UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Geek ground sketch thread.

10/24/13 11:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anomandaris
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macleod -
Anomandaris -  It would be cool if anyone has any requests. I struggle with ideas on what to draw. Phone Post

Nice work man. I like the Magneto a lot.

If you're looking for ideas I say try some Transformers. That could be cool. I've been reading the IDW comics lately and loving them.
Damn those would be hard! Phone Post
10/26/13 5:29 AM
RedDragonUK
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My worry is if we do it in another thread it may get lost in the heap of posted comics. If we keep it here we can keep a progress and exhibition approach really. Phone Post 3.0
10/26/13 5:33 AM
RedDragonUK
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anomandaris -

Here goes a few of mine.  Ive been slowly getting back into drawing.  

Lots of work to do but I dont think Im too bad.  

http://i.imgur.com/keiILbz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xs9ZNGw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pYYNAcM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eeDmROJ.jpg

This one was actually inked with a crow quill nib.  Fucking hard.

Nice work, and well done at having a go with the crow quill. They are a great tool for learning line weights, i used to use them before I switched to brush which is just a personal choice.

Some amazing inkers like Weems and Miki use crow quill and are masters at it. Phone Post 3.0
10/26/13 2:25 PM
Anomandaris
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did a Superman.  For some reason I find him to be really hard to draw.  I think this one turned out ok.  I needed to have more of a neck there, lol, but oh well.

I will need a shitload more practice on the S on his chest.

Drawn with my mechanical drafting pencil 0.5mm blue lead.  I like to ink them with the Uniball Roller.  A black line is a black line.

10/27/13 3:49 AM
RedDragonUK

Nice job on the Superman musculature.

I disagree with the black line is a black line if that were true there would be no inkers. Plus if you draw any kind of background with figures drawn with one line width you get camoflage and everything looks flat and detailed work can get lost very very easily.

Depth and light cannot be as acurately described to the readers eye. Contour lines pop much better off the page with a sense of variation.

I can't tell you how wrong that statement is. Guys like Salvador Larocca use a limited line variety but it is still varied and he uses wash techniques and spot blacks to compensate.

The Savage Dragon pic although you said was difficult has the most dynamic feel because its got line weight to it. Phone Post 3.0
10/27/13 10:14 AM
Anomandaris

I tried another Silver Surfer last night.  I ended up going to big and didnt get it all on the paper, oh well.

Good point about the black lines.

http://i.imgur.com/4T2QWIe.jpg

10/27/13 2:03 PM
Anomandaris

Just cranked out this one.  Leonardo.

http://i.imgur.com/eWw2JEt.jpg

I should make copies of these in pencil so I can ink the same drawing with different methods.  Or maybe copy this one on a really light setting so the lines are very faint and try that.

10/27/13 3:52 PM
RedDragonUK

Loving the Leo dude and surfer is very dynamic.

What you can do is use tracing paper or scan and print out copies in blue so you can ink over them and then scan again and so the blue line doesnt show up.

You can print out as many as you want that way and practice as many variations as you like.

Thanks for sharing It's great to see your work. Phone Post 3.0
10/27/13 4:19 PM
Macleod
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RedDragonUK - Loving the Leo dude and surfer is very dynamic.

What you can do is use tracing paper or scan and print out copies in blue so you can ink over them and then scan again and so the blue line doesnt show up.

You can print out as many as you want that way and practice as many variations as you like.

Thanks for sharing It's great to see your work. Phone Post 3.0

Can you explain a bit more about this? Any kind of blue? It just wont scan at all? That sounds like a good idea as I've never inked anything before so Im sure the first attempt won't go that smoothly. And how exactly would I print something in blue that started out black? sorry if thats a ridiculous question but I rarely print anything at all. If I do it would just be text.

I haven't really sketched anything myself yet. Mainly a bunch of stick and shape figures. Trying to learn the basics.

Just been reading a lot and watching a lot of youtube tutorials.
10/27/13 4:54 PM
Uncle Rukus
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anomandaris - It would be cool if anyone has any requests. I struggle with ideas on what to draw. Phone Post
The flash vs the original red power ranger Phone Post
10/27/13 6:23 PM
Anomandaris

Macleod,

I like using a mechanical pencil.  I also like 0.5mm sized lead.  So I just go to the local art store and buy Pentel pencil lead in blue.

I get these in blue in 2H.  

