UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Geek ground sketch thread.

2/23/13 4:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
N9K
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks! That's a tattoo design. Someone actually got that on their chest. The other side of it is a demon being struck by the lightning bolt. Not quite as good as the Zeus. I'll try to find it....
2/25/13 6:54 PM
Dos Huevos Gigante
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/26/13 5:02 AM
Dos Huevos Gigante
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/10/13 6:45 PM
RedDragonUK
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T shirt designs I'm working on. MMA robots.

6/16/13 9:07 AM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread. Anybody draw on their ipad? I've been using adobe ideas. Loving it.
6/18/13 1:51 PM
RedDragonUK
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep and eye out on http://pugilistics.com

as I will have some MMA Art prints on there soon.

I should be doing more MMA comic work soon for a particular website which I will divulge later down the line, I will put some of my process on here and sketches and possibly layouts. It may interest some of you. 

6/19/13 8:21 AM
StevetheWeasel
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice work RD. Look forward to seeing more.

The past semester kept me from doing much drawing aside from that of the architectural variety. But I've got a couple newer sketches I'll try to get up here later.
6/19/13 10:54 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice thread...I'll post some stuff for you guys soon.
9/25/13 8:44 PM
RedDragonUK

ttt
10/23/13 1:06 AM
Macleod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im bumping this.

I dont know how, but I have never seen this thread before. Some of you guys are damn amazing artists. I'm blown away. Would take me hours to quote each individual pic.

I want to learn to draw so badly. I'm 32 and feel it might be a bit late to actually get good at it. I have a few books but its really hard to get started. I can't help but just try to copy pictures instead of doing "exercise" type of drawings.

My dream is to be able to draw and write my own comic just for fun. I don't care how basic.

Some of these drawings look like they were done completely on the computer, or at least coloured on a PC. Do a lot of you guys use drawing tablets? which ones?

I saw this thing called a Cintiq and it blew my mind. Very cool device but I have a hard time seeing myself needing something like that.
10/23/13 1:11 AM
Macleod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hemlock -  

I love this one one RDUK. What you call a "for fun" sketch I think looks fucking amazing.
10/23/13 1:12 AM
Macleod

YVEL MACHIDA -  For RDUK

Phone Post

This one too. Totally reminds me of the old turtles comics.
10/23/13 1:19 AM
Macleod

N9K - Drawing I've been working on.

Couple close ups

wow. Can't even imagine taking on a project like that. Amazing work dude.
10/23/13 1:23 AM
Macleod

StevetheWeasel - 
RedDragonUK - Steve, nice work thanks for sharing. Hey graph paper is great for perspective uses dont knock it lol

Thanks, Red, I've been having fun drawing between my classes, thus the graph paper. Here's another one did the other day.

Photobucket

Someday, I'll be wealthy enough to afford actual art supplies again.

Nice work on Rich Franklinstein, BTW, that's great.

I like this one.

I like the way you color all of these. Just has a good vibe. The fact that you can draw something this cool between classes, like it doesn't even take an effort, makes me unbelievably jealous.
10/23/13 8:51 AM
RedDragonUK

Macleod - Im bumping this.

I dont know how, but I have never seen this thread before. Some of you guys are damn amazing artists. I'm blown away. Would take me hours to quote each individual pic.

I want to learn to draw so badly. I'm 32 and feel it might be a bit late to actually get good at it. I have a few books but its really hard to get started. I can't help but just try to copy pictures instead of doing "exercise" type of drawings.

My dream is to be able to draw and write my own comic just for fun. I don't care how basic.

Some of these drawings look like they were done completely on the computer, or at least coloured on a PC. Do a lot of you guys use drawing tablets? which ones?

I saw this thing called a Cintiq and it blew my mind. Very cool device but I have a hard time seeing myself needing something like that.
Hey thanks for the props. So We maybe able to help with you drawing a comic. It's never too late to start if its something you enjoy doing.

Have you done any sketches you can share? Don't be worried about criticism at this point we will only give constructive and helpful tips to try and make you a stronger artist.

Materials such as a cintaq dont matter at this point, i coloured with a mouse for years and still do sometimes. Learning to paint with primary colours with coloured pencil or markers,watercolours or whatever is a great way to learn colour theory if you dont have photoshop or an art programme.

