UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> ZMax?

9/1/09 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That stuff actually work? I see advertisements for it all the time, but have never actually tried it. I usually use Lucas additives and the stuff works great, but was thinking about trying this stuff out..anyone have experience with it?
9/3/09 4:28 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

generally speaking anything other than clean oil and clean fuel is a waste of money. if you think the engine or fuel system might be gummed up or just hasnt been cleaned up well in a long time try doing a mild kerosene flush of the motor and just replace the fuel filter and use good gas

how many miles on the motor?
9/3/09 11:26 PM
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

230,000 1995 Honda Accord
I hear that you should use stuff like that every once in awhile to just coat the internals. I think I heard that from a mechanic, don't really remember.
9/4/09 10:31 AM
Atecexa

coat them with what? for what purpose?

this is what oil does, as long as you change your oil not more than every 10k your internals are always coated

i wouldnt recommend a kerosene flush or really anything other than just good clean oil and a good filter. what happens with older engines is over time sludge and gunk builds up. lets take for example there is some sludge behind the piston rings and that sludge forces better contact between the ring and cylinder now you go in and clean all that stuff out and you have lesser contact which means reduced performance and youre burning oil. also too what happens is gaskets and seals can be swelled by sludge and such and actually do their job properly even thought they are worn pretty well. this was the problem back in the 70-80's when synthetics were becoming popular what would happen is because the synthetics cleaned better they would do the above of what i mentioned which is why a lot of people think you cant switch to synthetic on an older engine. this is not much of a concern today. also a load of BS is the mystical 3k oil change
9/4/09 1:11 PM
Mark1

You don't need to flush anything.

Use quality motor oil and filter.  you won't have sludge.

Unless it is a Toyota engine.  Then you will get sludge.  lol

Mark
9/4/09 2:02 PM
wrestlerguy04

Thanks guys..I appreciate the answers.
Why does my car seem to run better whenever I use additives??
9/5/09 9:51 PM
White347LX

wrestlerguy04 - Thanks guys..I appreciate the answers.
Why does my car seem to run better whenever I use additives??

It "seems" to run better, or it really does make more power while using less fuel? Have you documented this improvement with specific additives? If so, you'd be the first! lol
9/6/09 4:52 PM
wrestlerguy04

Well my car will get a little better gas mileage whenever I use some products..and whether or not it actually does run better it feels like it does. So just so I'm reading you guys correctly, it's really just whatever??
9/7/09 10:02 AM
Atecexa

it's like the guy that puts an intake on his civic and says wow man i can really feel the difference. it's all mental. if your engine was in such bad shape that just changing the oil made it feel better than you have some serious problems

mileage is mileage, your engine will make X amount of energy out of a gallon of gasoline period. pouring some crap in the tank or crankcase will not improve mileage on an otherwise healthy motor.

if you want to improve or maintain mileage change your air fliter once a year and use the mfgr recommended grade of oil. and if you really want to see mileage improve keep your speed 65 or under on the interstate and accelerate modestly around town, keep your tire pressure where it should be and reduce idle time as much as possible, especially in the winter. start the motor let it run about a minute maybe 2 but not much more and then just drive very smoothyl until you reach temp
9/11/09 1:36 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZMax was the name of my rear wheel drive maxima with a 280zx turbo engine in it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.