2H shows up a little lighter to begin with so its great for sketching.  The blue is even lighter.  It takes some getting used to.

10/27/13 9:31 PM
Macleod
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anomandaris - 

Macleod,

I like using a mechanical pencil.  I also like 0.5mm sized lead.  So I just go to the local art store and buy Pentel pencil lead in blue.

2H shows up a little lighter to begin with so its great for sketching.  The blue is even lighter.  It takes some getting used to.

I may try the same thing. I tend to use just traditional pencils because I find I tend to break the lead a lot with mechanical ones. Then again Ive only ever had crappy dollar store level mechanical pencils. That is probably a big factor. Id prefer to use mechanical as they just seem cleaner to me.

I am just confused on the whole blue thing. Is blue just an un-scannable color or something? or is it strictly the lightness that makes it not show up?
10/28/13 8:05 AM
RedDragonUK

Macleod -
Anomandaris - 

Macleod,

I may try the same thing. I tend to use just traditional pencils because I find I tend to break the lead a lot with mechanical ones. Then again Ive only ever had crappy dollar store level mechanical pencils. That is probably a big factor. Id prefer to use mechanical as they just seem cleaner to me.

I am just confused on the whole blue thing. Is blue just an un-scannable color or something? or is it strictly the lightness that makes it not show up?
Hi mate sorry I didn't explain very well. So what I use is a pentel blue lead I ordered from Cult pens.com, this is a 0.5 mm one but I will get a 0.7 next time as they break very easily so bere that in mind.

What you do after you have drawn with it is scan or photograph it and take it into photoshop or whatever programme you have.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156447

The other option is to do your drawing, scan it into photoshop and make it a blue line drawing, now a days it doesnt matter too much what shade of blue but try to keep it similar to the colour of the leads then print it out and you can ink to your hearts content.

I must stress ordinary pencils work just fine and drawing lightly works too, lightboxing a drawing or tracing over it will also do the job.

I will still use ordinary pencils for Black and Blue as I use washes from time to time but for the other company I work for I colour digitally so I use the blue line and ink over it. Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 3:51 PM
RedDragonUK

Some sketches of Dr Who in different forms

12/13/13 3:56 PM
paw
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice!

12/13/13 10:02 PM
BUICKEN
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

on super mans "s" don't draw the S. draw the fish shape, and the curved triangles. your brain knows its an s, but its a weird shaped s, so you unconciously try to make it seem right, like a normal s. Draw the negative shapes to fool your brain .
1/22/14 7:37 PM
N9K
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's some recent stuff. Pencil and black/white charcoal.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/nickman9000/Picture004_zps6784132f.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/nickman9000/Picture006_zpse3d14b2c.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/nickman9000/Picture003_zps7e9ef936.jpg
1/23/14 7:07 AM
RedDragonUK

Beautiful work Nickman Phone Post 3.0
3/1/14 8:48 PM
RedDragonUK

ttt for B17
3/2/14 4:41 PM
B17

Thanks dude!

3/2/14 8:26 PM
RedDragonUK

For NICKMAN

Superb work dude :)

3/3/14 6:00 AM
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm gonna check this thread out later. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:07 AM
RedDragonUK

Cool studies B17 I love Larsen's crazy experimenting and dynamic style, he draws in the same no reference way as Liefeld but you can see he's worlds away in talent.

Is that a Sakura brush pen? Not sure I've seen one of those. Is it a felt nib?

Check out the Pentel pocket brush pen when that runs out I highly recommend it,Charlie Adlard of Walking dead fame uses it and Duncan Fergrado the Hellboy artist. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:35 AM
B17

Larsen is my favorite.  I like that his work is almost....sloppy, yet he does it in a way that seems to work.  When he does put in that extra effort its ridiculous how good he is.  I do think that after 20 years of pencilling, inking, and coloring his own book cover to cover, he takes more shortcuts than he used to.  But again, I kind of like it.

I like guys like Jim Lee too but for me, Larsen sticks with a sort of cartoonish look.

I used a crow quill nib.  I dont recall the size of it.  I would prefer to use something different.  Its a pain in the ass as you have to clean up everytime you use it.  It also takes a long time to dry so I smudge about 90% of everything I ink with it.  I think I will go do Dick Blicks today and look for that pen you mentioned and try it.

3/3/14 8:36 AM
B17

Oh and yes, that is a Sakura brush pen.  I dont really like it.  But its good for some things.  Its just a like a soft marker really.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.