UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Finn Toni Valtonen swastika tats controversy

8/31/09 11:33 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

MMA Fighter Toni Valtonen Has Swastika, 'White Power' Tattoos

Toni Valtonen is a Finnish mixed martial artist who fights all around the world for Team Finland in the M-1 Challenge, including two fights in the United States this year. A veteran with a 19-9 record, Valtonen hasn't done much in the ring to distinguish himself from any of the thousands of other athletes who compete in MMA.

But he is now attracting attention for something unrelated to his fighting: Valtonen has a swastika tattooed on his shoulder and the words "white pride" tattooed on his back.

Valtonen's tattoos are not exactly a secret -- there are plenty of photographs in which they're readily apparent (see here and here for examples) -- but they've been largely ignored by MMA fans and the media, in large part because M-1 has required him to wear a patch over them while he fights.

But the patch over his swastika tattoo came off during a fight that was televised in the United States on HDNet, and the network later acknowledged on its Inside MMA show that it received a complaint from a viewer about it. HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon declined to discuss the matter further, saying via e-mail, "We did a segment on Inside MMA this week. Enough said."

read full article...

8/31/09 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a cool guy, even thought the tattoos are stupid.
I've known about those tattoos for ages and just waited for shit to hit the fence, or how does the saying go.. :D
8/31/09 11:39 AM
Michgan241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get this man on a UFC/M1 copromotion card stat!
8/31/09 11:41 AM
Brian Ogle

I'm relatively certain he won't be fighting with M-1 in Germany.
8/31/09 11:43 AM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/31/09 11:45 AM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mkou - He's a cool guy, even thought the tattoos are stupid.
I've known about those tattoos for ages and just waited for shit to hit the fence, or how does the saying go.. :D

How could anyone with swastikas, white power, and born to hate tattoos possibly, by any stretch of the imagination, be a "cool guy"? Is it because he shook your hand?
8/31/09 11:45 AM
Michgan241

YES YES YES - I can see people complaining about a swastika, but don't see the problem with "white pride".

Shit like that gets so tiring.

when you have a swastica white pride and born to hate i think its safe to assume the worst.
8/31/09 11:47 AM
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, he didn't shook my hand. Wish he would have though.
8/31/09 11:48 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's with the sprawl shorts with the fairtex logo stitched on?
8/31/09 11:49 AM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YES YES YES - I can see people complaining about a swastika, but don't see the problem with "white pride".

Shit like that gets so tiring.
You maybe, MAYBE have a case with the "white pride" by itself. But when it's combined with "born to hate" and what appears to be Nazi soldiers rallying behind a swastika flag, I don't think you can assume the white pride thing isn't racist.

LOL @ being called on pro-genocidal views being "tiring", sorry.
8/31/09 11:51 AM
jjj2121

There shouldn't be a sponsor that touches this guy...disgusting tats. Cool guy, yeah I'm sure he is a fucking phenomenal human being.

Side note, stomach tats on guys with muffin tops make me smile.
8/31/09 11:54 AM
GMan99
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't want him to be my kid's scoutmaster, but I don't care if he fights with these tattoos. I can see where the promotions and broadcast companies wouldn't want to have to deal with all the complaints, however.
8/31/09 11:55 AM
Kostakio
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's born to be hated.
8/31/09 11:56 AM
The Mouth

PrimetimeFC / Legends of Fighting, Owner
8/31/09 12:00 PM
Michgan241

Carl Weathers - The swastika was a good lucky symbol before the nazi's used it. It's still used in that fashion all over asia, you can't assume he is racist for having that.

As far as "white pride" how come that is wrong but "brown pride" is ok? He is just proud of his heritage, it doesn't mean he hates others.

yea it doesnt mean he hates others until you add the fact that his stomach tat says born to hate. and the swastica as a good luck symbol faces the other direction. either trolling or ignorant to racism yourself.
8/31/09 12:01 PM
jjj2121

Carl Weathers - The swastika was a good lucky symbol before the nazi's used it. It's still used in that fashion all over asia, you can't assume he is racist for having that.

As far as "white pride" how come that is wrong but "brown pride" is ok? He is just proud of his heritage, it doesn't mean he hates others.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm fairly certain the combo of the swastika, white pride, and born to hate make it fairly obvious what message he is trying to get across.
8/31/09 12:01 PM
Ecko Unltd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ecko Unltd/Brawlmall, MMA sponsor

When they are combined, I think it is pretty clear that he is not using it as a "lucky" symbol...
8/31/09 12:05 PM
BackStep

So the guy hates people, big deal. He's got tats you don't agree with but at least you like to think you know where he stands. There are a ton of people who hate and are racists and don't display it.

give the guy some credit he ain't trying to hide his views.
8/31/09 12:08 PM
The National

Twat.
8/31/09 12:09 PM
Mike Sanders

Michgan241 - the swastica as a good luck symbol faces the other direction. either trolling or ignorant to racism yourself.

That's actually not true - the swastika symbol was drawn facing in either direction by many of the cultures who used it before the nazis did, often with different meanings assigned to each.
8/31/09 12:11 PM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at the idiots defending this fuckstick. Seriously guys, find a better cause to rally around.
8/31/09 12:12 PM
Brigham
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/31/09 12:13 PM
Results4Real.com Low Price Supps!, Owner- Click Here!
 No different than the black panther on rampage's arm, the brown pride thing on Cain's chest, etc. etc.

I don't get it. This dude has tattoos, so fucking what. If you don't agree with their political or personal views, so what. Monson is an anarchist, has a huge Anarchy sign tattooed to his leg yet, no one is outraged over that.

It's fucking retarded but shit, don't come down on the networks. If the dude has earned his spot to fight for a promotion, then let him fight. He should get them covered up, no doubt. But the thing is, if what he says is true, about doing it when he was younger, unfortanetly, tattoos don't come off and a lot of people do stupid shit when they're younger. 

All that being said, he's a ritard. (to be pronounced like in the Hangover.)
8/31/09 12:14 PM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"No different than the black panther on rampage's arm, the brown pride thing on Cain's chest, etc. etc."

Uh, yes it is. Dude has nazi soldiers carrying a swastika flag tattooed on him. I mean, come on man.
8/31/09 12:17 PM
Louco

Dont know anything about the guy and am not defending him, but as people mature sometimes their views change. Young people get caught up in things and sometimes those things are things that are more or less peer-pressure/fitting in type things. Young people tend to have a little more anger about things too that they do not have when they get older. I knew a crap load of kids that got caught up in the skin head thing when they were early teens. Most of them really were into it because so many of their peers in their area were into it. At the time they may have been angry and racist for alot of reasons, but really deep down they weren't they were just following the lead of a group that accepted them. As they grew up they eventually realized they didn't really feel all this anger and hatred and left the groups.

Not saying this is what happened here, but you cannot condemn someone without knowing the full story.
8/31/09 12:25 PM
HELWIG
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy seems like he really mongs his hate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.