I cant post everything in this post but I will try helping you. Which artists have you been copying? (Please no Liefeld) ha ha Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 9:27 AM
StevetheWeasel
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, Macleod. And, Ditto on what RDUK said.

You can always learn. And while some people might have an easier time or higher aptitude for drawing, it's a skill like any other, and something you can certainly learn and improve on. throughout childhood and high school, I was always recognized for how well I could draw without any real effort, but looking back on some of the stuff I did before I really trained myself properly, it's clear that aptitude only gets one so far.

So, if you feel like posting anything, that would be a great place to start. There's a lot of collective experience and training present on this thread.
10/23/13 3:17 PM
Macleod

Ok I'll post a few sketches I have.  Basically just copied these from random places.  Batman TAS dvd box, Clone Wars Animated DVD box, the original one, for Anakin.  The Joker and Batman I cant remember exactly where I copied them from, I did those on my last stint at trying to learn.

The Batman sketch is by far the best thing I have drawn, I think I just got a bit lucky.

Im not sensitive so actual honesty is appreciated....dont need anyone just blowing smoke. I think I can handle it.

Sorry about the bad quality I just snapped pics with my phone.  I will try to remember to hook up my scanner later.

10/23/13 3:22 PM
Macleod

The thing is I seem to need a model of some type to have a chance at doing anything decent.

Whenever I just draw from my mind it never works out and I can get discouraged.

I start to feel guilty though when I copy something, like Im not actually drawing at all.

It just seems to be easier to learn that way. I figure if I can draw Batman or whoever from other pictures a few hundred times then eventually I can do it from scratch.
10/24/13 10:17 AM
RedDragonUK

Ok so firstly EVERYONE copied somebody at sometime to learn. Its just how it works, guys like Greg Land and Liefeld still trace other peoples work now lol.

Dont be discouraged or afraid of it to begin with. I will give you some examples of things to copy to help you out and if you dont mind posting the results here i will give you feedback. The main thing is to not worry about getting it wrong as we begin we can deal with mistakes.

So i'm suggesting you do one of two things, buy Burne Hogarths dynamic anatomy book or get it from a library OR get a friend or girlfriend in real life to pose for you and Id like a 60 sec sketch,10 min sketch and a 20 min sketch if you can get them to pose that long.

We will work on structure and composition with these exercises so basically 3 sketches the 20 min one put as much detail in as you like.

Anyone else who wants to join in feel free. I'll give you feedback on these sketches when I get chance. Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 1:36 PM
StevetheWeasel

Edited: 10/24/13 1:36 PM

^ This is good advice. Hogarth's books do a good job of explaining the ratios and proportions of human anatomy in an easy to understand way.

Of course, figures are just one small part of drawing. But, learning to understand measurements and ratios is applicable to a lot of other things, as well. Already in copying other work, you've likely had to recognize that, say, Batman's nose to his chin is about the same as the distance from his nose to the top of his head. 

A huge part of being able to draw is taking the time, or just the effort, to analyze your subject. People get in too big a hurry to get to the flash and the details, when the real importance lies in creating a solid map/plan/foundation for your piece. 

In my own drawing, I think I hold four  things as priorities: Proportion, perspective, lighting, and texture. 

Proportion relates to what I described above. If Batman's hands, or a car's wheels are 2/3 the size they should be, it will immediately stand out.

Perspective is vital in relating figures/objects to the viewer and to each other. When it is not done properly, things will seem jarring and unbelievable. 

Lighting (and shadow) define how we see images. We usually abstract while drawing (there are no black lines around my hands as I type this), but still follow some basic rules. Know ahead of time where the light is coming from in a drawing, how powerful the source is, and how distant the souce is. There may be multiple sources. There may be atmospheric considerations. Hogarth actually has a really decent book on light and shadow, as well.

Texture is what gives any figure or material its identity. Roughness, glossiness, wrinkling, etc. are the qualities that make a character or scene truly believable. When done properly, good textures can make a drawing really convincing, and keep it from looking like a bad model of simple form.

