UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Scent lok for deer hunting?

8/27/09 3:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bodookie50
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at Bass pro looking at new gear for bow season and I was wondering about scent lok clothing. Is worth the money? I have never used it previously and was wondering if anyone on here has noticed a major difference
8/27/09 3:49 PM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO its to expensive and they also advise to use cover scent as well. I archery on the ground and last year useing a realtree paintball jersey, walmart hunting pants, and a camo face covering. and used primos silver xp and had deer litereally walking feet in front of me. they couldnt make out what i was yet couldnt smell me to determine if i was a threat. so i assume its just preference with hunting but i dont think anything beats a good cover scent. hope this helps.
8/27/09 4:07 PM
bodookie50
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am leaning to agree with you. And  IMO if the wind is working against you your pretty much f'd anyway
8/27/09 4:10 PM
Muppetmower88

haha right. the only thing i look for in hunting clothing is warmth. i swear by the silver xp though
8/27/09 4:15 PM
bodookie50

Ever hear of or use deer dander? I have heard good things, might try it
8/27/09 4:16 PM
Muppetmower88

no ill have to check that out. im always looking for new things to get that extra edge.
8/28/09 7:38 PM
jscorbett
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used a scent lok suit like a decade ago and had zero (0) luck. I believe it concentrates your smell like a hose does a stream of water.

This is just my .02 and may not be worth a darn.
11/19/09 12:37 AM
MakeItRain

When people learn that Carbon cannot be re-activated, then Scent-Lok will go out of business.
11/19/09 10:32 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wash my hunting clothes the night before with a nonscented soap and take a shower with ivory or something and changeRIGHT before I go out.. Deer can smell something like 350 yards, so yeah if the wind is wrong you are fucked.
11/20/09 8:39 AM
gsx_r

I don't buy into it. I'd rather just wash my cloths in unscented soap and use some cover scent.

biggest deer(s) I've ever seen killed were all killed by some back woods guy with a cigar out one side of his mouth so he could drink coffee with the other side. He just knew where to sit and get lucky. IMO where you sit in the woods counts more then everything else combined.
11/21/09 4:27 PM
BackStep

I got a scent lok setup for a decent price at dicks. I've never sweated so much in gear. It was a warm day but I was soaked.
11/23/09 2:34 PM
MakeItRain

BackStep - I got a scent lok setup for a decent price at dicks. I've never sweated so much in gear. It was a warm day but I was soaked.

Thats why I wear Under Armour for hunting when its Warm. Just spray down with Eliminix to keep the scent off.

I'll tell you a secret to deer hunting. Play the Wind. If you can, use a Spruce tree to climb. They will hide your scent. But you have to cut a lot of limbs to use a climbing stnad.
10/1/10 1:49 PM
Kumite4

My buddy has relatives that wont even step into the woods if they arent wearing scentlok from head to toe. I cant stand these anal douchebags. For this reason alone I wont wear it. I kill just as many deer as they do and probably more.
10/5/10 2:01 PM
Muppetmower88

interesting about the scent lok since they are in court for being proven none effective in eliminating scent. you should bring this to there attention. im sure this will shut them up.
10/29/10 1:48 AM
enykamp

One of the biggest scams to hit the outdoor world ever. Like the above post mentioned, court cases pending and other issues because of misleading advertising.
11/7/10 8:33 AM
kin9ofdaburbs
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just wear a surplus NBC suit i bought off ebay for $30 and leave it outside the night before.  That with some sent spray and your all set. 
3/25/11 2:55 PM
Focker101
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with the general consensus, I own tons of scentlok gear.
I've been busted, while head to toe in scentlok gear.
I don't care what anyone tells you, it wont make or break your hunt.
Scent cover spray will make or break your hunt. good scent cover spray will save you in poor wind conditions.
personally I use Scent Killer spray ( I will try the silver XP, I swear by every piece of Primos gear I own )
I disdain the dead down winds crap, I had never been busted in my stand so many times as the season I tried that crap.

I wear scent blocker Team realtree road trips gear early season ( I wear it for the fit, not the scent blocking properties although I originally purchased it for scentblocking).
Arctic shield H3 gear late season ( My cousin has Under Armor cold weather gear and it is worth the money )

My system I only bow hunt, so all of this is designed for treestand hunting.
All of my external hunting clothes only get worn in the field to and from my treestand ( I carry my coat in a backpack until I get in my stand, sweating on the way to your stand will never help you )
All of my clothing are washed in scent away laundry soap.
In the morning I bathe entirely in scent away products. scent away deodorant.
before leaving the truck I spray down everything going to the stand with me.
Like makeitrain almost all of my stands are in Pine tree's ( they also prevent silhouetting in the late season )
play the wind, hunt your best stand in the best conditions take scent control precautions and you will be rewarded.
Big bucks that know they are being hunted are tremendously more difficult to kill.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.