UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Barefoot running?

8/24/09 8:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigjohnstud
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone ever try the Vibram Five Finger running shoes? (if you want to call them shoes) I've read there is a barefoot running movement where they claim it is better not to heel strike when you run, but run on the mid and front of your foot. I am thinking about doing an experiment and trying it.
8/24/09 9:28 PM
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CrossFit Los Angeles, Program Director
Check out Pose Method of running or Chi Running. If you think back to when you were a kid running barefoot, or watch people who grow up running barefoot, they strike with the ball of their foot, not the heel. Heel striking is something that cushy athletic shoes have enabled us to do, but it's also very hard on your joints and not as efficient.

I have a LOT of students who wear the Vibrams and like them. If you get them, remember to ease into them slowly or you can cause yourself stress fractures by using them too much before your feet are strengthened up. Also, if you're one of those pepole with a longer second toe than first toe, you can't wear them.
8/25/09 2:28 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Longest I've ran in my Vibrams was 5k.

BTW RingGirl - there are studies out there which question the efficiency of Pose and Chi running. Might be healthier but more efficient? Maybe not.
8/25/09 3:18 AM
androushka
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big John, the first time you take a walk on asphalt in Vibrams, you'll probably feel like an idiot leaning backwards and stomping your heels into the ground. Just keep an open mind and your body will automatically take you back to a natural walking-groove. Start with short walks and build up gradually, your feet won't have the strength to brace and bounce the way they're supposed to in the beginning. Barefoot walking/running is awesome.
8/25/09 5:31 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did I mention the 5k was on asphalt / stone?

But yes... Vibrams are awesome.
8/25/09 3:15 PM
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have a link to the interview? I'd love to read it, because everything I've read says they may work if you buy the shoes a size too big...but then, you've shoes that are too big! They also say right on their site that you may have difficultly finding a proper fit if you have Morton's toe.

For me, I have it, and there's no f'ing way my toes are fitting in those things. I wish they could - I want to try them!
8/25/09 5:13 PM
Leigh
827 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never heard of them but the reviews here seem positive. Unfortunately you cannot buy them direct from the sweat-shop on eBay for 1/3 the price :(
8/26/09 6:51 AM
ElPapaya

What if the the big toe is the one thats to short and not the other way around?
8/26/09 9:32 AM
Ring Girl

That's what we're talking about Papaya - when the 2nd toe is longer than the first.
8/26/09 1:31 PM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the website, if your second toe is 1/6 th of an inch longer than your big toe, they won't fit.
8/27/09 8:10 AM
TrunkMonkey

bigjohnstud - Anyone ever try the Vibram Five Finger running shoes? (if you want to call them shoes) I've read there is a barefoot running movement where they claim it is better not to heel strike when you run, but run on the mid and front of your foot. I am thinking about doing an experiment and trying it.

I have a pair and absolutley love them!!! but wouldnt sugesst rolling or ground gaming with them! but anything else they are fantastic!!!
8/28/09 11:57 AM
bigjohnstud

Ran with them for the first time today. Did 2 miles and I liked them. I do notice my calves are sore now. The Vibrams demand that you use your calves much more to absorb the force of impact instead of your heel. I'll get use to it. I'm probably going to alternate them with my normal sneakers for a few weeks. But, so far, so good!
8/29/09 1:20 AM
Eddy Payeur
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/29/09 6:42 AM
TerreM

If you are barefoot at home ala Japanese style home, would you get the benefit without buying the shoes?
8/29/09 1:06 PM
androushka
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TerreM, to some extent, but IMO there's still a huge benefit to actually getting the shoes. You don't walk fast enough indoors.
8/30/09 5:22 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ring Girl - 
I have a LOT of students who wear the Vibrams and like them.

What model of vibram five fingers do they use? Which do they prefer?
8/30/09 6:56 PM
Ring Girl

I've seen students wear the classic, sprint and KSO models. The sprint is probably the most popular.

Things I've heard in general:

-People don't buy the classics because they are nervous they won't stay on well, but I've never seen anyone have theirs fall off.

-Sprints are probably the most popular, but if you're running in sand or gravel they collect inside the shoe.

-KSOs keep all the elements out, but get stinky FAST.
9/3/09 4:51 PM
Atecexa

just run totally barefoot on a football field
9/10/09 11:07 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in Portland, Maine last weekend and bought the sprints. As soon as I got home I unpacked my suitcase and then went for a 5.2km run on concrete. I had zero problems with my feet. I think the fact that I wear loose fitting flat soled shoes might have helped me make the transition.
9/10/09 11:13 PM
molsonman

Edited: 09/10/09 11:15 PM
Also my back felt fine after the run and my knees didn't feel like jelly. When I go for a forced run I normally wear running shoes. After the run is finished my knees feel like they have been bashed up a bit. With the Sprints I had zero knee or back pain. I did feel a little soreness in my calf muscles.
9/11/09 10:33 PM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^That has been my experience, as well.

I've been running exclusively in my vibrams for a couple of weeks now, this is the first time in years I've been able to make running a staple without some type of nagging joint pain (it's been replaced with calf pain, lol). It's been great for building up my calves, as well.
9/14/09 5:31 PM
Ring Girl

We have a blog up today on my gym's website about Vibrams and how to adapt to them.  So if anyone is interested in some tips and following a discussion amongst a bunch of people that use Vibrams, go here:

http://www.crossfitla.com/cms/index.php

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.