You seem to have a reasonable eye for this stuff, and there's no reason you can't get to be really good. But it does take a lot of exercise and learning the processes and nuts and bolts before you can just start quiclky sketching stuff out and have it look good. If I can jot out a decent looking Hulk or Wolverine without much effort, it's only because I've done some variation of that drawing or its component parts a couple hundred times before.

10/24/13 6:17 PM
RedDragonUK

Macleod - 

Ok I'll post a few sketches I have.  Basically just copied these from random places.  Batman TAS dvd box, Clone Wars Animated DVD box, the original one, for Anakin.  The Joker and Batman I cant remember exactly where I copied them from, I did those on my last stint at trying to learn.

The Batman sketch is by far the best thing I have drawn, I think I just got a bit lucky.

Im not sensitive so actual honesty is appreciated....dont need anyone just blowing smoke. I think I can handle it.

Sorry about the bad quality I just snapped pics with my phone.  I will try to remember to hook up my scanner later.

Okay so a break down of what we have here, Steve's done an excellent job of talking about fundamentals like perspective and drapery and textures.

Those will definitely be explored as we go along and I will eventually build up to a sequential page so we can get this comic dream going but first things first we need to start with structure and forms before surface details.

How to draw the Marvel way is a fantastic resource to learn blocks and shapes to go hand in hand with Burne Hogarth's book.

Every artist draws shapes BEFORE doing musculature and clothing etc, the only guys that don't (DIDNT) are masters like Joe Kubert and Jean Giraud RIP who have been in the game for decades and even then they still will for some things.

It's hard for me to critique these as they are copies but from what I can see you have a good eye and it's only details like the hands and anatomy that are a bit off e.g. wide shoulders.

There is no presence of line weight either so we will go into that also so we can represent where a light source is or how near an object or person is, these are all inking specialities too but will make you a better penciller and artist for it.

Practice drawing a nice smooth line with the pencil rather than sketchy jagged lines, when you start to draw it look at where the line ends and move with the wrist almost as id the elbow is a pivot, it should help with getting a nice clean line, this also comes in hand inking.

I hope some of this helps and Isn't sounding harsh,I don't see any reason at all why we can't get you drawing a comic eventually. Thank you for sharing you're work It's the biggest step done with :)
10/24/13 7:57 PM
Macleod

Thanks to both you guys, RDUK and Steve for all the input.

You are not being too harsh. Shit, you barely criticized them at all. I don't know what I'm doing yet so its not like I expected to be good at it.

I have How to Draw the Marvel way. Think its time to give it a more serious look. And I will look into the Hogarth book you mentioned.

I have a very basic understanding of perspective and lighting, but it gets confusing to actually try and apply it.

I think learning to draw the human anatomy accurately will be my biggest hurdle. Every time I start to read about it, it just gets overwhelming. Makes me feel like I need to be a biologist or something before I can just draw a super hero.

I have done a couple more drawings out of one instructional book I have. Where you start with 2 circles and 2 squares or whatever then slowly add lines and turn it into an actual picture. They came out fairly decent.

Im feeling pretty committed to learning this time, and I really appreciate the help guys.

I will try to spend a few hours drawing tonight and post up what I do. As well as maybe some of the other sketches I've done.

I don't want to spam this showcase thread with all that though. Maybe we can create a new thread called "Learning to Draw...The GeekGround Way" or something along those lines. I know there is at least a couple other guys here who probably want to participate in something like that.
10/24/13 10:24 PM
Anomandaris
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here goes a few of mine.  Ive been slowly getting back into drawing.  

Lots of work to do but I dont think Im too bad.  

http://i.imgur.com/keiILbz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xs9ZNGw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pYYNAcM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eeDmROJ.jpg

This one was actually inked with a crow quill nib.  Fucking hard.

10/24/13 10:37 PM
Anomandaris
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be cool if anyone has any requests. I struggle with ideas on what to draw. Phone Post
10/24/13 11:21 PM
Macleod

Anomandaris -  It would be cool if anyone has any requests. I struggle with ideas on what to draw. Phone Post

Nice work man. I like the Magneto a lot.

If you're looking for ideas I say try some Transformers. That could be cool. I've been reading the IDW comics lately and loving them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.