UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Tips on getting a guitar as carry on, on a plane?

8/31/09 12:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOW this thread blew up since i went away. thanks for the tips especially to Moke and Soriel, The suggestion of asking about closet space is a goodun,
I'm flying many different airlines, some of the main one is Air New Zealand but also LAN airways, US airways, Mexicana, Aeroflot, Airasia, Cebuair.
The little Martin guitar really is a small travel guitar, it could easilly fit in a overhead locker, if it was a full size dreadnought i could understand the hate.

Moke, i got it off Craiglist Vancouver S/H for 200 notes. a fucking bargain seeing as they sell for 1000 in Australia. Keep fighting the good fight bro! :)
8/31/09 12:25 AM
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't travel w/ my guitar anymore since 911 it's a fuggin pain in the ass. if i have to play somewhere i coordinate for a loaner. hopefully the same model.
8/31/09 12:53 AM
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha, FCTV808, i've been asked to stop playing guitars at many a guitar shop after they realise i'm not there to buy just to jam.
8/31/09 1:23 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moke, I would think the fact that I stated the simplest, safest solution on the first page that it should be obvious that I play & travel. Since you're so into facts it seems odd that you missed that.

Also seems odd that you totally missed the sympathy I was referencing was directed towards the plight of the touring guitarist & not you personally, but I guess every post we make has to be loaded with overemotional bullshit, so carry on.
8/31/09 6:14 AM
Moke
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Also seems odd that you totally missed the sympathy I was referencing was directed towards the plight of the touring guitarist & not you personally, but I guess every post we make has to be loaded with overemotional bullshit, so carry on."

You made one little suggestion that isn't necessarily that useful much of the time, then called all my comments bullshit. I'm so sorry if I didn't acknowledge your greatness.
8/31/09 6:47 AM
BarkLikeADog

"Most people's backpacks and other unecessary carry-ons are far larger, bulkier, and heavier than a guitar. "

Bullshit.

"But the better your case is, it also notifies the baggage monkeys that this is something worth stealing."

How much gear have you had stolen from an airline?

"Mind you, I'm talking about electric guitars...they are much thinner and low profile compared with a full sized acoustic."

Original post was about a Martin acoustic. So, 3 out of 3 points were wrong or irrelevant. OK, guess I'm a jerk for pointing that out.

I ship gear all the time. It way beats the hassle of TSA & lugging shit around on a crowded plane. But hey, knock yourself out.
8/31/09 7:30 AM
Moke
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever captain greatness. I listed a bunch of tried and true options specifically for what he asked about (and yes they will all work for a 3/4 martin). You go ahead and keep FedEx'ing your gear.

And I did mention using a gig-bag. I would never expect to get a full sized acoustic in a hard shell case on board a plane.
8/31/09 7:32 AM
Moke

Edited: 08/31/09 7:31 AM
btw, how much does FedEx charge for 250lb flight cases these days?
8/31/09 10:16 AM
The Double Deuce

I always check the hardshell case with my luggage. I keep it empty. I put the guitar in a gigbag with bubble wrap surrounding it on the inside. I carry it right onto the plane and put it ontop of other people's luggage in the most secure spot I can find. I have done this a few times with no trouble.
8/31/09 11:11 AM
soriel
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I just had a really crazy idea. If you are flying USAirways (and god help you) why not call them up and ask them what their policy on guitars is? Chances are it's similar to the other airlines...

I love watching the drama that ensues over the overhead space.
8/31/09 11:30 AM
lawrenceofidaho
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/31/09 11:31 AM
JackShrimp - Purchase two seats next to each other, one for you and one for your guitar.
 -Or a ROW of seats for your guitar if it's RAD like this one.

8/31/09 11:31 AM
angryinch

soriel - So I just had a really crazy idea. If you are flying USAirways (and god help you) why not call them up and ask them what their policy on guitars is? Chances are it's similar to the other airlines...

I love watching the drama that ensues over the overhead space.
they'll probably charge you $10.00 for the privilege of asking a live person a question on the phone. 

