  seems that a church leader would be a wet dream for a sociopath

do they succeed as pastors?  are they able to continually dupe their followers?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.