UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Game Theorists, Nerds: Deal or No Deal

8/25/09 11:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, friends.
My wife has a chance to appear on "Deal Or No Deal" soon.
I'm trying to think of how to analyze the "offers" from the office.

I'm thinking that the standard would be to sum the remaining amounts, divide by the number of cases left, and that's my "average winnings". Now, the offer can be taken as a percentage of that average, and obviously the higher a percentage, the better.

Now, is there any other way I should be thinking about this game?
8/26/09 6:14 PM
OriginalFLUFfer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool! Willy, there is most certainly an optimal strategy - you just either need to find it or figure it out yourself. Play with all of the odds and try to see which is the most reward for the smallest risk. I am sure that you can help her go in with a great strategy!
9/3/09 8:49 AM
Willybone
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/03/09 8:49 AM
Awesome.

Damn, I hope she gets a chance to play.
I'll know next week. 
9/3/09 8:53 AM
Vulva Fabulous
785 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy crap Willy!!! Good luck from me and the mrs! Anyway, that's the way I would approuch it. Add the amounts and divide by the amount of cases to come up with a legit offer. Only thing is if she's holding a million and .01 and they offer 400,000, its too much to risk, know what I mean? Either way, let me know how it goes and if it airs!
9/3/09 12:22 PM
LiveWire
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willybone - Awesome.

Damn, I hope she gets a chance to play.
I'll know next week. 

What's the process for getting on the show?
9/11/09 1:57 PM
Willybone

Hers was a special deal. They're doing a special on firefighters. So they put out a call in the local cities.
She's very pretty and bubbly, with a knack for getting emotional and choked up under pressure, so she was sure thing.
9/21/09 3:46 PM
tmr
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So? Did she get on it or is it still in the future? i don't watch the show but always do support a fellow UGer!
9/27/09 12:05 AM
Willybone

Edited: 09/27/09 12:44 AM
So, I drove my wife to the filming at 8am, in the middle of nowhere, CT (which is still quite lovely btw I do love the land of my home state). (anyway)
They said they weren't filming her until 2pm, but my daughter and I could watch another four tapings if we wanted. So, we were in the audience for 9 episodes in camera shot for every one. I'm wearing a red shirt and black tie, grey hair, applauding like it's fucking Shakespeare and laughing like it's Python. They loved me.
Anyway, the wife does become one of the 22 people holding the cases. But...
See, they had her sign a waiver declaring she couldn't say crap about anything except she'd be on the show until the show airs, and then she can say if she played, or won anything, or didn't... So, she can't say anything.
But, I saw the taping and I didn't sign a waver and I know if she played or didn't.
But, her waiver was nasty. Litiginous and barky.
So, I can't say if she played or didn't.

But, my ass is on the TV for 9 whole days. Right there behind the contestants. Looking good.
You know you want to see that. Over lunch. For two weeks straight.
And for the Firefighters Special week, my gorgeous wife is right there, being adorable and whatnot with her long, dark, wavy hair, blue eyes, and "Do you think this makes me look like a dyke?" full dress uniform.
Mrs. Willybone. In the game.

I went on the NBC website like they told me, but I can't find an upcoming show schedule.
I'll keep checking.
After it airs, I can tell you if she won any money or even played.

(Please look for my upcoming threads "PS3. Ain't getting one" and "How do you make an old truck last longer?")

9/27/09 1:22 AM
tmr
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool! Good luck to your "not competing wife" that I haven't read about!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.