UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Tuner Recommendation (Live)

8/24/09 5:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/24/09 5:39 PM

Can anyone recommend a good tuner for a live setting. Not wanting to spend more than a 100 if possible.

For some reason I'm playing bass for this cover band and they go back and forth between standard, dropped C etc. I have this piece of shit tuner that wont tune to C and is in general a pain in the ass to get to register the note quickly. Need something that will detune accurately and something with a good display or presets so that I can tune quick.

8/27/09 11:04 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/30/09 2:15 AM
boss..
8/28/09 11:21 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boss TU 2.
8/30/09 2:15 AM
sreiter

thats the one
8/30/09 12:07 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on your rig.

If you are able to be near the amp to do your quick tuning during a gig, then you have a lot more options.

If not, then a stomp box tuner with a very visible led would be the ticket.
9/3/09 1:32 AM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Korg Pitchblack
9/3/09 11:14 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the korg too. Easy to read. I have a couple of headstock tuners I use (intelli) besides my TU2.
9/8/09 9:51 AM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks guys, going with the TU-2
9/8/09 11:34 AM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boss is coming out with two new tuners this year in about your price range, check 'em out. I always favored the TU-12H with the needle indicator.
9/9/09 9:33 AM
The Kangaroo

Racer X -  Boss is coming out with two new tuners this year in about your price range, check 'em out. I always favored the TU-12H with the needle indicator.

will do. gotta get something for gigs this weekend, but I will check those out. considered the tu-12 with accu pitch but settled for something stomp box-ish. will probably buy both eventually and see which one I prefer. though I'll wait to see these new ones.
9/10/09 10:57 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you can get a Pitchblack for $70 new (with rebate) at MF...it's superior to the Boss, imo-
9/10/09 11:36 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rex's 2 cents:

I use the Peterson Virtual strobe and consider it to be the be all end all of tuners currently available.

NOTHING can match the precision of strobe style scrolling tuning. when it stops moving, you are in tune. Programmed for just tempered tuning as well as adjustable for various other temperaments. It's just freaky what it can do. Stomp box version available.
This is the one I use:

This is the stomp box version:

ANd the Stroboflip:

end thread.....

9/11/09 1:25 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/09 1:25 AM
What about getting a cheap bass, tuning it differently, and use it for whatever tuning has the least amount of songs?
9/11/09 2:04 AM
Racer X

Edited: 09/12/09 12:45 PM
Ponyboy - What about getting a cheap bass, tuning it differently, and use it for whatever tuning has the least amount of songs?

Interesting question. You could get a $150 I banez bass and leave it in the low tuning.

Most tuners will work well if you tune the 12th fret harmonic instead of the open string on a bass.

9/14/09 1:20 AM
sreiter

racer - i have use the same perterson as you. i actually like my boos tu 2

many people still say the conn strobe is the best
9/14/09 10:47 AM
Racer X

The Conn strobe I used for a while needed regular recalibration, it was a pain in the ass. However it was accurate once you got it in tune.
9/16/09 8:43 AM
The Kangaroo

Update... played out first two gigs last weekend. Used the TU-2, worked like a champ. Didnt take over 60 seconds to get into any tuning.

As for getting a second bass...

I'm a guitar player first and foremost. I'm not putting any more money into a bass setup then absolutely neccesary. I'm using a friends cheap bass. I'm going to buy a Fender Jazz since this looks like it will be a regular gig, but I'm not looking for a second axe. I hate carrying extra shit to gigs as well. I like being able to pack up one instrument and an "oh shit" bag and nothing else. Also, and most importantly, I've gotten these fuckers to block songs off by tuning. We started with standard, then went to E flat, then dropped D, then C. That makes the need to tune quickly really moot since each set really only has one tuning break. They were alternating back and forth multiple times in set which I let them know was completely ridiculous.

Now I need to find a really nice bass fuzz pedal. I spent 40 on the DS-1 distortion pedal and while it gets some cool tones, it doesnt get the low end fuzz I'm really after. The Ds-1 is hard to adjust to get the bass to sound like a bass. It is a guitar pedal first though.
9/16/09 11:09 AM
Racer X

Perhaps a Hipshot detuner would simplify/speed drop tuning. Many players use one on the low E for drop D tuning, but if you are dropping multiple intervals it probably  wouldn't help much.

Cool device,though. It allows a fairly precise half or whole step drop RIGHT NOW, flick of the switch.

9/22/09 12:43 PM
Hillbilly

Racer X -  Perhaps a Hipshot detuner would simplify/speed drop tuning. Many players use one on the low E for drop D tuning, but if you are dropping multiple intervals it probably  wouldn't help much.

Cool device,though. It allows a fairly precise half or whole step drop RIGHT NOW, flick of the switch.

Looks like a spin-off of the Scruggs style tuners for banjo.
9/23/09 12:52 AM
Racer X

Hillbilly - 
Racer X -  Perhaps a Hipshot detuner would simplify/speed drop tuning. Many players use one on the low E for drop D tuning, but if you are dropping multiple intervals it probably  wouldn't help much.

Looks like a spin-off of the Scruggs style tuners for banjo.
Same effect, different method.

Personally, I like the Banjo tuner stops better. May not hit quite as accurate, but you can use the drop in a musical way. Harder to do with the D-tuner. Scruggs tuner can almost act like the pedals on a steel guitar.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.