UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Storing Shotgun For Home Defense

8/31/09 1:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a shelf in my closet about 7ft up so there's no conceivable way my toddler can reach it. I'm assuming it should be loaded, should I chamber a shell or wait until the time comes?
8/31/09 9:35 AM
Chilito

I would leave it unchambered, especially if its stored high up. I'd hate for you to go looking for your hat and accidentally drop a shotgun with a loaded chamber.

It's not a terrible idea to invest in a small safe. I keep mine locked when I'm not around, unlocked but closed when I'm sleeping. It'll protect the weapon while at the same time giving you a little more peace of mind.
9/3/09 8:25 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/product-firearms/vline-1.htm

Get a VLine Shotgun safe, it's a quick opening push button combo safe. I recommend keeping your shotgun in there, chambered. I if I have to use it, I want to get it into action ASAP, and the first noise the bg's hear is the round being fired.

YMMV
9/6/09 12:14 AM
Andrew Yao

Shotguns aren't drop-safe, so it is possible to discharge one without pulling the trigger if it gets impacted hard.  The safety switch on a shotgun is only to prevent the trigger from causing a discharge.

Google shotgun "cruiser ready".  I'd go for magazine loaded, chamber empty, safety off.
A safe would be good if you can manage it, aside from the aspect of your kid reaching it, you also don't want burglars getting a hold of it when you're not home.
9/7/09 7:54 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/07/09 7:54 AM
The 590A1 was designed for military contracts and had to meet US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E-G requirements (http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+%28MIL-S%29/MIL-S-3443G_4585/ here for download). One of the requirements includes a drop test of a minimum of 4 feet onto concrete in just about every way you can imagine without the gun firing the primed case in the chamber with the safety on. Afterward they have to be able to fire live ammunition to prove they didn't break during the test, this is after firing 3000 rounds of 00 buck or slugs. To my knowledge, the mossberg 500, 590, and Remington 870 all passed the test (with the 590A1 and the Remington 870 both seeing military service).

I've heard a lot about shotguns not being "drop safe" but clearly the military test showed the mossbergs were in fact, drop safe. The remingtons were also supposed to have passed the same test. Makes me wonder how they aren't "drop safe" and whether or not the whole idea of cruiser ready was just so some chief could lawyer proof their department.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.