8/31/09 11:42 AM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My tip is  STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE!  You are "that guy"
8/31/09 12:20 PM
the venerable dr wu

thirdleg - "Oh man it's depressing having the thought i might have to give up the idea of taking a guitar with me"

Ship the goddamned thing, you gay donkey fuck. Why don't you fucking listen?????????

Why don't you listen you fucking dunce, i said from the outset it was a round the world trip with many flights, often a week apart, which makes shipping the guitar impossible (you following so far)

People giving me shit can fuck right off, to the others thanks for the helpful suggestions.
8/31/09 1:35 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahren_nhb - 
Moke -  Guitars are exactly the kind of thing that the overheads are made for imo.

Bullshit.

Overheads are for small overnight bags designed to...do what? you guessed it. GO IN THE OVERHEAD.

This isn't a fucking concert. It's a form of transportation. Get a hard case and ship it if you need it that bad. There is no reason anyone on the flight should have to suffer because you are incapable of understanding the logistics of baggage and transportation. Everyone is afforded the same amount of space. The aircraft were designed that way. Once you go over, you fuck everyone else.

like you say, its a form of transportation.

If I want to transport a guitar i have as much right as you who wants to carry on all his vibrators and dildos in an overnight bag.

There is no rule as to what can go in the overhead, just twats like you who think its for carryons only.
8/31/09 2:18 PM
El Maquina

The direction this thread took is absolutely hilarious.
8/31/09 2:37 PM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"There is no rule as to what can go in the overhead, just twats like you who think its for carryons only."

Ummm yes there is.  It has to fit a certain size.  A guitar does not.  See that little sign at the check in that says if your bag is bigger than this, it must be checked?  Does a guitar fit the appropriate dimensions given for a carry on?  Why am I explaining this?
8/31/09 2:58 PM
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guitars in the cabin are a safety hazard in case of emergency as YOU KNOW that that's the first thing the owner will sprint to and step on heads to protect when the shit hits the fan.

LOL

that said, there was a fire in an apartment building i was living in years back. and in my underwear, i had two of my guitars, one in each hand outside as the fire department arrived.

:(
8/31/09 4:16 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/31/09 4:21 PM
jay skelding -  fingersandteeth - like you say, its a form of transportation.If I want to transport a guitar i have as much right as you who wants to carry on all his vibrators and dildos in an overnight bag.There is no rule as to what can go in the overhead, just twats like you who think its for carryons only.no, you're wrong. You cannot bring a guitar onto an aircraft and stow it in the overhead compartment. The gate agent will have you leave it at the passenger door and it will be put in the aircraft cargo hold. There is a rule. Its twats like you who cannot read. And yes I know this for a fact. Before getting a job as an aircraft maintenance engineer, I worked as a baggage handler.

Size is the rule, musical instrumebents are allowed as carryons \

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

46 linear inches is the max size (mentioned before). Gutar cases are generally 40 inches

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DAVSKB18
8/31/09 5:06 PM
Moke

"There are rules. 45 linear inches for carry-ons."

Most guitars (and certainly all of mine) are far less than 45 inches. Hey thanks!
8/31/09 5:11 PM
fingers 'n' teeth

apparantly i'm wrong

but i've carried on my guitar.
8/31/09 5:19 PM
BarkLikeADog

"btw, how much does FedEx charge for 250lb flight cases these days? "

See, here's a perfect example. Who exactly makes a 250 pound flight case for a Little Martin guitar? You've turned this into a complete crap thread where the OP isn't getting helped at all. Congrats. My whole point with you was don't over-exaggerate & man you took that ball & ran with it.

We should both be embarrassed by this thread.
8/31/09 5:52 PM
Moke

You're the one with the problem. I was addressing only the specific guitar dilemma. You are the one who started blabbing about all your "gear". No one asked about shipping gear. Since my racks generally run about 250lbs, I thought I'd ask the expert who routinely FedEx's his gear what it cost these days?

We've got the guitar part covered, thanks.
8/31/09 6:04 PM
Moke

lol, I already said from the start, I never bring a case on a plane.
8/31/09 6:29 PM
FCTV808

WTF IS LINEAR YOU BUNCH OF GODDAMN INTELLECTUAL ELITISTS!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.